• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sneakers With Tailoring: Yes, No, Maybe?

Sneakers With Tailoring: Yes, No, Maybe?

• No, never.

• Yes, it can be done tastefully.

• Not sure.

Results are only viewable after voting.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The whole white shirt discussion happened a long time ago, and it ended up being a very long thread. I think it would be more useful to just read that thread, rather than debate specific examples here.

In the outfit I described, I would only wear a light blue or a white-and-light-blue striped shirt. But if someone wanted to rusticate it, I think tattersall would be OK.

Wear something like this but with a green corduroy sport coat and brown suede chukkas, loafers, or derbies.

View attachment 1676928

My green jacket is almost exactly the shade of O'Tooles. It doesn't seem like this sort of blue would go well with it.

I have worn the jacket with tan chinos, though.

Thanks for the suggestions.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I don't think I'd have any qualms about wearing these. It's sometimes hard to tell by the pics when it comes to shades like this, but to me they look like they'd just wear like brown.

Which outfit looks better to you?

Heathery-Green-Tweed-Sport-Coat_147j_R_2683e9c0.jpeg
alden-david-wood-loden-tassel-loafer.jpeg

Or

Heathery-Green-Tweed-Sport-Coat_147j_R_2683e9c0.jpeg
ALDEN-TASSEL-MOCCASIN-MOCHA-KID-SUEDE-666-4.jpeg

acapaca

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
With that outfit I'd be fine with the dark brown, I suppose, but I may not be the best person to say, because I don't own (or wear, obviously) that green kind of tweed. If I were to wear the loden shoes I imagine I'd be pulling a jacket more toward a darker, maybe chocolatey, brown.

Sometimes you don't know till you see it all together, though! You're sure right about that.

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd pair green shoes with tans, greys, and browns chiefly

Fwiw, I think this artistic/pictorial approach to dress is a bit of a category mistake, much like architecture that is too sculptural, to the detriment of the context and function of a building. But of course many like these sorts of buildings. It’s a very postmodern taste, whereas I suppose I remain a bit of a modernist.

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
But let's be clear that you also believe there is no way you, or presumably anyone else, can know what message any given person will receive.

But the point of taste in the traditional sense is that it only matters how the relevant class receives things, not “any given person”. Mutatis mutandis this is also how many style subcultures work.

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I liked his work as a self aware pastiche of classic menswear within a streetwear context

Exactly. I think the inspiration here was probably green Doc Martens—a punk staple. But JW is pretty avant-garde stuff, hardly classic. Maybe this can all be settled if those fond of blue/green Oxford just say they’re dandies uninterested in CM. To each their own etc.

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Brown corduroy trousers.
White dress shirt + tie.
Green corduroy jacket

Double cord separates? Bold. But look, if this is your idiosyncratic dandy aesthetic, more power to you.

I do think a lot of this debate could be avoided if we stopped the turf war about what is classic. Do you really care if there is a consensus that the above outfit isn’t classic? Because I think there is.

Hellbent

Reaction score
Double cord separates? Bold. But look, if this is your idiosyncratic dandy aesthetic, more power to you.

I do think a lot of this debate could be avoided if we stopped the turf war about what is classic. Do you really care if there is a consensus that the above outfit isn’t classic? Because I think there is.

I think the different opinion about what is classic are important to discuss. This being the classic menswear part of the forum after all.
At the same time, to make an analogy to photography, I view the consensus a bit like the rule of thirds and golden hour light. It's important to learn, but It gets boring if you never branch out.

And by the way, I still can't see how sneakers with tailoring can be so controversial. I mean it has been done basically since the 50s/60s, by people commonly referred to as icons, like David Niven for instance. It's not really branching out that much.

acapaca

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
But the point of taste in the traditional sense is that it only matters how the relevant class receives things, not “any given person”. Mutatis mutandis this is also how many style subcultures work.
Except in this case he goes out of his way to say that there is nothing classist or elitist about it. (Even though it's about harkening back not just to specific clothes from a specific era but to specific clothes worn by a specific class of people from a specific era. It sometimes gets hard to juggle the apparent inconsistencies.)

acapaca

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the different opinion about what is classic are important to discuss. This being the classic menswear part of the forum after all.
At the same time, to make an analogy to photography, I view the consensus a bit like the rule of thirds and golden hour light. It's important to learn, but It gets boring if you never branch out.

And by the way, I still can't see how sneakers with tailoring can be so controversial. I mean it has been done basically since the 50s/60s, by people commonly referred to as icons, like David Niven for instance. It's not really branching out that much.
Yes, I do think this is an important discussion to have -- if for nothing else, to settle on some ground rules. Just exactly where are those margins between categories, where 'rules' may stop to apply.

Take the case of Stoffa. This is a very well respected new and up-and-coming brand, as I understand it. How do we categorize their work? They appear to cover a range of...oh, how to put it...levels of formality.

Stoffa6.jpg

Much of it seems straightforwardly inspired by classic looks, if styled with modern twists.

Stoffa10.jpg

Stoffa9.jpg

Stoffa8.jpg

It seems that in each of the images above the look on the right is anchored toward the formal end of things and the look on the left more casual. Do the looks on the right qualify as CM? What about the looks on the left, what are they? Are they SWD? (The guy in the second pic on the left, is that sneakers with tailoring?)

I spend a lot of time myself in tropical places and in settings that make no specific demands in the way of dress code even for business meetings and the like. I often wear something along the lines of this guy on the right:

Stoffa.jpg

Except the shirt would be a standard one, in linen or maybe poplin, and the shoes would be loafers and not sandals. What would you call that look? Each of the three individual pieces -- tailored trousers, penny loafers, basic shirt, in my case -- are definitely CM on their own, as component pieces in a 'uniform' sort of outfit. But it's a casual look, with no jacket. Yet it's clearly not streetwear. What is it? What principles, if any, should apply?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads