• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Slightly misrepresented item on eBay

tundrafour

Reaction score
Having grown tired of being one of those watchless 20-somethings who rely solely on their cell phones to tell time, I decided I wanted to get a watch. I wound up buying, via eBay, a cheap Vostok that, though a little worse for the wear cosmetically, was represented as being in perfect working condition mechanically.

It arrived today and is almost exactly as described in the auction. However, the date function does not work-- it's stuck on the 26th. My initial thought was that I was perhaps trying to change the date incorrectly. After a quick look at a few web sites, I confirmed that I was doing it correctly. I then thought to look at the photos from the auction and the date on the watch then (a few weeks ago) was the 26th, as well.

So, my question is: is it overly petty to contact the seller about this issue? On the one hand, the watch was cheap, has no other problems, and I believe that this was an oversight and an honest mistake on the seller's part. On the other hand, this problem was not mentioned in the listing and, since I bought the watch for everyday use, I would appreciate a working date calendar.

I don't really know what I want or should expect to be done about the problem, but, at the same time, I also feel that I should bring it to the seller's attention. Any thoughts?

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It's perfectly legitimate to contact the seller. The question, I think, is whether it's worth it. Would you be willing to pay to ship it back for a refund? Would you want to return it, if that's the option given?

My key piece of advice is to decide what you want from the seller before you contact him/her. Decide what would be ideal and what would be acceptable. Then negotiate as nicely as possible.

Most sellers would be more than happy to make things right, I think.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 104 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 13.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads