• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoes, Shorts, and Summer sans Sneakers and Sandals

blewnote1

Reaction score
First, I totally get feeling hot and uncomfortable, especially in a jacket and tie. I just have never considered "leg heat" to be such torture as to merit wearing shorts in town.

Alternatives would include loose-fitting chinos, or tropical wool or linen trousers. The worst possible choice is denim, which to me is very hot.

Completely agree.

However to answer your question: if you're already dressed down to wearing shorts, I think the footwear is immaterial... sandals/loafers/espadrilles/boat shoes/etc, wear whatever is comfortable. If you want to avoid wearing shorts, you need to invest in clothing that will perform well in the heat.

As someone who lives in New Orleans (which is the epitome of hot and humid starting about now and going until late September), you need to look into loose fitting, breathable clothing. For pants, look for loose fitting linen dress pants that will let any slight breeze cool you off and not feel so constricting. I just got a pair of high twist loose woven wool pants to see how they fare, that could be another option.

If you feel strongly about having a tie on, make sure the shirt is linen or some gauzy type of open weave cotton, and the jacket is unlined linen or loose weave wool/silk/linen blend. Personally, I'm leaning towards ditching the tie during the hottest months and drawing from 1930's/1940's daytime resort wear for inspiration: knit t-shirts/polos, camp collar shirts, short sleeve button downs etc. paired with an unlined and breathable jacket. You're still wearing a jacket, but with significantly less material covering your body and leaving more skin exposed to the air. Depending on the shoe and the pants I think you may be able to get away with no-show socks without loafers (like suede derbies or bucks), which gives one more place for bare skin to be exposed to the air.

maxalex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Completely agree.

However to answer your question: if you're already dressed down to wearing shorts, I think the footwear is immaterial... sandals/loafers/espadrilles/boat shoes/etc, wear whatever is comfortable. If you want to avoid wearing shorts, you need to invest in clothing that will perform well in the heat.

As someone who lives in New Orleans (which is the epitome of hot and humid starting about now and going until late September), you need to look into loose fitting, breathable clothing. For pants, look for loose fitting linen dress pants that will let any slight breeze cool you off and not feel so constricting. I just got a pair of high twist loose woven wool pants to see how they fare, that could be another option.

If you feel strongly about having a tie on, make sure the shirt is linen or some gauzy type of open weave cotton, and the jacket is unlined linen or loose weave wool/silk/linen blend. Personally, I'm leaning towards ditching the tie during the hottest months and drawing from 1930's/1940's daytime resort wear for inspiration: knit t-shirts/polos, camp collar shirts, short sleeve button downs etc. paired with an unlined and breathable jacket. You're still wearing a jacket, but with significantly less material covering your body and leaving more skin exposed to the air. Depending on the shoe and the pants I think you may be able to get away with no-show socks without loafers (like suede derbies or bucks), which gives one more place for bare skin to be exposed to the air.
I used to know Dr. John through work (not close friends or anything but yeah) when he lived in NYC in the summer, which he always did--he had an apartment in upper Manhattan. One time I asked him why the **** he spent summers in the furnace of Manhattan. He said because New Orleans was too ******* hot. He wasn't a beach guy...also I never saw him in shorts.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@JFWR, If you don't like sneakers or sandals and have are a tough fit for loafers, you might try desert boots They can look good w/ shorts imo:
View attachment 1790209
A crepe sole would be great for walking too. Similarly, bucks might work. If you didn't want to give up on loafers, I would guess that Rancourt would be able to find something that would fit you. Camp mocs are prob my favorite shoe to wear with shorts. If you don't like sandals because you don't like showing your toes, Birkenstock Bostons or Amsterdams could work well.

Yeah, I was thinking bucs, wasn't sure about desert boots. I have chukkas, but no proper desert boots.

norMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I was thinking bucs, wasn't sure about desert boots. I have chukkas, but no proper desert boots.

I would suggest a penny loafer of some sorts. Try some with different vamp heigth and you might find something that you like. Also beef-roll loafers can be nice. Rancourt has several good options. Alden lhs is a classic.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Camp Mocs really are the answer here. I feel like they’re a better option for casual than penny loafers and you’d be surprised how far up the formality chain you can take them (DWW recently posted some pictures of John Updike in camp Mocs with tailored trousers and a sport coat).

They look good with shorts, chinos, fatigues…hard to beat in my book.

pedroims

Reaction score
My options for this summer.

Minimalist sneakers if I know I am going to walk a decent distance.

Drivers if the walking is not that much.

Tassels/penny in brown suede if Im looking for a more preppy look.

Sandals are restricted to pool/beach.

This year all my shorts are from BR.

js0930

Reaction score
Just bought a pair of Rancourt pinch penny loafers for this exact purpose. Ranger mocs would be great for this as well - planning to get a pair of those after I get back from Europe. And don’t pay attention to the naysayers - they probably skip leg day.

Funcheese

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Currently in Buy and Sell ;)

06B53F5F-6B3A-4877-B0D4-5F1441CB6CE9.jpeg
69A9F497-2F38-4A62-81F9-952F6CA672A5.jpeg

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What do you folks think of split toed derbys as summer shoes? The split toe design shares similarities with mocassins in the apron, but they are a lace up given the derby enclosure. Might this not be an alternative to the ranger/camp mocs, boat shoes, and loafers suggested, or would this look too formal with a pair of shorts during the day time?

I mean, I am not so sure I'd wear the Edward Green Dover in such a context, but what about something like the Allen Edmonds Bradley? Example:
m_6230dc2d7ec30c762a14e3a7.jpeg

I have this shoe in burgundy shell.

Jan-Mikael

Reaction score
What do you folks think of split toed derbys as summer shoes? The split toe design shares similarities with mocassins in the apron, but they are a lace up given the derby enclosure. Might this not be an alternative to the ranger/camp mocs, boat shoes, and loafers suggested, or would this look too formal with a pair of shorts during the day time?

I mean, I am not so sure I'd wear the Edward Green Dover in such a context, but what about something like the Allen Edmonds Bradley? Example:
m_6230dc2d7ec30c762a14e3a7.jpeg

I have this shoe in burgundy shell.

In my head, they would look awful with shorts.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prxtzt