• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should I or shouldn't I buy... (clothing item)?

Citaro

Reaction score
I have those boots. Haven't worn them a lot yet since I'm lazy and haven't added a topy sole, I really love them, but they're not stitched down if you care about that sort of stuff.

Darkside

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have those boots. Haven't worn them a lot yet since I'm lazy and haven't added a topy sole, I really love them, but they're not stitched down if you care about that sort of stuff.

Awesome. I ordered them in the same size as my GATs.

Do you Topy all your leather-soled shoes?

Timbaland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any experience with the brand Nuur for knits? Seems like its a farfetch specific brand? They seem to have some reasonably priced stuff but would love to know if anyone else has had experience. Thinking of pieces like this: https://www.farfetch.com/shopping/m...65119.aspx?storeid=9681&from=listing&tglmdl=1

Nuur is a sister company of Roberto Collina, you can find a lot of their stuff on Yoox. I had their stuff and RC before, basically it's a mid-tier Italian brand (mainly focuses on knits) that makes their clothes there.

Quality is better than any mall brand like J Crew and other brands like Theory and Vince.

Benesyed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some items are truly nice too and may be more mid upper. Upper tier keep in mind being 500+ dollar baller knits

yoshimagikmagik

Reaction score
Thanks @Timbaland and @Benesyed !! So, just out of curiosity, what separates a mid from upper tier knit in your opinion (besides price obviously)? I've read a fair bit of the Epicurean knits forum which was really interesting, but I failed to grasp what separated the good from the great. My idea of good is that the material is good, it often has bulk (though not always), and is doing something interesting with the design or fit. But, perhaps, in a more general sense, what's your thoughts on it? To put a finer point on it with an example from timbaland earlier, why is nuur a mid to upper tier vs JCrew is lower vs say, Scott and Charters is perhaps upper tier?

Timbaland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@yoshimagikmagik I would say material and craftsmanship separates mid tier from upper tier. There is a difference in materials used whether it is wool, cashmere, etc. The length of the fiber makes a difference too. I can't remember the details but look up Loro Piana wool. J Crew doesn't use nice wool.

The epicurean knits thread is more for awesome knits, it doesn't mean every knit posted there is upper tier. The design and detailing on them is super nice though.

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Best Roberto Collina knit from previous season, and I got it

bf1fca05edbcb1c4b32c2b78968fecff--male-fashion-cardigan.jpg

I also have a Nuur wool coat, which I still wear from a few years back. You have to eye a certain eye to spot out the gems with both brands IMO. Yoox is a good place to look. Every year I try to take a look at current offerings but IMO it does not match up to the previous stuff. That said half the fun is always looking to see what's new.

This was another great one but I sold, Nuur long coat in gray

Nuur gray long coat.png Nuur gray long coat 2.png

troika

Coco the Monkey
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I have those as well. They're kind of a pain to get on/off and I'd say they run a tad short

Timbaland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Best Roberto Collina knit from previous season, and I got it

That knit was dope. I tried out a couple of Collina knit blazers but they were just alright, didn't have the slouch from the lookbook on me. I ended up getting a Geller Richard jacket.

I agree on the RC stuff being better before. I had a couple knits that I've outgrown, this one from the same season as what you posted:

RobertoCollinaFallWinter2011I.jpg

******* bugs destroyed it so I tossed it. Can't find a pic of the awesome funnel neck thing I had.

Benesyed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a really nice soft slouchy simple cardigan from RC that is not epicurean but it's very solid mid tier. The wool is soft, it's held up well over time and it's fairly warm

ff257175-a24e-4b1c-87cf-13f4a825ad18.jpg

The other cardigan I have by them is a bit warmer and chunkier

557c9cde-1014-40e3-a347-2a732d478c7f.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads