• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Slate article on 2 spaces after sentences...

frenchy

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RSS
Sixty-something.

its funny u changed this from "60 plus" to "sixty something",reminds me of my aunt who always says shes 50 plus..yeah 50 plus 16.

tagutcow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stazy
You know a lot about random things. I like it.

It is only because, as a child, I read the classics:

The-Mac-Is-Not-a-Typewriter-9780201782639.jpg

There are many subjects about which I know next to nothing at all. Like, say, pleasuring a woman.

Originally Posted by pebblegrain
and do you indent your paragraphs?

In fact, my first few months here, I did:

example: http://www.styleforum.net/showpost.p...0&postcount=35

I stopped when I realized most people here have a half-assed approach to formatting their posts. Peer pressure, I suppose.

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm under 30 and use two spaces, simply because I took a typing class from someone who must have been from the typewriter generation and insisted we all use two spaces. It just stuck, you don't even notice it after awhile. Hitting the spacebar twice instead of once really doesn't slow you down at all and a single space looks odd to me now, after years of doing it with two spaces. Doesn't hurt anything, and only typographic nerds are going to get upset, and really who cares about that?

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cool The Kid
*EDIT* Even VBB agrees w/one space.
Just to expand on this, in case not everyone is aware, this forum and probably almost all web sites are going to ignore your double space and treat is as a single. This is because HTML ignores all whitespace beyond a single one. Most software will replace linebreaks with <br />, which allows you to have multiple of, but they don't bother to do this to preserve double spaces (or more). I believe Word also corrects double spaces, so all you double spacers, where are you typing them so people will see? I can only imagine just a few email programs that don't fix them.

tagutcow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Gibonius
Doesn't hurt anything, and only typographic nerds are going to get upset, and really who cares about that?

Whoah. I don't think you understand what you're getting into here.

I mean, do you really want to piss off a typographic nerd?

Do you understand what dire consequences await you? Huh?

Okay, not much will happen, besides us shoving our hands in our pockets and skulking off, grumbling something under our breath about how schoolchildren are taught to print with the Futura 'a' allograph despite the fact that almost no typefaces use it.

Coburn

Reaction score
Taught to use two spaces. But, I'm baby boomer gen.

warmpi

Reaction score
My keyboarding instructor taught that both two spaces and one space are correct. However, being born in the computer generation, two spaces was never really even a consideration.

The exception was when papers when assigned and page minimums were enforced. Two-spacing sentences was one of my first moves to squeeze out a few extra lines. It was a win-win situation: I didn't have to write any more, and teacher had less crap to read.

Originally Posted by tagutcow
Actually, one thing I often do that would make most typographers look askance is use a double-minus sign to set off a parenthetical comment at the end of a sentences-- the kind of punctuation I use in this sentence, for instance. Technically one should use an em dash character, but the em dashes in the fonts used by web forums are usually too short to be distingishable from en dashes or minus signs.

Yeah, I do that a lot too. I find usage of parentheses in sentences to be distasteful -- it looks out of place and just kills the flow.

IUtoSLU

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was taught 2 spaces. Whenever I see a single space, I have chalked it up to bad teaching. I never knew a whole world of single-spacing typograchic adherents existed.

rjakapeanut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've never used double spaces. That seems really weird. I'm trying it out right now and I think it looks ridiculous. It's probably a generational thing.

HEWSINATOR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I never used 2 spaces until I started work with a highly customized Word suite with strict fomratting and &quot;styles&quot; guidelines.

I suppose most places in the same line of work have this too. Our IT trainer noticed I did not use 2 spaces, I debated the point with her that it is no longer necessary, let alone wrong, and in the end just went with it, adding the double space. I thought I would take me way longer than it did to change the habit, but I imagine this post is typed with two spaces at the end of each sentence, I just do not even notice it any more.

The other debate I had is the use of the serial comma. I use it, always have, and think it is safest to use it. However, that is a debate in the office too.

boogaboogabooga

Reaction score
The fact that people are using aesthetics to validate or negate either the 1 or 2 spacing post-sentence is irrelevant. I've been taught to do the 2 space thing. I never really put thought into it, but mechanically when you think about it the period, exclamation point, or question mark signify the end of the sentence as the capitalized letter beginning of the next sentence marks, to the point of being redundant, the beginning of a new sentence. The additional space is totally unnecessary and though marginal, is an unneeded amount of additional work. I'm one spacing the **** out of everything, starting with this post. In fact, I'm not even indenting anymore. The space between paragraphs defines them as separate sections of text. Plus, the more I can tell people I write sort of like Cormac McCarthy the better.

CTstudent

Reaction score
I use 2 spaces, since thats what I was taught to do. I'm not sure if it's such a generational thing, though, considering I'm only 18.

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have to say, I am leaning towards trying my hand at one space. I have perhaps been wrong all these years and I went to college in an era with internet. Then again, I exclusively used Courier font in college...

The majority of the arguments seem to be "2 spaces is NOT wrong"
But, does anyone believe "1 space is definitely wrong"?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads