• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoes, Shorts, and Summer sans Sneakers and Sandals

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi there and I hope you are well. Where I live, a fair amount of the year it gets so outrageously hot one is pretty much forced to wear shorts for awhile. If full britches are “mandatory” (so to speak) I really enjoy the look and feel of linen. Reasonably cool enough and nice looking. Given the climate and lifestyle of my location, neither normally look out of place.

Have you considered huaraches? The boat shoe and loafer type styles look very nice. Also, nowadays there are designs that have a much more substantial construction and padding in the sole and sides. Therefore, once broken in a little they are very comfortable and have much less of a feeling of wearing sandals.

I make pretty regular trips to Mexico and buy mine there at great prices. With the internet nowadays you could probably find something you like without having to travel. Probably going to pay a lot more though I would think.

Here are a few photos of the boat shoe style (at least that’s what I call them) that you may find interesting. The loafer styles I have are actually at my vacation home so I can’t share those right now.

Just an idea for you.

View attachment 1792637

View attachment 1792638

View attachment 1792639

I have never heard of these until now. Thank you! I think I'll check these out!

Luis Anton

Reaction score
First, I totally get feeling hot and uncomfortable, especially in a jacket and tie. I just have never considered "leg heat" to be such torture as to merit wearing shorts in town.

Alternatives would include loose-fitting chinos, or tropical wool or linen trousers. The worst possible choice is denim, which to me is very hot.
Between the shorts (a no no IMHO) and the full trouser, there are right now a lot of alternatives. 3/4, loose Japanese trousers, etc. Check all these novelties. Two. If you feel uncomfortable in such an attire go back to the good old linen of yore. The WAF of linen is very low, in fact, I was begged never to use linen. Seems a nightmare to iron. I have solved the problem with my dry cleaning guy, who is very professional, btw. He irons the trousers or the shirts very nimbly. Two. When it comes to shoes the unlined suede penny loafers from Edward Green are great. No socks or minimal sports socks will give you a very sophisticated look. Add linen or cotton or linen/cotton long shirt plus a Panama and believe me you will be as smart looking as a swam. Of course not the attire you are expected to wear trying to sell stocks or attending a meeting of the board. Cloth beyond or beneath 110 grams is perfect for these occasions with suede shoes or very thin Italian loafers. The Spanish model Julio Iglesias is a possibility too. And remember Marinella has a special kind of ties (Neapolitan) as thin as a spider web. Highly recommended. Espadrilles are not what they used to be. But again they are very informal, beautiful as they are. Another option to do away with the jacket is a linen Teba. Again. It is less formal. The tropical look is very difficult to avoid if you really need to be formal in the heat of the (serious) summer.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
+1 on the desert boots.

Has anyone suggested boat shoes? Sperry makes a decent pair for knocking around in the summer with shorts. The Sperry's are leather and inexpensive enough that you can get a new pair every summer and it won't break the bank. They can also be "dressed up" with a pair of chinos if need be.

No they can't...unless you are a frat boy!

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I keep seeing this word "crisp" in menswear articles. Does it mean ironed?

447f46c62f455325f7f5cfc26e99436ef2e3a056_original.jpeg

AX2007

Reaction score
No they can't...unless you are a frat boy!

Maybe some of us are frat boys? There might be someone on here waiting to put on their boat shoes, chinos, and tank top, and head down to the bars on 2nd Ave in Sutton Place.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe some of us are frat boys? There might be someone on here waiting to put on their boat shoes, chinos, and tank top, and head down to the bars on 2nd Ave in Sutton Place.

2nd ave doesn't go to Sutton Place, you heathen. That's 1st ave. Godddddddddddd.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Oh...you are one of those dudes I see walking around with extra wrinkled chinos/khakis and boat shoes? My bad! Proceed!

AX2007

Reaction score
Oh...you are one of those dudes I see walking around with extra wrinkled chinos/khakis and boat shoes? My bad! Proceed!

Can I wear my backwards trucker cap? If so, I will proceed.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How am I supposed to remember that after all the White Clawzzzz?!?

Also, Sutton Place is hella residential and has no bars of note. Bruh. If you were really a frat boy, you'd know where the drinks be flowin' and the party is lit.

I judge you. I judge you from the pits of Hell.

AX2007

Reaction score
A shoe I increasingly like is the Greenflex chukka boot made by Astorflex in Northern Italy.

I actually have this boot, and I think of it as a much more well built Clark's desert boot. This has pros and cons; in the summer, I rather prefer the super thin construction of the Clark's desert boot. With that being said, I think the Greenflex chukka boot is the better overall shoe.

AX2007

Reaction score
Also, Sutton Place is hella residential and has no bars of note. Bruh. If you were really a frat boy, you'd know where the drinks be flowin' and the party is lit.

I judge you. I judge you from the pits of Hell.

Realtors have a very flexible definition of neighborhoods when it comes to charging more money for the same apartment. I've always heard from this group that the "Sutton Place" neighborhood extends all the way to Lexington. If you look on Streeteasy, the overlords of Manhattan real estate, that is how they define it.

Like the kids say... There's no law when drinking Clawz. Especially when it comes to which neighborhood frat boys puke on their nice boat shoes.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Realtors have a very flexible definition of neighborhoods when it comes to charging more money for the same apartment. I've always heard from this group that the "Sutton Place" neighborhood extends all the way to Lexington. If you look on Streeteasy, the overlords of Manhattan real estate, that is how they define it.

Like the kids say... There's no law when drinking Clawz. Especially when it comes to which neighborhood frat boys puke on their nice boat shoes.

The frat boys are mostly down in NYU or up in Columbia. The CUNY kids are not fratty. In fact, CUNY banned frats because a Chinese student got murdered in a drinking party gone awry.

But yeah, I am sure Sutton Place now extends everywhere. Neighbourhood creep is a way that certain areas can sound more appealing to people who don't know nothin' about the city.

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My 17-year-old son claims the current move is board shorts and white Crocs, but I'm willing to entertain the notion that this may work better in California than Manhattan.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads