• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

shortening blazer sleeve question

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Without seeing the jacket and how it fits (or doesn't) on you, I can't see why a tailor couldn't just move up the bottom 1-2 buttons to the top of the stack, removing the faux-stitches and re-doing them up top, all the while taking in the sleeves from the cuffs rather than the shoulder.

On the other hand, a 44L will likely give you more trouble with the body length; something not so easily fixed.

As for recommendations, I don't know anyone in the Peninsula or South Bay, but there are threads inquiring about tailors all over the Bay Area, so some time searching the forums should yield some good info.

Hard2Fit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cheessus
If they are removed, would it still be visible? Or am I just SOL and should just try to resell this suit?

Most likely (yes).
I would (unless you are willing to have the adjustments made from the shoulder).

Full Canvas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wanted to revive this thread...

I just received a 44L suit I believe. Usually I'm a 42R/44R. While everything else is perfect, the sleeves are obviously too long.

First - Are you certain that the body is not too long and all the pockets and waist correspondingly too low? Since this is a suit, is the trouser rise perhaps too long for you?

I need to shorten the sleeves of a blazer by about one inch, which would put the end of the sleeve right where the first cuff button is. Each sleeve has 4 non-functioning buttons. I'm not too sure if I can pay $100/arm to have the sleeves taken up at the shoulder hem, nor am I sure I would want to take the risk of having it messed up.

So I'm thinking that I just want to get the buttons moved. But I kind of want to keep 4 buttons at the exact proportions of the jacket. This would mean moving at least 2 buttons. So what would happen to the button-hole stitching? If they are removed, would it still be visible?

Second - The faux buttonhole stitches are made to be removed without a trace specifically for sleeve length adjustment.

Could a tailor remanufacture the exact same factory stitching higher up? And how much would this cost?

Third - The machine that makes these faux buttonholes is not likely to be found in most tailors' shops.

Or am I just SOL and should just try to resell this suit?

Fourth - If you really want to keep the suit you can have all the faux buttonhole thread easily removed and simply have four buttons sans faux buttonholes. Alternately, if you are a high-roller, have the tailor cut real buttonholes. This presumes sufficient overlap to allow the (now functional) buttons a solid anchor point. Check to see that the sleeve taper is sufficient if you have that much material removed.
___

quest786

Reaction score
I do have a slightly different problem if some one can help.I bought an Armani Velvet Blazer yesterday it is size 42, fits perfectly except the sleeves are atleast half an inch longer then I would like. Problem is the sleeves have working button holes and I am concerned that if shortened buttons will be too close to the edge, what options do I have? any help will be appreciated
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads