• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sid Mashburn look

reidd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

First, I have to say that Von Franz, I would thumbs up your post 100 times if I could.

And I appreciate everyone else's feedback on this too. I can't deny it, the look is a bit precious. My favorite band is Belle and Sebastian, I'm ok with precious. I'm a younger fellow, professional, mid 20's, and I think the style is really suitable for my lifestyle. Full on suits just elicit questions of why I'm so dressed up (casual office, even more casual friends), but everyone I know just seems to intuitively get this look, and what I'm going for, all compliments, no questions. It also helps that the girlfriend digs it.

I get compulsive about certain things. This summer, I only wore neatly pressed white button downs this summer, when whiteshirtmania was at its greatest lull and people professed patterns are back! I'm getting kind of hooked on the Mashburn right now, I want to not only wear it but fully absorb it. Notorious is right, its probably going to come off as affectation at first, but what can you do? The heart wants what the heart wants.

Right now with fashion, I'm ready to pontificate at length about how the rules people make are useless (I really don't care if my tie hits right at the middle of my belt, or a bit above, or a bit below...). That being said, I am seeking the rules of this look, and you all have largely laid them out for me, thanks for that. I want to get them down pat and then proceed to let my own inclinations take over after that. Style is no fun if you don't learn to trust yourself

Going to move on that APC denim soon, Can someone recommend a specific sport coat or unstructured blazer for around $300? I love the Mashburn look, don't have Mashburn money. 

-Ron

Don't let the traditionalists deter you. The Sid look is really stylish and if you dig it, go for it.

Boglioli jackets and suits can be had on yoox.com for attractive prices. Until recently, Sid carried Boglioli in his store. They are minimally constructed and most will fit your desired aesthetic well.

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You're right- the Fitzgerald does fit much better, especially when taking into consideration the OP's desired style.

Not to divert the conversation from the thread's topic, but I couldn't help but notice and appreciate your avatar and username.

You're a fellow Warren Zevon fan?

That's OK, we divert threads all the time around here. And yes, huge Zevon fan. His influence was under appreciated in his time and he died way too young.

Also a big Sid fan. I live in Boston and find excuses to go to Atlanta on business so I can stop by the store.

Von Franz

Reaction score
I couldn't agree more about Warren's influence. He's been my favorite musician since the fifth grade, and my appreciation for his work has only grown since reading his biography and hearing the blues album he did with R.E.M.

You know, I'm around Boston, too, or that general area.
Glad to see that another Mashburn/Zevon/New England kind of person is on here.
Always nice to find a kindred spirit of sorts, especially as a newcomer.

Wooglin

Reaction score
Lots of great info indeed. I've been a fan of this particular style for as long as I can remember and have been a Mashburn-head for about as long. The most important thing I've learned along the way and what sets his look apart from others trying to emulate it is the fit.

Find a good tailor and make them your best friend! You will never really "pull this look off" (or be as happy with your purchases) if your clothes do not fit you properly and your tailor is not on the same page as you. I have heard from so many people how Sid and his employees all seem to be wearing things that everybody probably has in their closet already (khakis/jeans/oxfords/etc.) but for some reason they just look sharper, well there is no secret it is all in the fit. Sid's attention to detail is absolutely compulsive, which obviously lends itself to the "precious" look but if you look impeccable in a pair of trim jeans and a well fitting blue oxford you are pretty much set for life.

adaminaustin

Reaction score
I was glad to find this thread as I have seen the pics originally posted but didn't know they were Sid Mashburn.

This look is something I can get behind - I'm changing from streetwear to grown-up man style - and while I can agree that it looks somewhat contrived/affected, it fits that transitional need I have. I feel most comfortable in jeans/chinos and a button down and I really have no business at all wearing a suit.

I appreciate the knowledge dropped in this thread, esp by Von Franz. I need to pick up some 514s.

Wooglin

Reaction score
I was glad to find this thread as I have seen the pics originally posted but didn't know they were Sid Mashburn.

This look is something I can get behind - I'm changing from streetwear to grown-up man style - and while I can agree that it looks somewhat contrived/affected, it fits that transitional need I have. I feel most comfortable in jeans/chinos and a button down and I really have no business at all wearing a suit.

I appreciate the knowledge dropped in this thread, esp by Von Franz. I need to pick up some 514s.

Von Franz definitely has this down to a science, haha.

springboard

Reaction score
Y'all are killing me here with this "Sid-bot" stuff ". aka orig; Thom-bot/thom browne. Ok so maybe there is a bit of affectation. That said I hate to dissapoint but there is no Sid Mashburn look. Just Southern preppy/anglo traditional colors mixed with a healthy obsession of fit and quality. The Sid bot feel boils down to silouhette here (See Matt Photo circled above) if you want to pinch off of his style.

Best thing about Sid is my wife knows WHERE to shop i dont have to tell her WHAT to buy anymore. Plus service is RITZ Carlton A++++.

Bonus (when your in ATL) no need to purchase anything here if you just want to go there and shoot the bull i bet you will learn something... i always do.

...My opinion only.

Springboard,
Atlanta GA

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score

Y'all are killing me here with this "Sid-bot" stuff ". aka orig; Thom-bot/thom browne. Ok so maybe there is a bit of affectation. That said I hate to dissapoint but there is no Sid Mashburn look. Just Southern preppy/anglo traditional colors mixed with a healthy obsession of fit and quality. The Sid bot feel boils down to silouhette here (See Matt Photo circled above) if you want to pinch off of his style.

And yet you have people from other states and other countries referring to it as the Sid look. Marketing: Catch the Fever!

Gorpomon

Reaction score
Best thing about Sid is my wife knows WHERE to shop i dont have to tell her WHAT to buy anymore. Plus service is RITZ Carlton A++++.
Bonus (when your in ATL) no need to purchase anything here if you just want to go there and shoot the bull i bet you will learn something... i always do.
...My opinion only.
Springboard,
Atlanta GA

I called it the Sid Mashburn look because he seems to do it best. He definitely didn't invent it, unless he's secretly about 100 years old

deepitm

Reaction score
Anyone have any insight into how the Sid blazers fit off the rack? I know it's supposedly a slim fit, and cut a tad on the short side, but is there a brand whose fit is comparable? Just how slim is what I am trying to find out. Thanks in advance.

springboard

Reaction score
Caruso. Sid Mashburn's version is similar. His house labels are positioned to compete feature for feature with the next price point up. I would buy one. This or a Norm Hilton. If you hate it, without looking, im sure there is a generous return policy.

Thats what i would do.

Cheers

springboard

Reaction score
Slim as in dont size up. Not trendy slim. Lapel size is 3"+- so is not Thom Browne here...if that helps you.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads