• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shopping in a tough economy

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Screw tough times.

marie21.jpg

p-nero-cap.JPG

- B

LussoMagazine

Reaction score
Worth mentioning, if you're buying a single suit, keep it simple, dark blue or grey, no pin stripes or anything like that. Loud and detailed suits attract attention and people will notice if you're wearing them more often. A simple suit and more detailed/interesting shirts and ties will give the appearance of many different looks.

In London there are a number of tailors etc that'll make a reasonable suit for around $500, jacket and pants, shirts and ties and shoes would easily fit into the remaining $1000, then you have something fitted, well made and enough to get a couple of shirts, if he's asked back for a second interview and is wearing the same shirt and tie people will notice!

RJmanbearpig

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LussoMagazine
In London there are a number of tailors etc that'll make a reasonable suit for around $500, jacket and pants, shirts and ties and shoes would easily fit into the remaining $1000, then you have something fitted, well made and enough to get a couple of shirts, if he's asked back for a second interview and is wearing the same shirt and tie people will notice!

Did you learn that in your exclusive interview with Savile Row Master Tailor Darren Beaman?

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Visit the best re-sale shops you can find and a tailor you can trust, and run with it. $1500 can go a long, long way if you're willing to put in some time and elbow grease. And for a 40k job, you'll probably be seeing lots of HartMarx and the like, not so much Zegna, so buy on fit, not label.

LussoMagazine

Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJmanbearpig
Did you learn that in your exclusive interview with Savile Row Master Tailor Darren Beaman?
Can't say I did. If you've got a bit more than $500 then almost certainly head to Darren or one of the other tailors on Savile Row, but there are people like asuitthatfits.com and King&Allen, that I wouldn't suggest going to as an alternative to a proper suit, but in the above circumstances I'd think that's a better option than getting something from eBay and having it refitted and so on. There must be some comparably priced people doing the same thing in NYC? Did you just check the website to find that interview or knew of the magazine before hand? Unfortunately it's a pretty old article, we'll be launching a lot more style content in 2009.

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Doc4
Looking good is not about tossing money around, it's about knowing how to look and how to get that look (at any price level.)

Definitely. Just look at George Clooney.

RJmanbearpig

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LussoMagazine
Can't say I did. If you've got a bit more than $500 then almost certainly head to Darren or one of the other tailors on Savile Row, but there are people like asuitthatfits.com and King&Allen, that I wouldn't suggest going to as an alternative to a proper suit, but in the above circumstances I'd think that's a better option than getting something from eBay and having it refitted and so on. There must be some comparably priced people doing the same thing in NYC?

Did you just check the website to find that interview or knew of the magazine before hand? Unfortunately it's a pretty old article, we'll be launching a lot more style content in 2009.

Oooh, I've known of the website for a few years now and known Darren longer... And your two recommendations for cheap bespoke suits aren't ones I'd follow.

LussoMagazine

Reaction score
Fair, I wouldn't recommend them in any other circumstance, but in this guy's situation? I would be interested to hear your thoughts though, I'd quite like to point some of the people that work at Lusso in the direction of some better suits!

RJmanbearpig

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd recommend his nephew go to the mall, and get a sober suit that fits. It's a job interview. He's young. Spend $300 or $500 at Macy's or JCPenney or whatever. I've seen people look fine in a Chaps Ralph Lauren suit that retails for $300. Just get something classic, in a classic color, that fits (so something that comes in enough sizes that you can get one that approximates your fit) and get the trousers hemmed.

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

bluemagic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd kill for $1,500 to spend. You're already doing well with that. You can get Hickey Style suits on sale on the website, or even BB Black Fleece on deep discount, I believe.

tjc4golf

Reaction score
ProfessorShak, I'm not in a position entirely different from your nephew's. I'm a few years out of school but still don't have the money to spend on clothes that many here do. And my company was recently acquired by a company that is business formal so I need to purchase a few suits. Here's what I've learned about buying a quality suit on a budget:

Live.com Cashback: Shop on eBay and save 25% on Buy It Now purchases. If you're not familiar with this there are many threads here that can fill you in on the details. eBay has great deals to begin with (if you know what you're looking for). Combined with 25% off you can get steals.

Suits: Your nephew needs a single breasted, two button suit in either charcoal or navy. From what I've read, the best bang for your buck in terms of fabric and construction is probably a Marco Valentino or Baroni from the eBay seller the Wizard of Aahs (Note: I do not have either but I am considering a MV. You can find many fo these suits reviewed and glowing comments on the stores owner here and at AAAC). With the Live.com cashback these can be had for $250. The quality will be better than you can get in a department store for the same or similar price. Fit is important so you should help make sure (1) he orders the right size (2) he gets the right cut (Valentino if he has an athletic build and Baroni if he is more of an average joe) and (3) once the suit arrives take him to your tailor to ensure that he gets the proper alterations (budget up to an extra $100 for alterations).

Shoes: I agree with the poster that recommended the Allen Edmonds Park Avenue model; the perfect interview shoe (classic, simple and not at all flashy) and there construction is good so they make great workhorse shoes (he'll need one once he gets the job). If not a AE Park Ave, go for a similar oxford cap toe. My new pair of Park Avenues arrived today - $110 including shipping and taxes off eBay after Live.com cashback. I wouldn't skimp on the shoe and get anything of lesser quality than Allen Edmonds. We'll be conservative and budget $150.

Shirts, Ties and Belt: I wouldn't spend too much money here. During the interview, his jacket will be on so his shirt won't be scrutinized; one white and one blue should be all he needs for the interviews and shoudl be able to be obtained for $100 total (if he wants to splurge a little have them retailored to fit well for $20/ea). Get a couple of decent quality silk ties with no or very muted patterns. Three ties are all you need for a couple fo rounds of interviews and should cost no more than $75 total. Once your nephew has his shoes, go to a discount retailer and pick out a simple belt that matches. This should cost no more than $30.

Total Cost of Interview Outfits: $745
Suit $250
Suit Alterations $100
Cap Toe Oxfords $150
Two Dress Shirts $100
Dress Shirt Alterations $40
Three Ties $75
Belt $30

With the economic uncertainty, I'd recommend your nephew save the remaining $750.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ProfessorShak
But clothing is a NECESSITY. However it comes down to how much you're willing to put down for clothing. If you've been used to buying a $2400 Zegna, how much lower are you willing to go if you're funds are tight or you don't have a job to pay for a new suit? What strategies can be used to overcome this?

You are kidding right? clothing is a necessity only as far as having something to cover the body. So if one is used to driving a Maybach than no other cars will do? If you can't afford it you can't afford it.

Don't automaticallly assume a top name brand will lead to style and make one a sharp dresser. If I'm in a situation of fianancial needs but still require a suit, I would buy cheaply but make sure the fit is top notch.

nate10184

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I used ebay, thrift stores, and outlets when I was a poor college kid. Now I have money and I still use those exact same sources. I'm one or two purchases away from being 100% satisfied with my wardbrobe and think I'm well dressed even by forum standards. I really don't think $ has much of an effect on how well dressed you are.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads