• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoes too brown for a grey suit? Help! Pic included

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lasbar
Charcoal requires black shoes in general or very very dark brown...

Or oxblood
wink.gif

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not sure what the problem is. If it's a wedding that you're attending, it matters even less. I don't like to wear black shoes in general and would definitely wear brown shoes here.

Chris_AK

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tim_horton
I'm the opposite. The lighter the gray, the more likely I am to go with brown shoes (and then, only dark brown.) With charcoal, I'd always pick black shoes.

Really? Only dark brown?

BrownShoes_Thumb.jpg

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
IMO, suit is fine even though pinstripe is business-y. nobody will notice or care about that. I do think the brown shoes don't go and are too 'daytime', so switch them to black (along with teh belt). Tie's nice, consider going with a white shirt though.

otherwise yes, a navy suit with those black shoes and belt would maybe be better.

GradSchooler

Reaction score
I suppose it's because it's wedding season that all the wedding "style guru's" are out enforcing the sacred, timeless, and unbreakable laws of appropriate wedding attire. Whenever I hear people quote the rules and then advise others to wear something I'd expect to see on a banker or a funeral director I always think to myself "what kind of sad, somber-ass weddings do these people go to?"

bluesman528

Reaction score
Originally Posted by viper24
Suit: Merdium to charcoal grey pinstripe
Shirt: Light pink
Tie: Navy with light blue diagonal pattern
Shoes: The ones pictured, or black ones?

A striped suit indeed means business but you will get away with it. Today's sartorial standards probably will allow you anything above going naked.
confused.gif
;-)

While it is generally possible to combine a grey suit with brown shoes, IMHO your shoes and your belt are too light-colored and too reddish-brown to go well with your suit. Besides, I think these brown Norwegians are way too informal for this situation. You will look so much better wearing this suit with a white shirt, black belt and black plain oxfords.

Most of such inquiries are made to get an affirmation that one can wear to a formal event a wild combination of anything he already has in his closet. Certainly one can physically wear it, who will object? But in most cases it won't look good. And that's the whole point. It's not about rules or restricting people. These so-called rules exist because they provide a proven look for certain social situations without any need for aesthetic experiments. Formal events should bring people together enjoying themselves in a solemn environment without them asking themselves the whole time whether their shoes look silly or not.

tim_horton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Chris_AK
Really? Only dark brown?

BrownShoes_Thumb.jpg

Yes, but it's purely a personal preference, nothing to do with "Da Rules." For some reason, while I can admire shoes like those in your pic on others, I always prefer dark brown on myself. Can't really say why. Same goes with monk straps - look good on others, but I know if I had a pair in my closet I'd never wear 'em and would go with something else.

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love grey with brown shoes...but.

I don't love those shoes at all, and for a wedding I'd wear black shoes with a solid suit.

If you absolutely want to wear brown shoes, find other ones, imho.

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GradSchooler
I suppose it's because it's wedding season that all the wedding "style guru's" are out enforcing the sacred, timeless, and unbreakable laws of appropriate wedding attire. Whenever I hear people quote the rules and then advise others to wear something I'd expect to see on a banker or a funeral director I always think to myself "what kind of sad, somber-ass weddings do these people go to?"
You do know pinstripes are classic banker wear? Weddings aren't supposed to be somber that's the reason people are against things like pinstripe suits.

GradSchooler

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nicola
You do know pinstripes are classic banker wear?

Weddings aren't supposed to be somber that's the reason people are against things like pinstripe suits.

I suppose that's a fair point. However, I'd argue it depends on the pinstripe in question. My father is wearing a light grey suit with subtle pink pinstripe to my sisters wedding. I certainly wouldn't describe it as a banker's suit. Take away the pin and it would be a very boring british cut banker suit suitable for meeting to discuss a mortgage. The pin gives it a celebratory quality that it would be lacking otherwise.

OttoSkadelig

Reaction score
i attended a wedding in a California vineyard in a beige cotton suit and everyone loved it.

it's all contextual - what's the locale and the weather, who's the crowd, and perhaps most importantly, does whatever you wear match who you are.

i think folks are overthinking this.

Harrydog

Reaction score
Kind of hard to see, but I don't think those shoes go well with a suit. The color is not the issue. They look like a more casual derby to me.

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by OttoSkadelig
i attended a wedding in a California vineyard in a beige cotton suit and everyone loved it.

it's all contextual - what's the locale and the weather, who's the crowd, and perhaps most importantly, does whatever you wear match who you are.

i think folks are overthinking this.

Over-thinking? On Style Forum? Unpossimbubble!

Blurv

Reaction score
I'm not sure what "too brown" means, but as long as you keep the shoes and belt pretty close you can pair just about any brown with just about any grey, as long as you like the combo.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics