• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoe soles

DandySF

Reaction score
I took a look at one of the new Allen Edmonds shoes, the good looking monk strap with just a single buckle. As much as I like the shoe, and its slightly burnished brown leather, I just can't quite warm up to the sole. It's a hybrid that combines a conventional leather sole and then a thin overlay of rubber. I'm almost inclined to get the shoe and then have it re-soled with plain leather.

This comes to mind because yesterday I saw a well-dressed man walking in shoes that featured this sort of hybrid sole. I was surprised to find myself thinking that the soles detracted from his otherwise handsome ensemble.

Does anyone else care about the sole of a shoe? I've attached a picture of the sole in question:

Renault78law

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Most of us don't like rubber on the soles. But if you have a long walking commute, particularly if you have to brave rain often, rubber is a practical alternative. The key is finding a good compromise. I own a pair of shoes that has a very thin rubber sole (Gucci ankleboots) that looks no different than a black leather. If the shoe pictured has a clunky rubber sole, I'd look for something more elegant. Resoling a pair of brand new AE's doesn't seem worthwhile; I'm sure you'll be able to find a comparable pair of monkstraps with a leather sole.

Master Shake

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was looking at the exact same shoe just the other day on the AE website, and had a similar reaction when I saw the sole. Just know that you are not alone.

amemovox

Reaction score
I own a pair of A&E shoes with this sole. They call it "Tempest". It is very comfortable, lightweight and provides excellent traction thus eliminating slipping.

What comes to mind when I think of a rubber sole is the thick, heavy, inflexible
material that detracts from a shoe's appearance. Give the A&E Tempest a chance.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
It's similar to Dainite composite soles and is totally excusable/appropriate in a casual or fouler weather shoe. Also good for those who for whatever reason are not as sure of footing.

98% of people would never notice/care, and as long as the uppers are good quality and in good shape, the rest will understand.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics