1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Shoes for tuxedo

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by johnnynorman3, Feb 13, 2005.

1. jcusey

jcusey Senior member Dubiously Honored

My slippers have leather soles. I wouldn't wear them outside, but they have leather soles.

Edit: But I certainly agree with your larger point that the shoes pictured aren't slippers (or, rather, that they don't have to be worn like slippers).

2. jcusey

jcusey Senior member Dubiously Honored

It may be that the rules are that you either wear patent leather lace-ups or box-calf opera pumps with a tuxedo. I don't know. I do know that I will not be wearing either: I can't stand the plasticky look that patent leather has; and in most situations where I will be wearing a tuxedo, I have no wish to call attention to myself by wearing opera pumps. I also know that both Edward Green and John Lobb Paris have undeniably formal shoes made from box calf, and that's good enough for me.

I'm currently having a pair of wholecut shoes made similar to the ones that johnnynorman3 pictures, and I intend to wear them with my tuxedo. I'll probably replace the standard laces with wide silk ones when I wear them for this purpose. Johnny, I think that the shoes are fine, and if it's breaking the rules to wear them with a tuxedo, I say that you should break the rules.

3. zjpj83

zjpj83 Senior member

I am probably one of the younger members of this forum. On Friday, I wore an exquisite double-breasted midnight blue tuxedo, wing collar, a black bow-tie that actually ties, braces, silk hose, and opera pumps.
    Classic fashion knows no age limits.

4. johnnynorman3

johnnynorman3 Senior member

Well, I ended up buying those Mezlan ones on Ebay. For $105, I'm willing to get a pair of shoes that can't do double duty. They look nice enough to me, and I must admit that Manton's rules (I know, they aren't YOUR rules, Manton [​IMG] ) was enough to get me to buy some patent leather shoes. These ones actually look pretty nice, because the outsole is not prominent at all. Mezlan fit me pretty well too. In the end, I like the Ferragamo wholecuts, and think they'd go fine with a tuxedo. But $355 is a lot when I could wait a while for a pair just as good or better and get them for a whole lot cheaper (Chris . . . oh, Chris . . . ). Thanks everyone.

5. SylvesterPennoyer

SylvesterPennoyer Member

Does the lack of response to my previous question of whether Allen-Edmonds Park Avenue is appropriate for tuxedo wear indicate that it is a ridiculous question and the answer is "no way"???

6. zjpj83

zjpj83 Senior member

SylvesterPennoyer - as they are very plain, they are better than some of the other shoes I have seen paired with semi-formal entire. I'm sure we've all seen the odd tassle loafer here and there. If you aren't going with patent leather lace ups or opera pumps, the Park Avenue is a great compromise.

johnnynorman3 - Sorry, I didn't see your post about the Mezlans earlier. I actually own those shoes myself. - the exact same ones. They are a nice patent leather, and that strip along the side is actually a grosgrain strip - kind of an interesting touch. You also got a great deal. They are very respectable and have held up very well indeed through years of much dancing and merriment.

7. cuffthis

cuffthis Senior member

These are what you should want (Grenson Masterpiece opera pumps for Paul Stuart). I wear this pair 50% of the time with my formal wear. [​IMG] This is the other pair I wear. Tricker's silk crossgrain loafers with red quilted silk linings. And no, Marc Au, they are not slippers. [​IMG]

8. johnnynorman3

johnnynorman3 Senior member

Ha. Those are great, but you are wrong -- those are NOT what I want. [​IMG]

9. zjpj83

zjpj83 Senior member

I have those Grensons too. I bought a wide width, and I still find them a bit tight across the toes. Do you find the same thing?

10. Horace

Horace Senior member

I don't think it is. To adapt Manton's argument, it's more loafer than formal pump. It looks like an amalgamation of the two.

11. Horace

Horace Senior member

Ah the old debate between highly-polished calf and patent leather. Â I don't which side to favor. But I like this calf grenson formal pump, 4th down on left: http://www.benniesshoes.com/grenson10.htm And this is the patent version, 2nd down, 2nd from left: http://www.benniesshoes.com/grenson10.5.htm Edit: see that you gents have already posted Grensons. Like Z., I've found them a bit tight across the toe. And when I went up a half-size, they became to long, and still a bit tight. I don't think I have freakishly abnormally sized feet either, so I don't get it.

12. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

Proper tuxedo footwear have a bow, and are pumps. Such as what Belgian Shoes might produce.

And usually they are not patent leather. Patent leather works well for a fairly typical black tie ensemble in my opinion.

13. pejsek

pejsek Senior member

I must say I don't quite get the squeamishness about pumps. These are clearly the shoes to wear with a dinner jacket. Oh, I know everyone makes a patent leather laceup, but I really think that's just an accomodation and the way to really stand apart from the rented tuxes is to don the pump with bows in patent or black calf.
    Funny, though, every time I see a pair of these in a thrift store they are in the womens section. But those guys aren't the arbiters of taste, are they? I recently bought a few things from Fallan & Harvey (1 suit and 2 jackets) at the local Goodwill and even in pristine condition they were priced well below, say, a well-worn Tommy Hilfiger jacket.
    If you go for the laceups I think minimal lacing is a nice touch. I have an old pair of patent leather laceups by Alan McAfee with a two-eyelet closure (so they don't look too much like business shoes).