• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Side adjusters, belt loops, pleats or flat front trousers for formal office wear?

Ddubs

Reaction score
I'm looking to pick up some formal trousers for a smart casual office environment, mainly odd trousers to wear with a tucked in shirt. I'm undecided whether I should go for pairs with side adjusters or belt loops or if they should be pleated or flat fronts however. I'm not overly knowledgeable on the 'rules', so to speak, surrounding this kind of thing. I typically like to wear high waisted. It's also worth noting whilst I haven't expanded my wardrobe to blazers or sports jackets yet, I will be in the future and will want to pair formal trousers with these. I may also want to use these trousers for some casual purposes. At the moment, I'm looking at Rota's Manhattans, Westsides, flat front and higher rise trousers. What would you recommend?

Last edited:

CityDweller

Reaction score
You do you. If your office is like most smart casual workplaces, the vast majority of your colleagues will wear low-rise, flat-front chinos or jeans. Higher rise trousers will be uncommon, but no one will care. So if you like the look, go for it. Wear what you like. If that means stretchy pants and poly blend shirts, great; if you like the look of Manhattans and Westsides, go for it.

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm looking to pick up some formal trousers for a smart casual office environment, mainly odd trousers to wear with a tucked in shirt. I'm undecided whether I should go for pairs with side adjusters or belt loops or if they should be pleated or flat fronts however. I'm not overly knowledgeable on the 'rules', so to speak, surrounding this kind of thing. I typically like to wear high waisted. It's also worth noting whilst I haven't expanded my wardrobe to blazers or sports jackets yet, I will be in the future and will want to pair formal trousers with these. I may also want to use these trousers for some casual purposes. At the moment, I'm looking at Rota's Manhattans, Westsides, flat front and higher rise trousers. What would you recommend?
As far as "rules" for odd trousers, as pervious poster's have said, there really aren't any.... Belt loops/side adjusters are personal preference as are pleats vs flat fronts....

For me personally, I prefer side adjusters (with suspender buttons on the inside) over belt loops for most trousers... more comfortable, and can add suspenders/braces when wearing a jacket....

I also go mostly for flat fronts for odd trousers and a single pleat for suit trousers.

Your questions re not specifically answered here, but I think he has some thoughts on how to get started with an odd trouser wardrobe:

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I like belt loops for odd trousers and side tabs for suits. The Armoury makes their Model A and Model B dress trousers with loops and a medium rise.

I used to have a lot of side-adjuster trousers but I'm down to virtually zero. Over time, I found that any non-suit combination, like a shirt and chinos, or flannels and a jacket, didn't look right with side-adjuster trousers. This is especially true of jacket, trousers, and shirt with no tie. The whole outfit looks unfinished without a belt.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm actually on the opposite, other than none dress chino I probably prefer none with belt...

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I actually like belts as an additional piece of interest. I prefer suits with side tabs but anything else I will always opt for belt loops.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fortnitevbuckscard