• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Solaro - too casual a cloth for a business suit?

NorCal_1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thought Solaro was too casual a cloth for business wear

does Solaro come with undertones of anything but red or orange? or is that it?

482ea7ceb306a_normal.jpg

yfyf

Affiliate vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NorCal_1
I thought Solaro was too casual a cloth for business wear, but this photo of Matteo Marzotto is making me reconsider

482ea7ceb306a_normal.jpg

While I like the look, I wouldn't call that business wear by any means.

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
With her next to you, it really doesn't matter what you wear.
mwink[1].gif
Really it's dependent on your business. I have no problem with it but YMMV.

bowtielover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It looks nice but seems like more of an evenign suit, something to wear to the club but not something i'd wear to work.

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NorCal_1

Real "Solaro" as Dopey says comes only with the red background. There are other manufacturers who make a similar cloth (in terms of weave and sometimes weight) but with a different background. I have two with blue backgrounds which a wit called "lunaro" =)

Then there are morons who call any fabric which has a different color on each side solaro...

Spark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have an Isaia made of solaro for the summer and it's absolutely fine for biz wear - question never even occcurred to me, actually.

Biscione

Reaction score
It makes a great mid-season business suit. But I don't really think it should be worn outside of Italy (Northern Italy, really).

This isn't just because I consider it rather imbedded in that culture, but also because virtually nobody would understand it outside of Italy. It's a perplexing cloth for those unaquainted with it, and it wouldn't go down well in an American office.

courty

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me if solaro cloth is available direct to the public from Smith Woollens or another source, and the approximate price?

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
While the story about the cloth's origins having to do with the alleged anti-radiation properties of red is true, I think in the past it used to be made in different colours as well. In an Arabic (as in 'run by Arabs') cloth store towards the western end of South Kensington I've seen something very similar in light blue with a royal blue/light navy cast. But the original Solaro is a Smith trademark and it now comes only in tan (herringbone or plain).

Unlike silk it is a rather austere cloth, yet it does not go unnoticed. At all. I've promised myself a Solaro suit if I ever get tenure--before that it seems too bold for me.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads