• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoe Wear Question

alebrady

Reaction score
I travel almost every 3-4 days/week for work. I carry on my luggage but between dress shoes and runnnig shoes for my workout, the shoes always tend to take up the most space in my bags.

I am wondering - is it damaging to my high quality shoes to take only one pair a week but wear them on 3-4 consecutive days and then give them 1-2 weeks off completely and then repeat the cycle.

In aggregate, say over a 3-4 week period, i would be essentially wearing them the same amount as every 3rd day....but i suspect that it is the consecutive days part that would be harmful?

I would be able to put them in shoe trees overnight, while on the the trip - if that would make a difference?

thanks!

Deedee

Reaction score
I would not do it if you could avoid wearing shoes for a few days in a row since the day given to the shoe when it is not worn is needed for the material to relax. Otherwise you will put too much strain on a single pair for a number of days. Furthermore I would always put them on shoe trees when shoes are not worn.

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I travel almost every 3-4 days/week for work. I carry on my luggage but between dress shoes and runnnig shoes for my workout, the shoes always tend to take up the most space in my bags.
I am wondering - is it damaging to my high quality shoes to take only one pair a week but wear them on 3-4 consecutive days and then give them 1-2 weeks off completely and then repeat the cycle.
In aggregate, say over a 3-4 week period, i would be essentially wearing them the same amount as every 3rd day....but i suspect that it is the consecutive days part that would be harmful?
I would be able to put them in shoe trees overnight, while on the the trip - if that would make a difference?
thanks!

Bring 2 pairs of dress shoes, but pack better: don't bring shoe trees with you, instead put socks/undershirt/etc. inside those shoes.

alebrady

Reaction score

Bring 2 pairs of dress shoes, but pack better: don't bring shoe trees with you, instead put socks/undershirt/etc. inside those shoes.

what size shoe are you wearing that you would fit undershirts/etc. in there? socks and belts and things easy to fit in shoes are not the issue - two suits, workout wear, two laptops (and associated peripherals), large number of files - and then trying to fit in two pairs of shoes are.

Last edited:

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

what size shoe are you wearing that you would fit undershirts/etc. in there? socks and belts and things easy to fit in shoes are not the issue - two suits, workout wear, two laptops (and associated peripherals), large number of files - and then trying to fit in two pairs of shoes are.

Sounds like you're a consultant? My size is 8, so if I can fit my stuff in, I am sure everyone can. Laptops should be on their own bag anyway, no?

koolhistorian

Reaction score
Travelling 3- 4 days on a carry -on becomes a little bit difficult these days (here in Europe) they are limiting both size and weight, so it must be planned ahead.
1. Make (buy) your suits with two pairs of pants - see Prince William on his Canada trip - wore the same navy suit for 3 days at least. Let one pant to rest wear the other;
2. Keep your work-out outfit at a minimum;
3. Travel with your suit on you - you will get more smiles at the check-in counter , and possibly, an upgrade;
4. shoes - put the bulkiest pair on your feet, carry two travel shoe trees (plastic) in the bag, stuff the other pair of shoes with socks, boxers, etc. Undershirts, rolled, can be used to level the bottom of your suitcase;
5. I travel with a small , light, hand steamer, it works miracles on the back of the jackets and on the pants.
6. Be redundant in building your travel - plan ahead.

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I stopped running while on the road so I could pack MUCH smaller 'athletic shoes'. I do cardio on the bike, in the pool, or occasionally on the treadmill.

I don't think one needs much special footwear for anything other than actual running. I've gone with basic slip on canvas shoes for workout, locker room and trips to and from the pool.

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I stopped running while on the road so I could pack MUCH smaller 'athletic shoes'.

Yeah, five finger shoes. I hate those, but my co-workers love them, look quite compact to me.

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not convinced this whole 'barefoot' running craze is the way to go. Nor am I sure about the five toed shoes.

Certainly not unless one is running on turf of some sort. God (or evolution if you insist on their being a difference) did not design feet to run on concrete, gravel, pavement, so some sort of cushioning is needed.

I am certain the toed shoes look kooky to me - but that's probably just because they are relatively new - after a while the 'eye' will adjust.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads