• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should my sport coats match my pants in material type?

pbrank

Reaction score
actually both red/green and yellow/blue. It's not exactly how it sounds though, I mostly just have trouble separating colors that are close to each other. light pink/white, red/orange, navy/black etc.

VelvetGreen

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Orsini
Uussssssssssss.. [Sucks air through teeth Japanese businessman style and tenses visibly]

Very dangerous it is!

What are the colors?

Navy blue. Perhaps I need a second opinion. I'll post a pic, if it gets roasted, I will never do it again. Promise.

xx

AxlJack

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Klobber
Lets not forget you can rock a sport coat with cotton chinos, khakis, and jeans. Versatility is what makes the sport coat a mans best friend - it does not only have to pair with wool or wool blend dress pants. If you have a keen eye for color coordination and matching, world is your oyster.

+1

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by VelvetGreen
Navy blue. Perhaps I need a second opinion. I'll post a pic, if it gets roasted, I will never do it again. Promise.

xx

Getting roasted is exactly why James from the infoamous whatjamesiswearingtoday is posting pics of himself all the time?
nest.gif

westinghouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Matching fabric in weight is the most important consideration.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pbrank
actually both red/green and yellow/blue. It's not exactly how it sounds though, I mostly just have trouble separating colors that are close to each other. light pink/white, red/orange, navy/black etc.

I'm also colorblind, and sometimes end up wearing different colors than I think I'm wearing. I've bought more than one sportcoat that ended up having more colors in the pattern than I thought at the time. One coat has a red check I can kinda sorta see if I look really closely. That's weird even to me.

Colorblindness is a nuisance, but there are ways to work around it. I stick to "pure" colors mostly, avoiding purple, lilac, etc., and I rely heavily on the tried 'n' true combos -- tan and navy, gray and anything, multiple shades of blue, etc. I also tend to avoid patterns with many colors. Solids are easier to work with.

Another thing you might try is looking for color pairings in nature. If it appeals to the eye there, it will typically appeal to the eye anywhere.

The upshot to colorblindness is that I find people tend to like the simplicity it enforces. When I go wrong, it's typically because I've gotten too adventurous -- but I'd guess that's true for most guys here. At least we have our rods and cones to blame.

dan'l

Reaction score
One thing I would avoid is combining materials that are too different, for example, wearing a tweed sport coat with linen pants. You would be a bit like a globe, with the northern hemisphere stuck in winter while the southern enjoys summer.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dan'l
One thing I would avoid is combining materials that are too different, for example, wearing a tweed sport coat with linen pants. You would be a bit like a globe, with the northern hemisphere stuck in winter while the southern enjoys summer.

It's the pairing of winter and summer fabrics that would look wrong here. A tweed sports coat with corduroy pants (or the reverse) is a fine combination.

A good rule of thumb is not to match the colors of sports coats and pants. Otherwise, it looks like you tried to construct a suit from separates and failed, because the textures will always be different, even subtly different. Also, the darker and more similar in shade they are, the more formal the combination (e.g. charcoal gray pants and navy blazer are more formal than khaki or mid-gray pants and navy blazer).

Orsini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by VelvetGreen
Navy blue. Perhaps I need a second opinion. I'll post a pic, if it gets roasted, I will never do it again. Promise. xx
Both navy? Almost sounds like a suit... But, if it look OK, then it's OK.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads