• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Slim Fit Measurement Sizes... Help.

Jay687

Reaction score
I wanted to know if someone could direct me to a guide regarding actual measurements vs. slim fit shirt measurements. Or give me their own opinion on it.

I would like slim fit, but nothing too slim or restricting. So how much extra chest measurements? extra waist? extra sleeves width (compared to biceps, forearms)? Armhole?

I am measuring my own shirt to put through modern tailor, but want to adjust measurements and hoping this info gives me a good idea of what measurements to shoot for. Hopefully they work out and give me a good shirt. I guess worst case is that I need to adjust measurements and hopefully get it right second time.... but shooting for a good try first shot.

ghdtpdna

Reaction score
Although I see that chest measurement is important, the shoulder width of the shirts is more important. It just looks so bad when someone is wearing a slim shirt and the shoulders droop.

Jay687

Reaction score
Shoulders are standard for any fit. There is no slim or loose shoulders. The seam should fall on the shoulder joint. So that is just a problem with a shirt that's too big.

ghdtpdna

Reaction score
Yeah that's what I used to think.
I have some shirts that fit tighter in the chest but more loose in the shoulder.
Also, they are bunch of pictures of "fit critique" on this forum where chest and waist are pretty tight but still with drooping shoulder.

Jay687

Reaction score
^Those shirts still don't fit. It's up to the person, but shoulder fit > chest fit. It's a reason for MTM...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads