• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Slim Fitted Peacoats

lsquare

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lefty
It's a pea coat.

Sure it's comfortable, especially when a nor'easter's coming in.

Not as comfortable as the cashmere RLPL, mind you, but would you really swab the deck in a 2K coat?

lefty

Do you think you can take a picture with the coat on you?

Also which version did you get? They have different product lines and I'm not sure which one is fitted and offer the best value though the price differences is minimal.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sgt_Strider
Do you think you can take a picture with the coat on you?

Also which version did you get? They have different product lines and I'm not sure which one is fitted and offer the best value though the price differences is minimal.

Not really a picture guy, Sgt., sorry.

The "Authentic" is the most fitted, though I admit I didn't try the other versions.

The RL Polo and PL I didn't like at all, though the vintage coat was very nice, fitted and thin.

The Schott is thick and chunky with a quilted lining.

My guess is that you guys would like the Trovata with its brown buttons and flowered-lined pockets. Or size down on a traditional coat and have the lining ripped out. At $100 and change you can afford to experiment a little.

lefty

Mentos

Reaction score
Wore the SW for the first time today (thanks SF). There are photos around of it, I think in streetwear. The sum of my observations is that while the style of the SW is a little understated, it's warm as heck (for a short coat), the quality is great, the color I got (gray) is cool, and the price is right. I sort of wish that I also had the same coat in navy.

As for Trovata, if all you require is clunky buttons, buy a woman's coat at a thrift store and sew the buttons onto a SW coat. But keep the original buttons for when you come back to your senses. This is pretty much how I feel about all of Trovata's recent lines, except for the sweaters.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mentos
As for Trovata, if all you require is clunky buttons, buy a woman's coat at a thrift store and sew the buttons onto a SW coat. But keep the original buttons for when you come back to your senses. This is pretty much how I feel about all of Trovata's recent lines, except for the sweaters.

I cannot disagree with you, sir.

Falls into the realm of "what the hell was I thinking?"

lefty

alflauren

Reaction score
The J.Crew "Baywater" peacoats went on sale today. They're $170, either with a standard or a Thinsulate lining. Code EPJG-1208 gives you 25% off $175, so add some boxers or something.

I was going to buy the Sterlingwear one, but I'll try this first instead. Easy to return, plus the description notes "Side darts for better fit." Sounds promising.

77709_WB2192.jpg

http://www.jcrew.com/catalog/product...catId=cat90204

Mentos

Reaction score
I have a J. Crew peacoat that cost more and is less warm than the SW. Fit's like a sail, to boot. That said, it doesn't have the thinsulate, so that might warm things up a bit. No side vents, either. The coat in that photo is pinned. J. Crew would never sell a casual coat with that cut.

alflauren

Reaction score
Originally Posted by riotshield
Is that J.Crew coat pinned in the back?

Probably to some extent. The question is how much. Like I said, the ad notes that it's darted, so I'm hopeful that it's not as full-cut as a Navy-issue jacket. Either way, J. Crew is on the way home from work for me, so it'll be easy to dump if I don't like it.

wEstSidE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Rakuten's coats are actually really small. Ignore the tagged size, just look at the measurements. The largest measurement they give on the site (for an "L") comes out to 41 inches. That's rather small.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sgt_Strider
Which ones and which brands did you see for $425 USD?

Sorry, thought that was clear -- the Trovata in black - size L.

lefty

Leslierc

Reaction score
The Polo (Ralph Lauren) store has a very good looking olive color peacoat that's on sale. The fit is VERY slim.

lsquare

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian SD
Here is my peacoat from sterlingwear.

I ordered a 34, normally I wear a 36.

508065fq.jpg

How would you describe the fit and quality of the coat? Your picture seems a little on the dark side.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sistersaucy