• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should I still tip 15%?

MrDaniels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kmwrestle
I work at a car dealership and the joke re: Indian people is:

"Actually, my cousin in New Jersey, he bought this car for <<Insert stupid low number>>

Indian people always say actually and they all seem to have a cousin in new jersey who bought a car for a totally unrealistic number.

In my experience they think EVERYTHING is a negotiation. I once saw a guy try to get a tour guide to re-route a bus route as per his family's needs.

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
I tip as generously as possible, whenever possible.

I tip at least a dollar even if all I am having is swill coffee at a truck stop.

I've heard too many horror stories from friends in hospitality, I feel like a dick if I tip less than 20% for good service.

ALFAMALE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
unless your this guy...

mrpink.jpg

BP348

Reaction score
Originally Posted by deadly7
2. While you may all laugh at the idea of "Red Lobster" being considered "high class," just remember, not everyone is as well off as you. Don't knock other people down just because they didn't have the same fortunes growing up that you did; it just makes you look like a huge douche.

That^ was well said. Also I hate to burst the bubble but this is the internet and I would venture a guess that there are plenty of posters on SF who are not as well off as they would have people believe. I know big shock!!
smile.gif

fredfred

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KeatonCollar
I hope you make an ass of yourself in public one day because of your prejudiced views.

And maybe someday you'll show yourself to be a conceited supposedly know-it-all, holier-than-thou prick in public. Oh, already done.

Am I prejudiced if I think Italians like pasta and canoli? Am I prejudiced if I think most Jews don't eat pork? I'm I prejudice if I think protestants are more conservative than the average person who lives in San Francisco?

Or am I observant and know something about life?

I'll stick with my 99 to 1 odds, if that's what they are.

KeatonCollar

Reaction score
Originally Posted by fredfred
And maybe someday you'll show yourself to be a conceited supposedly know-it-all, holier-than-thou prick in public. Oh, already done.

Am I prejudiced if I think Italians like pasta and canoli? Am I prejudiced if I think most Jews don't eat pork? I'm I prejudice if I think protestants are more conservative than the average person who lives in San Francisco?

Or am I observant and know something about life?

I'll stick with my 99 to 1 odds, if that's what they are.

Oh yeah, real ******* observant. So I suppose you agree that 99 to 1 odds that Jews are cheap too? Thats a popular stereotype that has been "observed" by many.

Dude, you are small minded.

Another New Yorker

Reaction score
Originally Posted by KeatonCollar
Oh yeah, real ******* observant. So I suppose you agree that 99 to 1 odds that Jews are cheap too? Thats a popular stereotype that has been "observed" by many.

Dude, you are small minded.

This is ridiculous. My parents are Asian. Their friends are asian. They are all stingier than most white middle class Americans of the same economic status. I am not. Thus, "all Asians are stingy" is false. However, "more Asians are stingy than comparable white Americans are stingy" is a perfectly valid statement.

Similarly I have Jewish friends who have made the same observations.

I have French friends who note their parents spend lavishly on eating well compared to others of the same economic class.

It's not prejudice. It's not even a bad thing. I don't look down at anyone for being stingy nor do I look up to someone for being a little carefree with their money.

fredfred

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The guy has just graduated from college, so he does think he knows everything, plus he's been brainwashed by the institutionalized &quot;white people bad, evil racists&quot; crowd. He also calls children mongoloids (classy!) and assumes sales associates are racist and think he is cheap 'cause he is &quot;brown&quot;. I suspect the real reason they avoid him is because he gives off an obnoxious &quot;I know everything&quot; or (&quot;white people are racist&quot;) aura that is grating. Eventually it'll pass, but this one is going to take many years to dissipate.

KeatonCollar

Reaction score
Originally Posted by fredfred
The guy has just graduated from college, so he does think he knows everything, plus he's been brainwashed by the institutionalized "white people bad, evil racists" crowd. He also calls children mongoloids (classy!) and assumes sales associates are racist and think he is cheap 'cause he is "brown". I suspect the real reason they avoid him is because he gives off an obnoxious "I know everything" or ("white people are racist") aura that is grating. Eventually it'll pass, but this one is going to take many years to dissipate.

Desperation...

bBoy JEe

Reaction score
I used to work the bottle service for banquets. The worst tip I had was $1 on a $149 bottle of wine.

Wanna be big-timer tasted the wine and said, "I like it, you can pour it." I wanted to say, the only reason I let you taste is to see if the wine is corked. You think I'm going to take it back if you don't like it?

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it's a common misconception that you taste the wine at a restaurant to see if you like it.

Monaco

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Another New Yorker
This is ridiculous. My parents are Asian. Their friends are asian. They are all stingier than most white middle class Americans of the same economic status. I am not. Thus, "all Asians are stingy" is false. However, "more Asians are stingy than comparable white Americans are stingy" is a perfectly valid statement.

Similarly I have Jewish friends who have made the same observations.

I have French friends who note their parents spend lavishly on eating well compared to others of the same economic class.

It's not prejudice. It's not even a bad thing. I don't look down at anyone for being stingy nor do I look up to someone for being a little carefree with their money.

Being frugal and stingy are different things. My mom and her family grew up poor in Taiwan but now are rather successful and still hold onto the values they grew up on, I can't tell you how many old ass brooms she still uses that I would've replaced for for her long ago. Things are just different when you grow up poor, every penny counts.

I actually tip more to small restaurant/mom n pop waiter/waitresses than the more fancier establishments. But I rate performance by how busy the server actually is.

KenN

Reaction score
Originally Posted by intent
I think it's a common misconception that you taste the wine at a restaurant to see if you like it.

On a related note, is it a faux pas to not order wine in higher-end restaurants? Will the service staff view you differently?

rocks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Douglas
Along similar lines, I get aggravated when I pay by CC for carry-out and get that tips line. Argh. I guess it usually happens at my little corner joints where they also serve dine-in and it's impossible to set the machine to print two different ways, but it chafes me nonetheless. Probably because about 20% of the time I knuckle under and leave a few bucks anyways, and leave muttering to myself.

lol8[1].gif
I use to do that before but not anymore, I now draw a line or simply insert a null symbol.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alphalabscbdus