• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoulder expression

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I went to Harry Rosen, Moores, The Bay, and several independent folks.  I live in Ottawa... not exactly know for high fashion...

Six hours from you is O'Connells, a bastion of Ivy League, trad clothing. They have all
natural shoulder. My guess is that with MTM you might be be able to approximate a more
Neapolitan style, ie, side vents , closer cut jacket,etc. Ironically, they feature the iconic
Canadian maker Samuelsohn. Full disclosure, I've never bought from them, because
I would want MTM which requires a visit.

http://www.oconnellsclothing.com/home.php

Last edited:

ballmouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
More shoulder lines on things I wore in the past when slightly leaner. None of these would fit anymore, but that has more to do with size than shape, I think. The last one didn't even fit then, in retrospect. I cringe when I see how short/tight it looks.

I personally like these fits (minus that last one which does appear too tight), even more than those you posted right before these. Any reason why you changed styles?

ctp120

Reaction score
Lots of small reasons, all of which boil down to changing tastes/needs. However, I would have kept the older stuff and continued to wear most of it (not the navy suit) if it still fit.

green garden

Reaction score
I have a question regarding the yoke measurements of the various shoulder types. For a given person's shoulders, do you expect that all of the yoke measurements should be the same? When I compare a natural shoulder jacket vs. a bald shoulder jacket, the bald shoulder has a shorter yolk. I find that the natural jacket seem to coinside with my shoulder measurement. But the bald jacket is smaller. Does this make sense? I'm asking because I plan to do a MTM and wanted to send measurements based on a good fitting jacket. But I'm getting confused because both these jackets do fit but the measurements are not the same.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"Does this make sense? I'm asking because I plan to do a MTM and wanted to send measurements based on a good fitting jacket."

I do not know if youv'e already done "remote" MTM successfully. I would nevertheless recommend against it.
MTM, even when measured by a competent in store professional, can result in an unsatisfactory outcome.
It's happened to me several times. At least the store is responsible and will cover the
alterations or offer refunds. Feel free to PM me if you require specific details.

Llamanodrama

Reaction score
My apologies for bringing a super old thread up.
What do u guys think of roping on my body type? Would i look better with natural shoulders?

For context, this is a business suit. thanks!

Attachments

• 20191220_232146.jpg
    20191220_232146.jpg
    198.1 KB · Views: 139
  • 20191220_231952.jpg
    20191220_231952.jpg
    237.9 KB · Views: 2,210

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Roped shoulders always remind me of Sergei Dreyden (right) who portrays the Marquis de Custine
in the extraordinary film The Russian Ark (2002):

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
My apologies for bringing a super old thread up.
What do u guys think of roping on my body type? Would i look better with natural shoulders?

For context, this is a business suit. thanks!

looks like you have narrow, sloped shoulders. i have the same and generally like a roped shoulder because, when you press the shoulder seam towards the sleeve, you get a bit more width across the shoulder line without needing to extend the shoulder. it's a small difference, but one i personally notice when i wear a very rounded shoulder, such as spalla camcia. if you're against any kind of padding, that shoulder can be a nice way to broaden the shoulder a smidge.

Llamanodrama

Reaction score
looks like you have narrow, sloped shoulders. i have the same and generally like a roped shoulder because, when you press the shoulder seam towards the sleeve, you get a bit more width across the shoulder line without needing to extend the shoulder. it's a small difference, but one i personally notice when i wear a very rounded shoulder, such as spalla camcia. if you're against any kind of padding, that shoulder can be a nice way to broaden the shoulder a smidge.

Very observant of you! I not only have shoulders of what you described, they are also unevenly sloped by quite abit! I am a nightmare for mtm tailors to fit haha.

Think that’s just a stylistic choice at this point

Thanks for the reply! May i clarify "at this point"? Do you mean at this age we are in?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads