• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

shrinking of american apparel polos?

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
does anyone know if and how american apparel polo shirts shrink? i tried one on today at the store and the "L" fit perfectly, but if it shrinks at all it will be too small. i asked the salesgirls and they were clueless for a second, then one said it would shrink in length but not in width.

who has the definitive answer?

i'm referring specifically to this model:

http://store.americanapparel.net/2412.html

Willsw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would assume, as it is made with the same material, it would shrink as much as any of their other jersey items; in my experience this is little to not at all.

Far from definitive. I'd like a non-pique polo.

Just looked at the reviews, commenters expressed their wish for AA to control the shrinking, that it shrinks considerably, and that it's better that way.

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
thanks will. i looked at the reviews and there seem to be different fits and different labels.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've found that AA does shrink about half a size if you machine wash and dry. If its the perfect fit for you, you should hang dry. I do that with some of my cotton Ts which fit perfectly.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Moved to SW&D - I had (have?) one of these - it shrank a little bit but not much, but the main thing was that the dye faded very quickly so I don't wear it anymore and wouldn't buy another one in a color.

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
Moved to SW&D - I had (have?) one of these - it shrank a little bit but not much, but the main thing was that the dye faded very quickly so I don't wear it anymore and wouldn't buy another one in a color.

thanks.

i forgot to mention 2 things. i bought one of these a few years ago and the color also faded very quickly. it shrank a bit (i also gained weight so i'm not sure how much it shrank.) and the collar lost its shape too.

however, this is a new model. supposedly they have addressed the collar issue, the fit seems bigger now, and i'm only interested in a white one and perhaps a creme or organic color. their large use to fit like a medium but the one i tried on really did fit like a standard large.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Hmm, no idea then... I guess you can be the guinea pig.
smile.gif

I have a couple of similar shirts from BR that I like much better than the AA, but unfortunately they don't have them this year. They are pima cotton and similarly styled but without a pocket and have held up really well through multiple washings.

KiwiDNA

Reaction score
I second the hang-dry suggestion. I bought a few of the 2001s and the 2412s recently and they haven't faded or shrunk a bit.

gdc_2008

Reaction score
I have a couple of these polos that I bought last summer (not sure if they've changed them since then). Both are larges (their large t's are too large on me, but the large polos are just right...go figure) and when washed and dried, one now fits the same, the other shrank quite a bit...so much so that it feels and looks weird if I button all but the top button (if that makes sense). I'm not sure if that is good or bad, because now I've found that the other one that didn't shrink seems a bit long and wide at the bottom (think I lost leaned down a bit more again)....so, no help from me really...they are hit or miss.

I ended up buying a similar polo from Bloomingdales over the weekend, their in house brand. It was on sale (still more than the AA ones though...) and fit is perfect for me.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads