• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should I or shouldn't I buy... (clothing item)?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I've been thinking about picking up a hat to go with RRL type fits. Does anyone have thoughts on the Stetson Stratoliner vs Open Road? I think @RegisDB9 picked up an Open Roady hat from Nick Fouquet, right? Is that cattleman crease too yeehaw?

tfstrob1024_natural_2.jpg
sfoprd-0526_silverbelly_2.jpg

DavidLane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been thinking about picking up a hat to go with RRL type fits. Does anyone have thoughts on the Stetson Stratoliner vs Open Road? I think @RegisDB9 picked up an Open Roady hat from Nick Fouquet, right? Is that cattleman crease too yeehaw?

View attachment 1510476 View attachment 1510477

Which ever way you go I would keep the brim up and not snapped down in front. I think the Open Road is a better match to RRL, but I like the color on the Stratoliner better.

-DL

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just go full Benny Watts

1607185525782.jpeg

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I've had an Open Road for years, I think it's easier to wear than a fedora. I dont' wear it that often tbh, but I spend a lot of time in the high desert - Joshua Tree/Pioneertown area - and I wear it there.

Understatesman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Bingo! Think I found it. It is a Rogue Territory Supply jacket but not their regular model. It's a Stag exclusive here:

Which is great because they're just down the road from me and I can go check em out in person.

Alexidb

Reaction score
I might put the money towards a canoeist smock from hawkwood. I wish they had a website that I could pourooze

Kawrou

Reaction score
DSC02548.jpg

I'm thinking about this jacket but wanted some opinions. I've tried it on and think it looked great with jeans but not sure with other trousers like cords or moleskin. Think it would be fine. I think its a 380g fabric from fox Brothers.

It would be my first nice sports jacket so not sure if should go with some darker like a brown or navy instead. Though where I work is really casual so I dont actually need anything formal. I'm more of a size 46 whilst this is a 48. Its only slightly bigger or longer than what I think my size is, but I think the weight of the fabric gives it a nice drape and more comfort than a 46.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
View attachment 1512050
I'm thinking about this jacket but wanted some opinions. I've tried it on and think it looked great with jeans but not sure with other trousers like cords or moleskin. Think it would be fine. I think its a 380g fabric from fox Brothers.

It would be my first nice sports jacket so not sure if should go with some darker like a brown or navy instead. Though where I work is really casual so I dont actually need anything formal. I'm more of a size 46 whilst this is a 48. Its only slightly bigger or longer than what I think my size is, but I think the weight of the fabric gives it a nice drape and more comfort than a 46.

For your first sport coat, I would definitely get navy instead. You'll find that it's easier to wear (the above might be difficult to pair with grey flannels, a staple in tailored wardrobes) and is the kind of thing you can wear multiple times a week without anyone noticing (if you ever need to). A navy sport coat can be made to look different with various tie and shirt combos. Plus, if you put your money towards one really good navy sport coat, instead of purchasing ones in slightly odd fabrics, you can justify the higher expense.

The above jacket also borders on looking like a Prince of Wales suiting, which can potentially make you look like you're wearing an orphaned suit jacket. Maybe it's something you can make work in certain contexts, but it's not the kind of thing you want to buy as your first coat.

Kawrou

Reaction score
For your first sport coat, I would definitely get navy instead. You'll find that it's easier to wear (the above might be difficult to pair with grey flannels, a staple in tailored wardrobes) and is the kind of thing you can wear multiple times a week without anyone noticing (if you ever need to). A navy sport coat can be made to look different with various tie and shirt combos. Plus, if you put your money towards one really good navy sport coat, instead of purchasing ones in slightly odd fabrics, you can justify the higher expense.

The above jacket also borders on looking like a Prince of Wales suiting, which can potentially make you look like you're wearing an orphaned suit jacket. Maybe it's something you can make work in certain contexts, but it's not the kind of thing you want to buy as your first coat.

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I agree about navy, but the only problem I find is that navy tends to come in hopsack as a sports jacket and every time I've tried it on, it seems to clash with the rest of what I'm wearing. It's smooth despite the weave. Navy tweed seems harder to find and I would like a cotton one, but when I've looked, its often in a lighter weight whereas I would prefer a heavier one. A dark brown is easier to find for me and safer than the above.

Not sure I agree about the orphaned suit jacket thing though. Maybe its the photo, but in person the patch pockets and the hairy-ness of the fabric makes it feel quite casual and the blue overcheck does so too. Maybe others also think its bordering on suit jacket.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I agree about navy, but the only problem I find is that navy tends to come in hopsack as a sports jacket and every time I've tried it on, it seems to clash with the rest of what I'm wearing. It's smooth despite the weave. Navy tweed seems harder to find and I would like a cotton one, but when I've looked, its often in a lighter weight whereas I would prefer a heavier one. A dark brown is easier to find for me and safer than the above.

Not sure I agree about the orphaned suit jacket thing though. Maybe its the photo, but in person the patch pockets and the hairy-ness of the fabric makes it feel quite casual and the blue overcheck does so too. Maybe others also think its bordering on suit jacket.

Hopsack comes in various types of textures. You can have hopsack suiting and hopsack jacketing. Hopsack is just a type of plain weave, but it can come in different iterations.

A navy blue tweed can be nice, but a very seasonal garment. Don't recommend getting a navy cotton sport coat for your first coat because cotton fades and will show its age easily in a dark color like navy.

Usually designers will have figured out whether something is a suiting or jacketing for you, so you don't have to figure it out. If you get a cut that flatters you, a navy wool sport coat is almost always made in a kind of fabric that goes with everything -- grey flannels, tan whipcords, khaki chinos, etc.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads