• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoes, Shorts, and Summer sans Sneakers and Sandals

jack webb

Reaction score
I keep seeing this word "crisp" in menswear articles. Does it mean ironed?
Possibly, but I take it to mean something more than casual, ie, not a gym short or a cargo short or a board short or a canvas short. Something that wouldn't look mismatched with a collared shirt.

Enfusia

Reaction score
It might be a long shot but in certain circumstances and with certain looks studded sole moccasins may work.
However, not if you're going to be on your feet for any real length of time.

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For me that's the problem. Loafers are far too unrelaxed to be worn with shorts. If you're wearing shorts, you need to wear very casual footwear. If you want to wear loafers, wear (linen etc.) pants.
“Loafers” is a pretty broad category. Using the most extreme examples from my closet.

There are certainly some that I’d never wear with shorts because they really don’t work at all, the look is too structured, the last is too aggressive, the leather, details, etc. I wear These almost exclusively with a suit or jacket and trousers.
1231A51A-E813-4553-B673-B8567BEAF6E6.jpeg

There are others I’d never wear with trousers and exclusively wear with shorts.
7786207B-57BE-4277-A48F-20A4714068E2.jpeg

Reggae Mike

Reaction score
To a large extent footwear will be governed by what else you're wearing. Somebody mentioned monk straps. Opinions will vary but I can almost see this working with a well-made, well-fitted casual shirt (sleeves rolled up, worn untucked) and a crisp pair of shorts. With a t-shirt and cargo shorts? No. I'm in my early 60s and increasingly feel like a little kid when wearing sneakers with shorts. The better choice often seems a Venetian-type slip on.
Venetians are Def the nicest w/ short IMO.

Stylewords

Reaction score
This is super subjective, but here are some possible synonyms: "focused" "on-point" "well-fitted" "cleanly executed"

An oversized, ragged pair of cargo shorts would probably not be considered "crisp", even if ironed.
Yes. I normally see it with shirt i.e "crisp white shirt". I can't help feeling it doesn't really mean anything other than don't put on a dirty rumpled shirt, which seems pretty obvious.

motosacto

Reaction score
Wrong. White socks and white sneakers reek of adolescence. A weejun style loafer in natural shell is a far superior option -- without socks. Stan Smiths? My granfather wore those when he was 5. Good grief.

Way, way too limited a viewpoint. White sneakers and short white socks are perfect for conveying the image that you're at the racquet club having a drink after coming off the court. Sort-of old-school athleisure. You may not like that look, but it's not adolescent.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
With pants or shorts.

House and/or pool shoes. Espadrilles out and about never worked for me. Not much support and they get shredded fast.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think the jacket look here is a little weird, as well as the gurkha waists.

I think the most natural looks are (from the left) #1, and #5. #5's black loafers look a bit weird, but otherwise it looks good and natural, though something in brown or suede would've just worked better here I'd say. The guy on the farthest right with the jacket + white socks + black loafers looks kind of dweeby.

Not saying I haven't probably made similar mistakes, but I don't know.

What do you think they were attempting to go for here?

TheSuitBurnsBetter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For me that's the problem. Loafers are far too unrelaxed to be worn with shorts. If you're wearing shorts, you need to wear very casual footwear. If you want to wear loafers, wear (linen etc.) pants.
I had this issue for a while until I bought the Baudoin & Lange Stride loafers (I've been banging this drum for a while but I swear they're not paying me). I don't wear shorts often but I live in DC where summers are crazy hot and humid so sometimes they just feel better than pants. My shorts are an entirely unimpressive navy cotton from Old Navy that are a few inches above the knee and the rubber sole and simplicity of the Strides works perfectly with the shorts and with linen trousers.

moltoelegante

Reaction score
Here in Sicily (where the temperature peaked at 48˚C/118˚F last summer - ouch!) i have been struggling with this too. My solution is to wear the thinnest of slightly loose linen trousers and shirts, with sandals. I don't like the aesthetic of sandals at all (though it's still highly preferable to wearing shorts and sneakers, imo). I would prefer the style of loafers/espadrilles but I just haven't found the right ones yet. Given that espadrilles are generally made with an inflexible fabric (without elasticity) the fit has to be really good and that makes it hard to find (I tried several brands and they didn't fit properly).

Note that real espadrilles have an unsealed sole made of coiled rope. Faux espadrilles with a solid plastic/rubber sole will not be as comfortable in the heat, which defeats the whole purpose.

nhk-espadrille-soles-flat-straight-42_1800_1.jpg

I am dreaming of espadrilles with an elastic side section in the upper to allow for swelling feet in summer and for a more comfortable fit overall. I will be searching for a pair when I visit Milan next week.

clothingfun

Reaction score
Regretfully, the time for warm weather is upon us. I say regretfully, as I find a lot of style options are limited in the summer. In effect, it's hard not to look like a jerk, especially if one is trying to dress for the weather and it's hot enough to warrant shorts.

What are some stylish choices for summer foot wear that don't involve one wearing sneakers or sandals? What are the materials, colours, and styles that best work for day or night time wear with shorts in a casual, hot weather outfit?

Hi there and I hope you are well. Where I live, a fair amount of the year it gets so outrageously hot one is pretty much forced to wear shorts for awhile. If full britches are “mandatory” (so to speak) I really enjoy the look and feel of linen. Reasonably cool enough and nice looking. Given the climate and lifestyle of my location, neither normally look out of place.

Have you considered huaraches? The boat shoe and loafer type styles look very nice. Also, nowadays there are designs that have a much more substantial construction and padding in the sole and sides. Therefore, once broken in a little they are very comfortable and have much less of a feeling of wearing sandals.

I make pretty regular trips to Mexico and buy mine there at great prices. With the internet nowadays you could probably find something you like without having to travel. Probably going to pay a lot more though I would think.

Here are a few photos of the boat shoe style (at least that’s what I call them) that you may find interesting. The loafer styles I have are actually at my vacation home so I can’t share those right now.

Just an idea for you.

09F04B09-3C77-4863-A2F0-A5D59FA4B2A1.jpeg

E5130EE8-EBB2-4AB7-8F4E-49E26ECD24B6.jpeg

91C6D9A9-EC71-4373-9317-E9BCC4CCD861.jpeg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads