• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should I still tip 15%?

Scrumhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All first generation immigrants are frugal and money conscious. First generation immigrants who came over while middle-aged are even more so - e.g. my parents. My parents knew what being middle-class in a 3rd world country really meant, so their habits from the old country carried over. First generation immigrants who came over when they were younger (like myself) are frugal but perhaps not the extent of those who came over when they were older.

Godot

Reaction score
I either tip 20% or nothing. If the service is bad/rude, then zip. If it's at least average then 20%.

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You guys give away 20% tips for average service, and sometimes tip 50%~100%, etc?
confused.gif
Maybe the reason you guys don't have money is because you give it all away for no reason.

Strombollii

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dragon
You guys give away 20% tips for average service, and sometimes tip 50%~100%, etc?
confused.gif
Maybe the reason you guys don't have money is because you give it all away for no reason.

or we're just not cheap/have worked in foodservice.

Strombollii

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dragon
or you give away more than necessary in fear of feeling cheap.

or I actually appreciate good service, and want to reward the waiter that's busted his arse trying to ensure that I received good service.

deadly7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Strombollii
the waiter that's busted his arse
What on earth do you people make your waiters do that you consider them having busted their arses for you?
puzzled.gif
Unless you eat exclusively at fine dining, almost all that a waiter I've ever had does is brings you food, asks if it's okay, and fills up your water once or twice.

Another New Yorker

Reaction score
Originally Posted by deadly7
What on earth do you people make your waiters do that you consider them having busted their arses for you?
puzzled.gif
Unless you eat exclusively at fine dining, almost all that a waiter I've ever had does is brings you food, asks if it's okay, and fills up your water once or twice.

If you aren't eating at fine dining that waiter is doing the same for a dozen other tables where the patrons are thinking the exact same thing as you.

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Strombollii
or I actually appreciate good service, and want to reward the waiter that's busted his arse trying to ensure that I received good service.

or maybe you are confusing average service with good service. Average service does not require a 20%+ tip, whether you may feel cheap or not.

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Another New Yorker
If you aren't eating at fine dining that waiter is doing the same for a dozen other tables where the patrons are thinking the exact same thing as you.

which is a good thing. An average waiter, providing average service, can expect an average tip from many tables.

CrazyJ

Reaction score
I've been a waiter for a few years now, so I'll tell you what I think about this, both from an on and off the job perspective. First of all, just because I'm a server, it doesn't mean I automatically tip 20%+ every time. The fact that I am a waiter is enough of an indication that I am not rich by any means, so if a waiter wants 20% off of me they have to REALLY impress me. Things that can impress me are: remembering my name, talking to me when you have a little time, having a good sense of humor, staying on top of your ****, giving me free stuff, recommending **** off the menu. And these are all universal symptoms of a good server. Those who get tipped the best at my restaurant are the servers who have their own group of loyal regulars that they talk to every time they come in, and if they keep tipping well, then they keep getting loyal attention and freebies here and there. For me, alternatively, my hair stylist is like this. I LOVE going to see her because I can always vent about the rest of my life to her when I go for a cut and she remembers everything, so I hook her up fat. 10% is pretty much the lowest I go if service was terrible. Case in point: took my fiancee to one of the most beautiful restaurants in tampa, a place that revolves 360 degrees every hour at the top of an airport. very much fine dining. Kinda expensive, so not that many people at any hour. So despite the restaurant being kind of empty, with sufficient staff to not actually be weeded, my server spent more time chatting it up with the pretty hostess than actually paying attention to the fact that I was a thirsty ******. Can't blame the guy anyway, a pretty hostess is worth way more than one decent tip when you only have one table. So he got what he deserved. Next point: the people who piss me off aren't the ones who don't hook me up when my service is impeccable, but the ones who are fully capable of tipping well BUT DON'T, making themselves look like a ******* tool to the rest of the table when they BEG for the bill. Like I said before, I'm by no means rich; I'm a server, so I know how it feels. If I'm serving an african-american family of eight kids and they're all wearing **** from K-mart, well, I'll be damn happy if they give me 15%. For them, that's a lot, but you know sometimes they do it, and I'm content. I'll admit, those types of families are the hardest of them all, because their bill will always be really low from ordering tons of kids' meals and fried appetizers for entrees instead of steaks, yet the amount of work required for that type of family far exceeds any other type of party. But again, I really don't mind if they leave me as much as they can afford (I've seen whole families like this one have a big discussion over it, because they knew my service was great and didn't want to leave me jilted), because it just shows me they're trying, and they acknowledge how ****** my job can be and the fact that I rely on them for my wage. Here's two examples of clients that make me hulk-angry to the point that I have to go back to the kitchen and throw forks at the wall: Sunday morning, church crowd. Family of six, pretty well off... they're all dressed in silk clothes, wearing diamond jewelry, beautiful dresses, etc. Service was absolutely perfect. I am left 10%. You know what I did? I "accidentally" left a ramekin of mayonnaise on the floor by where they'd be leaving. Stupid pig whore punted that **** all over her dress, and I got the last laugh. Even though she made my manager wipe it off her leg while she blabbered "IM NEVER COMING BACK AGAIN BLAH BLAH BLAH" gooooood ******* riddance. Another, more generic example: the typical upper middle class white family. Look dude, I know you guys got money. You have three children, they're well-trained, which means that you can actually afford to correctly parent your children. You have a beautiful looking wife, everyone's clothes are ironed, and you're all ordering 15$+ steaks. It's plainly obvious. We're all friendly to each other, there is no ill demeanor. Hell, I like you and your perfect family so much, salads are on the house. Jee, what a nice guy I am. But what does he end up leaving me in the end? 10%. You guessed it. And you know what? There won't be anything any server can do in this world that will change that cheap, frugal ************* guy from actually caring. I also find almost all Spanish immigrants to be the worst tippers possible. If they don't speak English, I probably won't get much from them, even though they won't mind ordering themselves the largest filet mignon on the menu with four sides of potatoes. I won't get into that though, as it's kind of a touchy subject. Not all Spanish people are bad tippers, and the older generations tip bad for the same reason any old person doesn't tip good: because they don't know and don't care. It's the younger Spanish immigrants that piss me off a bit, because they should know it by now and not be such a cheap guido douche with their fuckin club blitz-wearing girlfriends. Quit ordering yourself ******* shots of petron and think about your waiter at the end for once, god ******* damn. Should be a damn prerequisite to get legal residence here, and that's coming from a green card-toter myself. Harley davidson dudes are pretty bad too. Always seem like nice people when you hit it off with them, and they'll order themselves 22oz porterhouses, but they tip me **** often despite the fact that I can actually remember their names. Personally, I blame Oprah. ***** said on television it's okay to tip 10%, so a lot of people take it as gospel now. ugh. Anyways, there you go. Ramblings, ravings, and ranting from the very person who serves you himself.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Tipped the waiter $120 last weekend.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chief41510