• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should I get an LLM?

RedLantern

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm considering getting my LLM after I graduate (2010). I'm thinking about taxation or estate planning. It seems like a lot more people have one in taxation than estate planning but I am probably more interested in estate planning than taxation, but the University of Washington offers it in taxation and I would really like to go back home and end up working there. Does anyone have an LLM or could comment on the usefulness of one?

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why don't you worry about it in late 2009 or early 2010?

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Bad idea: JD Really bad idea: LMM
rimshot.gif

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
Bad idea: JD
Really bad idea: LMM

rimshot.gif

Especially because the Legum Magister is abbreviated with two Ls
wink.gif

I only see three reasons to get an LLM:

1 - tax - most useful, simply because of the nature of tax law

2 - international - only useful if you actually plan to be a cross-border transactional lawyer (because let's face it, that's what the majority of "international" lawyers do; buying oil fields in third world countries, not human rights/NGO stuff)

3 - "I want to be a professor but I couldn't get an SJD" -

The LLM will certainly beef up your academic credentials if you want to be a professor. It will give you more time (and free resources) to publish something that matters (like a book, or several articles, or a study, or one really really good article). I think it's probably useless if you want to be a litigator, and mostly-useless for most transactional lawyers.

mr. magoo

Reaction score
Sort of depends on your prospects for ending up in the Pacific NW without one. There aren't a ton of Washington jobs and there's a fair amount of demand, so unless you're getting serious nibbles from shops out there, it might be useful to have a local degree and use the connections. Moreover, a tax LLM is a bankable degree, unlike say a LLM in Constitutional Law or something.

JoelF

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you absolutely want to do tax, probably worthwhile. Otherwise no, since you have a U.S. JD.

Bad idea: JD
Really bad idea: LMM

rimshot.gif

Better idea: Learn to spell.

Best idea: Comment on things you know something about.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JoelF
If you absolutely want to do tax, probably worthwhile. Otherwise no, since you have a U.S. JD. Better idea: Learn to spell. Best idea: Comment on things you know something about.
a.) I r stoopid b.) Derrrrrr

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
a.) I r stoopid b.) Derrrrrr
Sigged! P.S. there's something wrong with the sigging page in User CP.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads