• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should I or shouldn't I buy... (clothing item)?

Dw3610wm

Reaction score
Thank you for the extended reply(s) to my question guys; funnily enough and this is very rare, I seem to agree with almost everything everyone has said however contradictory to each other (I am a classical pianist by the way if you were wondering which genre I require the suit for).

I am 19 so I am really not particularly bothered about getting a 3 piece Attolini. I am quite a fan of the Armani aesthetic/lifestyle/brand etc. (I know, I know, but gimme a break he makes some beautiful things), and luckily my biggest blessing is that I fit a size 38 as good as possible (which can also be a bit of a curse because I end up saying I like the fit of everything, and ultimately subconciously dislike very few brands or jackets, shirts in my size..)

My budget is around 250GBP (so as much as I love the Dior Homme suggestion I can't really afford that) and although I do agree I would prefer a lower button stance and a little bit more of a tapered leg I do also think there is quite a bit of un-needed hate for Emporio Armani and Armani in general, on this forum.

I think some of the things they do are marvellous, sure it would not be as well made or underlogoed as Brunello Cucinelli, or Attolini but they are completely different things, with completely different target consumers. I have got lots of great stuff from them at around 60% off (also Armani Collezioni) which has got me lots of compliments from the fairer sex. I do agree that Black Label is much better made but at 19 does fused or not fused really matter? Does it mean it would fall apart? (I have decided against this particular suit, but in general I still love Armani, Tom Ford, and RLBL for suits).

Also regarding well made etc.; in my opinion I have nothing against machine made items, heck sometimes they are more accurate than handmade items (don't shoot me for this as its just a thought), for me the only thing pick stitching, surgeon cuffs and fancy lining do is to justify a price tag (which is often VERY high) and to feed my ego (I don't mind either but the price tag I am wiling to pay does). What are your thoughts on this? I look forward to more of your valuable input and discussion on this..

KitAkira

Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
If you search around during sales, you may be able to find a Collezioni suit for that price which will likely be better in most (all) aspects Fused vs. floating canvas is a good determing factor of the longevity of the coat, and at 19 perhaps it is even more important that the suit lasts so you aren't buying new suits every other year (and if you're an MC fanatic, floating canvas allows for better drape). I would forget Tom Ford exists for the next 6 or so years
laugh.gif
for the price of a Tom Ford suit, you can get a decent MTM piece and all three of your choices (TF, RLBL, GA) are fully canvassed, I believe both GA and TF are made by Zegna (Collezioni is and TF is) and RLBL is made by Caruso IF machine construction was the only difference, the difference would probably be nominal to most. However, this is never (to my knowledge) the case. If a maker chooses cheaper construction they generally cut costs elsewhere (design, fabrics, details). Just like how a factory in China can make the same or better quality suit than an Italian counterpart, but for the higher end designers, Made in Italy/England/USA/France is an easy way to distinguish better construction

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KitAkira
I would forget Tom Ford exists for the next 6 or so years
laugh.gif
for the price of a Tom Ford suit, you can get a decent MTM piece and all three of your choices (TF, RLBL, GA) are fully canvassed, I believe both GA and TF are made by Zegna (Collezioni is and TF is) and RLBL is made by Caruso

Clearly someone hasn't been hanging out on the MC B&S... haha, Tom Ford is selling like hotcakes down thurr.
No way is Emporio Armani fully canvassed. Of course, that's not a determinant of a good suit; my #1 suggestion to people in law school (ie in their early to mid 20s with no money) is to find Polo's MII in Italy by Corneliani suits on discount. It's half canvassed, but the suits are classic, well made, come in a variety of cuts to fit most builds, and can be had for $500 or so in a wide variety of fabrics, patterns and colours. Consequently, I shall suggest to our emporio armani seeker that he look thataway.

KitAkira

Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JD_May
Clearly someone hasn't been hanging out on the MC B&S... haha, Tom Ford is selling like hotcakes down thurr. No way is Emporio Armani fully canvassed. Of course, that's not a determinant of a good suit; my #1 suggestion to people in law school (ie in their early to mid 20s with no money) is to find Polo's MII in Italy by Corneliani suits on discount. It's half canvassed, but the suits are classic, well made, come in a variety of cuts to fit most builds, and can be had for $500 or so in a wide variety of fabrics, patterns and colours. Consequently, I shall suggest to our emporio armani seeker that he look thataway.
I saw that a few weeks ago (still wondering how I can get in on the TF for ridiculously low prices deal) but I don't pay attention to anything that doesn't fit me and it's still over 250GPB.

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
Yeah I'm honestly not the biggest fan of TF stuff. It's obviously pretty luxe, but it's like it's too rich, it insists upon itself Lois. Shoes aren't bad and there are some excellent pocket squares that have shown up on here lately, but generally, I have settled on "not in".

KitAkira

Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
The older super pagoda-style shoulders (does he still do this? haven't been paying attention to TF) were pretty cool, but pretty hard to pull off.

Dw3610wm

Reaction score
Thank you very much Kit and JD and the previous poasters, I have taken your things onboard and have decided to wait for a black label or collezioni. What can you guys tell me about collezioni? Given that I live in the UK the lowest collezioni drops to is around 400GBP which is quite annoying... Heck I have seen Black Label on the B&S part of this forum for around 250GBP so I think its worth the wait.

I have also noticed the amount of Tom Ford in the B&S but luckily they have nothing in size 38 that I could use for recitals. Also one last thing; would a tuxedo be appropriate as a soloist?

asobu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
laugh.gif
i think most/all pants were amazing in this collection, but i'm just not sure how i'd relate to this particular pair. i do like them, but i'm not sure how they'd look removed from the context of the collection. thanks for the comment though.

snake

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by asobu
laugh.gif
i think most/all pants were amazing in this collection, but i'm just not sure how i'd relate to this particular pair. i do like them, but i'm not sure how they'd look removed from the context of the collection. thanks for the comment though.

The way those cargos are cut is very, KVA. But the zip portion of the pants reminds me of one that Julius did this season, except it zipped all the way up. Either way, pulling them off ain't gonna be easy.
img56823319.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads