• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should I or shouldn't I buy... (clothing item)?

Coldsnap

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hopsack comes in various types of textures. You can have hopsack suiting and hopsack jacketing. Hopsack is just a type of plain weave, but it can come in different iterations.

A navy blue tweed can be nice, but a very seasonal garment. Don't recommend getting a navy cotton sport coat for your first coat because cotton fades and will show its age easily in a dark color like navy.

Usually designers will have figured out whether something is a suiting or jacketing for you, so you don't have to figure it out. If you get a cut that flatters you, a navy wool sport coat is almost always made in a kind of fabric that goes with everything -- grey flannels, tan whipcords, khaki chinos, etc.

Is it possible to get a good fit through purchasing a jacket online? I'm not feeling what the local tailors do here. I am within striking distance of Japan, so shipping a blazer here isn't too expensive.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Is it possible to get a good fit through purchasing a jacket online? I'm not feeling what the local tailors do here. I am within striking distance of Japan, so shipping a blazer here isn't too expensive.

I think it's possible, but you have to know your own particular fit issues and work with a store that takes returns. I wouldn't recommend buying a coat on final sale without having tried it on.

Unfortunately, when you shop online, this usually means you don't have an SA who can tell you whether a coat fits well. But it's hard to find good sales associates nowadays anyway.

Personally, I really like The Armoury's Model 3 cut and No Man Walks Alone's Sartoria Carrara line. They both have an extended shoulder line and a small bit of drape in the chest. On athletic guys, it will just look like a regular fitting coat. On guys with narrower shoulders, it will give the person a more flattering silhouette.

Coldsnap

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think it's possible, but you have to know your own particular fit issues and work with a store that takes returns. I wouldn't recommend buying a coat on final sale without having tried it on.

Unfortunately, when you shop online, this usually means you don't have an SA who can tell you whether a coat fits well. But it's hard to find good sales associates nowadays anyway.

Personally, I really like The Armoury's Model 3 cut and No Man Walks Alone's Sartoria Carrara line. They both have an extended shoulder line and a small bit of drape in the chest. On athletic guys, it will just look like a regular fitting coat. On guys with narrower shoulders, it will give the person a more flattering silhouette.

Nice, I'll check out The Armoury's offerings. 2021 is going to be a real learning lesson for me in menswear, as for some reason I'm now interested in dressing like an adult.

Thanks for the info!

Kawrou

Reaction score
Hopsack comes in various types of textures. You can have hopsack suiting and hopsack jacketing. Hopsack is just a type of plain weave, but it can come in different iterations.

A navy blue tweed can be nice, but a very seasonal garment. Don't recommend getting a navy cotton sport coat for your first coat because cotton fades and will show its age easily in a dark color like navy.

Usually designers will have figured out whether something is a suiting or jacketing for you, so you don't have to figure it out. If you get a cut that flatters you, a navy wool sport coat is almost always made in a kind of fabric that goes with everything -- grey flannels, tan whipcords, khaki chinos, etc.

Just so far the ones I have encountered haven't quite hit the spot for what I want. Just a personal preference. I wouldn't really wear a sports coat in the summer, so I dont think its too much of a problem getting a tweed as its quite cold most of the year.
But as I can't find a navy one, would a dark brown be the best second option?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Just so far the ones I have encountered haven't quite hit the spot for what I want. Just a personal preference. I wouldn't really wear a sports coat in the summer, so I dont think its too much of a problem getting a tweed as its quite cold most of the year.
But as I can't find a navy one, would a dark brown be the best second option?

If this is your first good tweed, I would do brown, not navy. Brown goes better with earthier fall colors. It can also be hard to find the right shade of blue for a blue tweed. I think better ones tend to have a cold gray cast. Easier to find a brown tweed that works with most things.

Rich Williams

Reaction score
Gents, im considering buying a couple of Sandro suits, does anyone have any experience with this brand? - in terms of quality?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Gents, im considering buying a couple of Sandro suits, does anyone have any experience with this brand? - in terms of quality?

imo they look bad. jacket is way too short and the pants way too tight.

Sandro_SHPVE00384-24_V_1.jpg
Sandro_SHPPA00261-21_V_1.jpg

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Those lapels give me the sads

K. Nights

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"Pearl" (white-ish) 70% cashmere 30% silk scarf. Is this going to quickly start looking super dirty?

Shawl_Solid_pearl_snail_2400x.jpg

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Looking for a light-wash chambray shirt. Would you go for:

Taylor Stitch Western Shirt

OR

Freenote Cloth Chambray Shirt

Personally like the Taylor Stitch one more.

"Pearl" (white-ish) 70% cashmere 30% silk scarf. Is this going to quickly start looking super dirty?

View attachment 1512821

I really like Stoffa scarves, but would prob go for another color. I have a tan one from them that I really love. White scarf feels like a silk evening scarf to me.

K. Nights

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really like Stoffa scarves, but would prob go for another color. I have a tan one from them that I really love. White scarf feels like a silk evening scarf to me.
Realistically, you're totally right. I had never considered a white scarf before, but this pic from their instagram is a cool look
Screenshot_20201208-201546_Instagram.jpg

gurakshun

Reaction score
Are these Paa Utility Pants ugly?
8DB1D131-704D-4B4E-867D-86EFED1E435C.jpeg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads