• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

So does this have no place in my wardrobe?

mixedmajik

Reaction score
Hi guys...since I've started dressing better Over the past 6 months I've been buying leather shoes only...starting with hush puppy loafers, then sperry tassle loafers, then suede bucks, and recently some ebay deal allen edmonds...

Now I'm wondering, does that mean these ralph lauren sneakers i bought in summer of last year and have yet to wear are pretty much a no-go/worthless? I ordered them to canada so they ran me about 90 bucks and I haven't worn them yet as I said...

Does this have no place in a gentleman's wardrobe? I'll be honest i did buy them for looks and brand name because i used to be into sneakers but now I've been getting a general feel that sneakers are no good to have around in your wardrobe and am wondering what to do here...Maybe since I'm in university still I can probably find someone to buy them off me for 70 or 75 bucks on campus if I let them see they were never worn.

Opinions, thoughts?
polo-ralph-lauren-burwood-canvas-sneakers-men-red-black-in-ny.jpg

Last edited:

AZsundevil

Reaction score
Classic Menswear, no. Not in my opinion.

But for Streetwear & Denim, heck yeah! I have a pair of red Chuck Taylors that I wear when the occasion calls for ultra-casual and I want to make a statement. I'll generally have them be the stand-out item in my outfit and maybe have one or two other red accents, like a cloth belt with a red stripe or a zulu watch band with red stripes. I've received a lot of unsolicited compliments on this. Other than that I don't see any use for em in a gentleman's wardrobe.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mixedmajik, one piece of advice, never ever listen to anything reevolving says. Do not be fooled by the fact that he has many more posts than you. Actually he's probably done you a favour by linking to one of his most ridiculous threaks...

mixedmajik

Reaction score
@AZ Seeing as i'm not really being invited or going to any occasions can you let me know what type of occassions you were referring to where this can be worn?

@Reev Thanks but the guy below you turned me off your thread a bit...

@Flyingmonkey To be honest I stopped reading after the first line as soon as I read "lower class people"...

@VM What type of occasions would you wear them on/with what kind of clothes?

From the responses so far...I'm starting to think maybe its not so bad to have a pair of sneakers...

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The style is fine, but the stupid horse logo kills it for me. I'd go for something with (much) less visible branding. Nothing against Polo specifically, I just don't do hugely obviously branding period.

I wear Superga sneakers pretty regularly in the summer. Jeans, decently slim khakis, madras shorts; it's a nice casual look.

Last edited:

Dib

Reaction score

The style is fine, but the stupid horse logo kills it for me. I'd go for something with (much) less visible branding. Nothing against Polo specifically, I just don't do hugely obviously branding period.

I wear Superga sneakers pretty regularly in the summer. Jeans, decently slim khakis, madras shorts; it's a nice casual look.

+1

Sneakers are fine in the right context, but the sneakers you have posted are not very nice (largely due to the conspicuous branding) and would look horrible (IMHO) even with a casual outfit.

If you can sell them, great. If not, then just chalk it up to experience.

CentralParkMan

Reaction score
It's perfectly fine to keep a few pair of casual street shoes, however I'm not really a fan of the pair you posted but we all have our own individual taste and sense of style. Basically if you still like them then keep them if not then perhaps donate them or sell them online. As for when to wear the shoes you posted, they'd be ok to wear while running errands or during the weekend.

HughJ

Reaction score
Sneakers (other than the very most sedates ones) look weird to me on grown men. I realize that's probably just my own personal hang up, though. I reserve mine for work around the house.

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These are fine if you're running errands during the summer with shorts and a polo (though I'd infinitely prefer loafers here), for heading to the laundry room if you're living in an apartment building or for while you're at home. Even for a very casual occasion, you will be fine and look better in loafers. You shouldn't get much real use from these, but that's okay. Up to you if you want to return them.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Don't like due to the logo.
If they cost $30...I would still not buy. But if you have them, just wear in the summer running errands..

Reevolving

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Here, loud logos declaring your false wealth are frowned upon.
No one here would wear those obnoxious gangsta sneakers.
You don't want to always be wearing dress shoes, but something like Keds for BB reflects SF sensibilities more accurately.
But, true style is all about wearing what you want.

Last edited:

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

These are fine if you're running errands during the summer with shorts and a polo (though I'd infinitely prefer loafers here), for heading to the laundry room if you're living in an apartment building or for while you're at home. Even for a very casual occasion, you will be fine and look better in loafers. You shouldn't get much real use from these, but that's okay. Up to you if you want to return them.

I really cannot stand loafers worn with shorts. They look utterly ridiculous to my eye, just too formal. Boat shoes, sure. Camp mocs, sure. Loafers? Please don't. And sneakers work just fine with shorts.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 38.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads