• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Slim Fit Chinos... Which are best?

SeanH

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Alfa
Also, I am not a skinny guy, but I still found all of the j.crew "slim" fits baggy and unflattering at the top block and thighs.

Have you tried urban slim bowery? They don't have them in the store, as far as I know. I can't believe anybody would consider them baggy, unless the bigger waist sizes for unskinny guys have a different cut or something.

Alfa

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SeanH
Have you tried urban slim bowery? They don't have them in the store, as far as I know. I can't believe anybody would consider them baggy, unless the bigger waist sizes for unskinny guys have a different cut or something.

I have tried the urban slim fit (I don't remember if they were a bowery model though) and I still didn't think they were very slim compared to inco's or even Zara khakis of the same size, although J. crew pants have never fit me well as I find the rise too high. I am 5'11" and a 34" waist so I wouldn't say I am quite obese yet.

CashmereLover

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jobro
Nice! They are very similar to a pair of Mabitex I just kopped on B&S.

Thanks.
bigstar[1].gif
I was lucky, these were the only pants in the current range of eHaberdasher Borrelli pants (at least size 32) with a foot/leg width less than 8"...

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JohnnyCrockett
J. Crew Classic Fit (formerly called Slim Fit) FTW.
I like these, too. Cheap and good enough quality for casual wear.

Jay687

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lee_44106
get whatever your budget allows and get yourself a competent tailor.

DONE.

I guess could cheaper and get tailored. But what can a tailor do? How expensive?

Originally Posted by RFX45
If you wear a 29 in 511's, chances are anything from BR, JCrew, Gap, Dockers, etc... won't fit that slim. Trust me. I wear a 30 in 511s and it feels like I am swimming in most of those pants. The only true slim chino/khaki I've tried on that fit real slim are H&M or Ben Sherman.

Thanks for the advice. While I don't want them as slim as my jeans, I still don't like my JCrew pants, especially the highish rise and big thighs. It's not terrible, and they look good on the models, but I am short... so the extra width matters.

I'll look into H&M and Ben Sherman. How is quality there though?

Originally Posted by lemmywinks
Excuse the rain jacket and the low resolution but here are the Uniqlo Vintage Chinos. I love these pants to death and I have another pair sitting in my closet right now that are 1 size bigger than the ones I have.

v7tuhd.jpg

Not quite slim enough, but not bad. Also website doesn't seem to sell slim fit? And how's quaility? Since they are pretty inexpensive too.

Originally Posted by Alfa
+1

I used to search out slim fit trousers and khakis (have a great pair from Zara with a bit of elasticine for stretch), but now that I have formed a relationship with my tailor I realize that this is an easy $12 alteration to do. I have had nearly all of my pants recut now from the thigh down with 7.75-8" hems. Just make sure the top block fits well and you can have the trouser cut as slim as you want.

Also, I am not a skinny guy, but I still found all of the j.crew "slim" fits baggy and unflattering at the top block and thighs.

Agreed. As I mentioned above. But if tailoring is that cheap, then that's pretty good. What about for rise? I assume that's more difficult (if not impossible?) so would want to at least get pants with the rise I want and the rest could probably be tailored slim?

I'll have to keep looking at the suggestions I've gotten. To be honest, many of you do say JCrew, and I think they are slim enough in the lower leg, just the high rise and big thighs (my 30 classic fit measure 11") are too much. And the effect of the wider thigh/higher rise is larger because I'm short.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jay687
While I don't want them as slim as my jeans, I still don't like my JCrew pants, especially the highish rise and big thighs.
I also think the thigh area is a bit big on the J. Crew. I still like them, but they seem to have more space in the thigh area than is needed. This is where I think the BB Milano fits better.

Jay687

Reaction score
BB Milano, those were mentioned before also. Perhaps those could be a good choice and not have to get them tailored.

Jay687

Reaction score
I'm looking at website now. They are on sale, although not much of one, lol. More colors available then Jcrew, the no-wrinkling would be nice, and they even specify low rise which is awesome.

For anyone with those pants... how low is the rise? Will they be worn on hips somewhat like jeans? Also, what are they true to size or vanity sized? I'm hoping true to size, since 30" waist and 31" hips. If they aren't true to size then might not make anything small enough. But we'll see. I'll do a search and see if I can get some information.

tripp

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JayJay
I also think the thigh area is a bit big on the J. Crew. I still like them, but they seem to have more space in the thigh area than is needed. This is where I think the BB Milano fits better.

Urban slim-fit pants too big in the thigh? They are literally skin tight on me! I like the rise tho, and regret that the classic fit pant rise has been lowered. I have to sit in an office all day! Has anyone tried Bill's Khakis M3? I'm looking for a slim, not skinny fit khaki with, I guess, a medium rise - between waist and hips.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tripp
Urban slim-fit pants too big in the thigh? They are literally skin tight on me! I like the rise tho, and regret that the classic fit pant rise has been lowered. I have to sit in an office all day! Has anyone tried Bill's Khakis M3? I'm looking for a slim, not skinny fit khaki with, I guess, a medium rise - between waist and hips.
I was referring to the J. Crew classic fit pant. The thigh area in those are generous.

NotoriousMarquis

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jay687
I looked through that long thread on it, but still unsure...

I wear Levi 511 (29 waist) and thinking of that fit (a bit bigger would be okay). The J Crew Classic Fit are way too big, especially around the thighs. I was hoping the Urban Slim pants would be better, but read that they are still big in thighs, just more tapered. I need slimmer everywhere.

I'm also looking for quality (I think the J Crew Classic Fit I have are good quality-wise) and reasonable price, definitely no more than $60-70.

Anyone have any suggestions? Or perhaps have exact measurements on some 29/30 waist Urban Slim.

Thanks.

IF you wear levis 511, as I do, then you will be pleased to know that there are chino 511's sold at Urban Outfitters and Levis.Com.

I have 2 pairs in white and kahki. I love them.
PM me if you have any questions.

bapelolol

Reaction score
any pants like Brooks Brothers Milano below the knee but slimmer in the thighs/top block?

I don't have experience with mabitex/incotex hem but looking in B&S the knee/hem measures quite large with the rise all over the place (9.5"-11")

JBA

Reaction score
Does anyone know where Dockers D0 fit can be found in the US? I can find it on one UK online store. Dockers.com carries only D1 plus which looks perhaps a bit too big for my tastes? PS If the etiquette is to use the ask a question thread vs the related topic smack me down accordingly.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads