• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sid Mashburn Suits/Sport Coats? Any input?

imolazhp_ci

Reaction score
So I am looking at getting a Sid Mashburn suit / Sport coat because it seems to be everything I want style/detail wise, it's fully canvassed, and it seems like a relative steal at $995... only about $100 more than a BB 1818. They even said they'd do the alterations gratis.

Any thoughts?

It says it's made in Italy, does anyone know the mfgr?

These are them...

http://www.sidmashburn.com/shop/tailored-clothing/wool-suit.html

http://www.sidmashburn.com/shop/tailored-clothing/wool-plain-weave-blazer.html

Thanks.

Renton

Reaction score
I've finally received one of their new house label mtm suits in Minnis fresco 513 just last month. Although I've only worn it twice, I'm fairly happy with the end results. So far it's better than my older suits from Coppley and Adrian Jules.

They're still working the kinks out of their process as my suit arrived with a full lining instead of half and a ticket pocket I didn't order.

I have asked about their manufacturer and they're pretty tight lipped about it.

Last edited:

matty long legs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I was in store in July and asked this to the salesman helping me out. He wouldn't answer. He did give me a lot of information on their belt maker, but nothing on suits.

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I've finally received one of their new house label mtm suits in Minnis fresco 513 just last month. Although I've only worn it twice, I'm fairly happy with the end results. So far it's better than my older suits from Coppley and Adrian Jules.
They're still working the kinks out of their process as my suit arrived with a full lining instead of half and a ticket pocket I didn't order.

If you don't mind my asking, what did that run you? Have been wondering what one of their suits would cost in a nicer fabric. How was the fit--from what I have seen, it seems like a good, fairly classic Italian fit, none of this slim-lapel, miniature-rise trouser nonsense.

Rumor is their manufacturer is Caruso, which if true, makes these suits a steal. No idea if it is indeed true though...

Last edited:

Saturdays

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If you don't mind my asking, what did that run you? Have been wondering what one of their suits would cost in a nicer fabric. How was the fit--from what I have seen, it seems like a good, fairly classic Italian fit, none of this slim-lapel, miniature-rise trouser nonsense.
Rumor is their manufacturer is Caruso, which if true, makes these suits a steal. No idea if it is indeed true though...

I thought they were all starting at $995 or something like that, 20% more for custom. Certain manufacturer's, like Sartoria , are above $2k.

Great suit for the price.

Renton

Reaction score
The cost was about the same as mtm from Samuelsohn, around 1250 if I remember correctly.

Details like lining and ticket pocket aside, I was very happy with the fit of the suit. It's one of my best fitting suits so far, but I will go for a lower button point in future. I think their standard lapel width is 3 1/4, but I went for 4 inch.

I would be surprised if their suits are made by Caruso since that's the step above their house brand.

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The cost was about the same as mtm from Samuelsohn, around 1250 if I remember correctly.
Details like lining and ticket pocket aside, I was very happy with the fit of the suit. It's one of my best fitting suits so far, but I will go for a lower button point in future. I think their standard lapel width is 3 1/4, but I went for 4 inch.
I would be surprised if their suits are made by Caruso since that's the step above their house brand.

Thanks! Glad to hear it fits well and is fairly classic. How are the trousers?

I would believe that about the manufacturer--I couldn't find anything definite about their manufacturer, just lots of things much like this thread with folks asking who makes them :) Regardless, for a fully canvassed suit in that fabric, that's not a bad price at all.

Renton

Reaction score
I haven't quite zeroed in with trousers at SM. I had a three pair made up in fresco and it took a few alterations to keep them from being uncomfortably tight, but the suit trousers were the opposite, quite voluminous.

There were also a few issues with trousers being made with tongue and hook when I requested button closures and when I was having the suit trousers altered they completely forgot the cuffs.

It's a work in progress.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As recently as last summer they freely stated that Caruso made their house suits but those started around $1200. I'm sure they had to change manufacturers to hit $999. And, hey, do you blame them for being tight lipped about suppliers? Why should they share that with their competition?

Personally, I never found the Caruso fit to work for me. The arm is cut too low. I haven't been in the store to try on the new house suits but was very impressed by their Sartoria fit and details. That is one of the better RTW suits in the low $2K range in my opinion.

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Want to bump this: any clarification on who makes the house suits? I've seen Caruso for Faconnable suits start at $999, but those were half canvassed.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics