• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Smart watches can they fit into our classic attire?

kaizo

Reaction score
So google and apple seems to have plans to produce smart watches but what is everyone's opinion on this? Do you think they have a place in a classic wardrobe?

I think they have a place in mine provided that:

1) The outer casing is designed by a watchmaker like Omega, Cartier, Tag Heuer etc... i.e. it looks like a classic watch.
2) The battery life lasts more than a day.

What's your take?

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No, just no.

kaizo

Reaction score
No, just no.

I don't think Patek Philippe will be joining the band wagon anytime soon so rest assured. :p (assuming you are a fan of Patek from your username).

I don't think it will diffuse into the ultra conservative setting anytime soon but for a more relaxed setting with chino and jacket it may become popular.

Godot

Reaction score
Sorry for bringing up an old thread but as the Apple watch has just been released, feel it deserves some discussion.

It really doesn't do anything that your smart phone does. It just does it smaller. I really don't want to try & read an article on something the size of a half dollar. I don't need to check my email every 5 minutes.

The warranty (at least on the Apple) is weak. It seems to cover anything that happens at midnight on Feb 29th.

There is also a built in obsolescent factor. The computer/tablet/smart phone that is state art today is worth $50 2 years from now and is going to need to be replaced. When I buy a good watch, it's kind of with a view that it will last for the rest of my life. A destroyable watch somehow seems wrong to me.

For the next decade or so, I think I;m going to pass.

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think something like the Apple Watch has a place, it's designed not to look too geeky and to be slim and elegant, unlike many typical smart watches. 99.9% of people probably wouldn't recognize a Patek Philipp or whatever anyway. :D

can i get a smart suit and smart shoes to pair with my smart glasses and smart watch? 

Yes!

http://www.businesskorea.co.kr/arti...industries-develops-suits-control-smartphones

A smart suit to control your smart phone and smart watch.

Last edited:

MTLGuy

Reaction score

Sorry for bringing up an old thread but as the Apple watch has just been released, feel it deserves some discussion.

It really doesn't do anything that your smart phone does. It just does it smaller. I really don't want to try & read an article on something the size of a half dollar. I don't need to check my email every 5 minutes.

The warranty (at least on the Apple) is weak. It seems to cover anything that happens at midnight on Feb 29th.

There is also a built in obsolescent factor. The computer/tablet/smart phone that is state art today is worth $50 2 years from now and is going to need to be replaced. When I buy a good watch, it's kind of with a view that it will last for the rest of my life. A destroyable watch somehow seems wrong to me.

For the next decade or so, I think I;m going to pass.

Co-signed. I just don't see it...

clotheshorse69

Reaction score
Does an Apple Watch work with classic menswear?

As long as it isn't a sport edition, and the band is metal, I don't see why not

Makoto Chan

Reaction score
A classic look is more than the sum of its parts, so a single modern i-Watch won't be the downfall of a conservative outfit. But it won't contribute much, either.

Godot

Reaction score
There is a saying at the race track, that if you get a single tip on a horse from a teller or a bartender you should immediately toss that horse from consideration. The idea is that by the time the information gets that far down the food chain, it's useless. OK I was on the subway the other day & noticed that several high school kids were wearing smart watches. I now consider them over as in passe, stick a fork in it it's done.. :)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics