• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should I or shouldn't I buy... (clothing item)?

dickenshero

Reaction score
Here's the rest of my stuff, after I buy this stuff I don't really plan on buying anything else for a few years, maybe even 4 ish years.
Sweaters and Shirts J.crew hoodie 70, Ami sweater 150-300, UrbanO sweatshirt 50, James Perse Shirt 125 (should I get it in Grey or Black? I feel I have too much gray), West is Dead sweater 150

should I buy this YSL shirt and this D&G shirt? I figure I should at lest have 1 nice white shirt, and I know mr.porter is gonna have a sale at the end of the year (hell I'm counting on it) so would it be wise to buy this shirt in addition to the oxford from uniqlo (or any other place you guys recommend should they be better)? Also same situation with the D&G T-shirt, although personally I just like how unique it looks. They'll run me between 150-300 ea for these shirts bucks to buy this shirt most likely.

because I like that song.

My Pants/Jean section

3sixteen ST 180-215, West is Dead chino 165, Naked and Famous WG natural indigo 150, incotex buying from friend for 50 bucks

Sneakers, Shoes, Boots
YSL suede brogues 400-675, Clarks DB (gonna get vibram christy soles) 200, CK loafer (I like the look, it's sleek, heel isn't so pronounced) 60 I'm still open to ideas on loafers, still haven't found a decent penny loafer that I like besides the CK,APC Chelsea in cognac and black 515 and 325, nikes as a casual shoe 100, 3 PF flyers 160 total,

I know this seems like a lot of shoes to be buying but to be honest I only have 2 pairs of wearable shoes right now, and 1 of them are my APC boots, which I can only wear in certain weather (because I love them too much to get them all scratched up or drenched in water) also if you have any recommendations again I'm all ears.

Now the Final part, My accessories (glasses, gym bags etc etc)
Everlane weekender bag 100 (for the gym), Cutler and Gross aviators 350-500, CD aviators (going to put black/blue lenses in them) 400 off a friend of mine, Mulberry Wallet 250, Royal Republiq belt (one in each color so I can have a matching belt with every outfit, if I need to use a belt) 60 bucks a pop + 30 shipping.

dickenshero

Reaction score
dickenshero: don't buy so much stuff at once, man. If you hang out here for awhile you might find out that you actually like a completely different aesthetic than that preppy/vanilla stuff you just posted and be stuck with $500 worth of clothes you don't want that have no resale value.

Ditch the polos and cargo shorts, and get your favorite (one of each) oxford, sweater, and blazer (if blazers are your thing). Wear that for a month and if it turns out you love it, all you've lost is like $5 shipping savings.
I kinda like the polos =/ I'll ditch the shorts though. Good idea on the buying and then waiting, I guess I'll start off with the gray blazer, navy sweater, and the white oxford. Are you sure about the polos? I actually kinda like those. What about the basic shirts and what not?

VLSI

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
1. Just chill, take it slow.

2. That's a collection of some of the most boring, least inspiring **** you could find.

brad-t

Bae Blade
Reaction score

dammit, all I can see are the flap pockets now! I like the tall neck/wrap element on coat #2. how does it stay closed? hidden buttons?
honestly both 1 and 2 look pretty nice. are they both pure wool? sometimes I'll go with the nicer fabric if I'm split btwen designs.

They are both 100% wool. The top one is Attachment and the bottom is All Saints, so the top one is probably nicer ... but it's also $600 more expensive.

Benesyed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Get one polo. I don't think people here like polos but I mean i think they look good with chinos and loafers if you are going for that image. Depending on where you live and your own tastes polos just might be super sweet

Also, i like those turtle shell sunglasses.

@ Brad, if you do get the allsaints let me know about the quality. I have one coat i got from them in boston for 80 dollars and its been ok after i reinforced the buttons. It was fairly warm too.

Last edited:

Benesyed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Eyeing these on gilt

and

I've had pretty good experiences with addidas slvr. I use the down jacket they have on sale actually to keep me warm and it gets me through North East winters with a t shirt and sometimes a cardi under. Only downside is its piddly hood.

Sooo, yay or nay?

Lionheart Biker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Get a polo only if it´s slim/form fitting and if you´ve got some arms. You don´t need huge guns, but just enough so it doesn´t look like a twig coming out of the sleeves.
On the rest, I couldn´t agree more with VLSI. Do you really need that many sweatshirts??

dickenshero

Reaction score
1. Just chill, take it slow.
2. That's a collection of some of the most boring, least inspiring **** you could find.
1. I'm trying to take is slow, that's why I'm asking you guys for an opinion.
2. Sorry, I just can't rock the latest 300 rick owens goth ninja mandress, or the shorts with the foot long square crotch, or that 1 suit that is so edgy it'll only ever go with 1 shirt and 1 pair of shoes that you have. Sadly I'm not an accessory to my clothes, my clothes are accessories to me. That being said, I can see how you would think this is boring, but I like it. Also I'm buying only my essentials off line, I already have a bunch of colorful T-shirts and Sweaters and such, I don't have any simple gray, black, white, or navy things though, so that's what I'm focusing on.

We can't all be edgy and spend a thousand dollars on leather PF flyers with a zipper on the side, or at least I can't. Still I appreciate the input.

Last edited:

nowiremember

Reaction score

dammit, all I can see are the flap pockets now! I like the tall neck/wrap element on coat #2. how does it stay closed? hidden buttons?
honestly both 1 and 2 look pretty nice. are they both pure wool? sometimes I'll go with the nicer fabric if I'm split btwen designs.

What brand is #2?

dickenshero

Reaction score
Get one polo. I don't think people here like polos but I mean i think they look good with chinos and loafers if you are going for that image. Depending on where you live and your own tastes polos just might be super sweet
Also, i like those turtle shell sunglasses.
@ Brad, if you do get the allsaints let me know about the quality. I have one coat i got from them in boston for 80 dollars and its been ok after i reinforced the buttons. It was fairly warm too.

I'm not sure which polo to get, I like both of them although I'm leaning towards white.
Get a polo only if it´s slim/form fitting and if you´ve got some arms. You don´t need huge guns, but just enough so it doesn´t look like a twig coming out of the sleeves.
On the rest, I couldn´t agree more with VLSI. Do you really need that many sweatshirts??
Well at the moment I'm 6'1 150, but I'm going to be bulking up soon, probably adding on a good 30-40 lbs. My doctor said I'm going to end up at around 6'3-6'4ish although I hope I'm just at 6'3. About the sweatshirts, I guess not, I can see what you're saying. I'm starting to have second thoughts about the Ami

EDIT: wow that might of confused some people, I'm not saying I'm going to lift weights to become 6'3, I'm saying that I still have a few years to grow, and I'm growing at a pretty steady rate of a couple inches a year. I just hope to god I don't get a growth spurt.

Last edited:

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
leather cap ... not too sure how i feel about this. i only have leather footwear and gloves. i prob just go with a reinhard burnt wool malleable one instead

Last edited:

DLester

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

1. I'm trying to take is slow, that's why I'm asking you guys for an opinion.
2. Sorry, I just can't rock the latest 300 rick owens goth ninja mandress, or the shorts with the foot long square crotch, or that 1 suit that is so edgy it'll only ever go with 1 shirt and 1 pair of shoes that you have. Sadly I'm not an accessory to my clothes, my clothes are accessories to me. That being said, I can see how you would think this is boring, but I like it. Also I'm buying only my essentials off line, I already have a bunch of colorful T-shirts and Sweaters and such, I don't have any simple gray, black, white, or navy things though, so that's what I'm focusing on.

If you made up your mind already, why are you asking if you should or should not buy? Load up on whatever suits you.

I personally would not buy that many basics unless you already own a few interesting pieces, which it sounds like is not the case.

Last edited:

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
now i understand, so much consumption overkill X_X

what coat is the 2nd one Brad? Looks nice and I maybe interested as well.

I will check out the Carmina pre-order ...

Shah that hat is dope. Much better than what I saw in that webshop based on that SF store. I like it but only because I find it ridiculous, ridiculous awesome looking worn both ways. More than anything though it suits you. A bit similar to another hat you have worn before with more detailing.

For the dude asking about the Uniqlo, have you tried any of it on in person? Don't buy it all at once. You will regret it. The Uniqlo Tasmanian jacket is cool and works as a beater. I would not rely on it as your primary suit.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics