• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should I still tip 15%?

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jet
Two beers for 15 bux, tipped 12 bucks because I didn't get charged two roy rogers and 4 rosemary biscuits on the restaurant patio we met up at for cigars do I gain sf approval???

Fail.

If it was possible, you should have paid for the uncharged items, then tipped about a $1 for the beers. If it was no longer possible to pay for the uncharged items, you still should have tipped $1 for the beers
smile.gif

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Ah ok, will keep in mind next time thanks.

adidasfan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Another New Yorker
I'm sorry you're so poor.

i am too it sucks being poor; im really trying hard not to be.

but even if i had Gorden Gecko money i doubt i would tip more.

i think its more a state of mind.

i just dont understand why i need to tip at restaurants.

i have been explained the reasoning but it just doest make sense to me at all.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You should still tip ... and if the service was good ... it should be more in the range of 20%+. If the service was not good ... then tip less.

I recall a waiter at Sierra Mar being very rude. It began with him asking how I liked the first course. Part of my reponse included the fact that I thought the flavor was a bit "mild." His retorted, "Well, it takes a sophisticated palate." There were several more quips of that sort during the evening ... and I definitely took that into account when it came time to leave his tip. I also let the management know why the tip was significantly less than might have been expected.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Also ... if a restaurant comps you -- in full or in part -- you tip as if they hadn't. The Carlyle in New York recently comped my breakfast. I tipped my waiter as if I had been presented a bill for the full amount.

deadly7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How do you guys handle tipping hair stylists? Do you go to private/local barbers, or to big chains (e.g. Great Clips, Fantastic Sam's, etc)?

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by deadly7
How do you guys handle tipping hair stylists? Do you go to private/local barbers, or to big chains (e.g. Great Clips, Fantastic Sam's, etc)?

I cut my own hair. I usually give myself $50.

BP348

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Prada_Ferragamo
I hope the waiting staff spits in your food every time you go out to eat.

+1

Being poor as he puts it doesn't make it right. If he's that poor he shouldn't be eating out anyway.

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Prada_Ferragamo
I hope the waiting staff spits in your food every time you go out to eat.

Places that have the potential of spitting in your food, don't deserve tips anyway.

Originally Posted by deadly7

15%~20% for the cut (or color/process)
$5~$10 assitants
$1~$2 shampoo
$1~$2 cloak

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads