• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Slim Fit Khaki's/Chino's

xanatos

Reaction score
Originally Posted by BB1
This thread has really gone nowhere recently. Now we're even talking about crappy Dockers, repeatedly! The only thing I've learned is that a lot people are unhappy with the fit of most readily available chinos. Yet few on this forum ever complain about the availability of good fitting jeans. Why do you think that is?

Maybe a better question to ask is why are chinos such a necessity in your wardrobe? In many areas of Europe people don't even wear them at all, thus they mostly seem like a North American thing. Are they mostly required for business casual at the office-- e.g. something dressier than denim, but less formal than dress slacks?

If that's the case, then maybe you should consider alternatives that are still passable for the office but less neutered and bland looking than the classic tan chino. For example, I've had much better luck finding nice fitting cords. Or what about some wool trousers which utilize an interesting texture for a more casual look?

Isn't this what the thread is about. Trying to find the perfect chino. Not trying to find an alternative to chinos. We want nice chinos and that's why this thread is here

grooveholmes

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bombers
I got the signature and the slim soft 2 weeks ago and they fit pretty much straight leg and not slim at all. The leg opening on the 34x30's i got is 18". I ended up throwing it in the same package and return it right away. I'm about to order the SF slim tapered and the wader hoping for a better fit.

Same here. I was very disappointed with the cut of the signature slim-- not what I expected at all. The slim-tapered or the wader is the way to go if you're looking for a slimmer fit/silhouette.

grooveholmes

Reaction score
It's a goddamn forum, man. Where else are obsessive straight/gay/other types going to talk about khaki's and chinos? Work? With their fishing buddies? If you want a pair of really nice chinos, then I suggest Epaulet-- those are the ****. Personally, I think every guy should have at least one pair of those pants because the price is a steal for the quality. But if you're on a limited budget, and are looking for practical, decent-fitting slim khakis, the new Dockers stuff is actually pretty good for the price point. If you think Dockers are crappy, that's your opinion, but it sounds like you 1) probably don't have them as readily available in the EU and therefore 2) haven't tried any of the styles we're discussing here.

Khakis are a pretty regular staple in North America because business casual is generally the norm, and they've been acceptable to wear to work for decades. I can't speak for our Canadian brethren, but I guess you have to be American to understand. I'm sure most of us have alternatives to the khaki available (I do), but as xanatos has stated-- this is a specific thread about a particular type of pant. It's not like we're looking to wear just khakis every day of the work week.

clarksdb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What's wrong with chinos? lol

If they're not the norm in Europe then i say **** EUROPE. Seriously. I find chinos to be essentials though I do agree that after 34 pages we still don't have any definitive answers to slim flit chinos.

whatever123

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
i agree with federer. chinos are really a must... so have you guys checked out these chinos by blue in green. if your after the best quality/slim fit these are really the answer to your dreams boys & girls. yes, they are a tad expensive. but these are seriously on another level in terms of quality and fit from what has been talked about in this thread (or at least the past 10 pgs or so). http://blueingreensoho.com/site/inde...mart&Itemid=28 they even make a navy! http://blueingreensoho.com/site/inde...mart&Itemid=28 if they have been mentioned...SORRY!

whatever123

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
^

those epaulet's look nice too. i wonder how the material is compared to bigs. the cotton used in the big chino is really thick. and its mercerized cotton so i bet it might even be stronger. the big chinos also have a slight sheen to the material, which may or may not be your thing too. in other words, it might be just a tad dressier then the epaulet. i usually wear mine with loafers and dress shoes.

edit: n/m i guess the epaulets are mercerized too.

whatever123

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jaydc7
does the sheen go away after a few washings?

yeah a little. its really not a sheen at all (i described it poorly) it just has a high quality fabric look to it. its really hard to describe.

jaydc7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I saw them in the store as was kind of put off by the sheen, they still seem like the best option for me since the EP chinos are a little too slim in my size.

whatever123

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jaydc7
I saw them in the store as was kind of put off by the sheen, they still seem like the best option for me since the EP chinos are a little too slim in my size.

i would totally get them. i doubt you will find a better constructed chino, at least in my opinion.

grooveholmes

Reaction score
slightly off topic-- it's funny to see an avatar of federer and read "**** europe" in the same line. but then, he is swiss...

whatever123

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by grooveholmes
slightly off topic-- it's funny to see an avatar of federer and read "**** europe" in the same line. but then, he is swiss...
calm down
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads