• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should I or shouldn't I buy... (clothing item)?

BB1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by v3l
rubub7.jpg

Just got a 40% off coupon to Banana Republic for tomorrow (not sure what's up with that, but I'm not complaining). Thinking of this coat. It would be around $220 after the discount. Thoughts?

BR sucks. The styling is metrosexual + old man, and the quality is only mediocre (at best). Just looking at the coats on their web site makes me ill. Even the urban dictionary agrees....

From http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...rm=metrosexual

You might be "metrosexual" if:

1. You just can't walk past a Banana Republic store without making a purchase.
If you cannot afford anything better, then start saving. Do not be lured into buying that coat simply because of the sale.

Razele

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You don't like the boots?

BB1 your opinion is legit.

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dashaansafin
Ah. Unfortunatly I dont have access to either coat either. I have D collection stuff from UO and it fits very well. Im just not sure it warrents the 160$ (plus shipping + tax) price.

Does anyone have/has tried on either?

Well, the other option is uniqlo or h&m at that price range. Otherwise, outerwear will run you $300-$900

BreezyBirch

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chronoaug
that actually looks really good. I know it's hard to drop $160 at UO on an item but the styling is definitely there. Looks much better than other duffles i've seen. The uniqlo one is like $125 but hard to say as i haven't tried either on.
that UO duffle coat fits slim, but not all that slim. it felt cheap, and for 160 bucks you might be able score a deal on something nicer if you looked hard enough (if you're lucky) - but it does look pretty good. although it looks far better unbuttoned than it does buttoned/toggled - it kind of bunches up when done up. it doesn't fit super slim, but small fits OK on me - 5'6"-5'7" 135lbs, 35" chest. it was the only thing that caught my eye when i went in there the other day (excuse: i went in there because a friend wanted to, not me!) i'd recommend investing in something higher quality...but, yeah, as chrono says, good you'll have to shell out the dough for good outerwear... cool story
Originally Posted by aaaeeeiiiooouuu
Naked & Famous Weird Guys - Selvage - in grey. Looking for your seal of approval.
NF jeans are awesome. the weird guys fit slimmer than the slim guys (??) but not near as skinny as the skinny guys. good "fitted" look for those hipster disinclined people. i never get knee bags on my NF's no matter how much i wear them/bend in them. tough, durable stuff.
Originally Posted by eseanyang
should i buy the G-star morter lumber coat? http://www.clothingbrigade.com/produ...er-lumber-coat or Schott classic peacoat?
the d-star coat actually fits quite nice, and even looks cool. saw it at holts a while back. fitted. too bad it's d-star...

Arms_Akimbo

Reaction score
Don't know anything about the brand, but I'm not a big fan of the styling. I'd like a DB 3/4 length wool coat that looks like this:
theobyb2.jpg
Not sure if it's actually wool, but I think it'd translate well.

BreezyBirch

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ pretty sexy coat there, arms. but i'm not looking for non-DB style...the peacoat thread is too tome-like for me to delve into... this is what i've got going right now coat-wise, looking for something a little more modern, slimmer arms this coat is like 6 years old and i think i've outlived it...
dsc00422fv.jpg
(repost from waywt, sry for that) i really, really dig the new APC duffle coat, fit is fantastic - i would buy it in an instant if it weren't toggled (i just find the duffle coat isn't as versatile as the pea coat...can't dress it up as much) apc coat:
1268.jpg

Superb0bo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Re: Local Firm, pretty trendy and fashion-y Stockholm brand. The last collections have been rather 90s inspired. I think it sucks, but my girlfriend has a denim dress which she seems to like (and which makes her ass look especially great).
So, fashion approved, and I think the quality is decent.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads