• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoe shopping in Paris near St Germain

Volkl

Reaction score
I leave tonight for Paris and will have one afternoon free for shopping tomorrow. I believe it is now the solde season, so I was hoping to get lucky in the 6th and 7th arrondissements, basically walking up boulevards St. Germain and Raspail and hitting

LodinG
C&J
Shipton and Heneage
Berluti (which I cannot afford)
Bexley

My real hope is to score something at C&J. I am an impatient retail shopper, so any advice on where to concentrate my energy in this part of the city would be most welcome. Are there some of these I should skip, or more importantly others I should add?

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really like Heschung and have bought several pairs in Paris. I think the style and price makes them a very good value. They have some pretty cool designs as well as some classic styles. They have several shops around Paris and I believe one is near St Germain.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Add Emling to your list. Some attractive designs and very good value on sale.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Volkl
I leave tonight for Paris and will have one afternoon free for shopping tomorrow. I believe it is now the solde season, so I was hoping to get lucky in the 6th and 7th arrondissements, basically walking up boulevards St. Germain and Raspail and hitting

LodinG
C&J
Shipton and Heneage
Berluti (which I cannot afford)
Bexley

My real hope is to score something at C&J. I am an impatient retail shopper, so any advice on where to concentrate my energy in this part of the city would be most welcome. Are there some of these I should skip, or more importantly others I should add?

For shoe sightseeing in that area there are also Aubercy on rue de Luynes and Lobb on BSG, as well as Altan off boul Raspail on a small side street. C&J is expensive even on sale -- I believe the sale prices for handgrade SUBS were still over 300 euros. Lobb sometimes has interesting sale prices in Paris -- I got my first and only pair of Lobbs there during sales for 150 euros.

Bowen has a shop around there. Finsbury probably does as well. There is a Paul Smeese shoe shop on Boul Raspail and a Church's on rue du Dragon, although it is much more expensive than the US. The Bon Marche on rue de Sevres has a decent shoe section with Paraboot as well as many designers -- and may have decent sale prices. It's probably the most interesting department store in Paris. Paraboot is my favorite walking shoe brand -- their main shop is somewhere in the 7th on one of those streets (rue de Grenelle, maybe?).

I would say concentrate on Loding or Finsbury for shoes if you are on a budget. Made in India or Portugal probably, decent quality and designs. Bexley's designs are generally not elegant. Bowen used to be nice but seems to have slipped. I believe they are affiliated with Manfield, which is a shop off BSG that sells various shoe brands including Moreschi and may have a decent sale. Berluti never has sales but they are made by a company called Stefanobi, which makes shoes with a similar esthetic. Toni Truant on rue des Canettes or rue Guisarde sell them and will probably have a sale on.

Emling is nice. Good quality and designs by the French Alan Flusser, Marc Guyot. Donegan is also a good brand. Not sure if they have shops in the 6th and 7th -- check their sites.

Volkl

Reaction score
RJman, you are the man! That is incredibly helpful. I was going to skip Lobb on budget grounds, which is probably still the right move, but your tale of a sale find means I will definitely pass by at least. Heschung also looks like a find.
All this advice is timely and much appreciated.

pabloj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can't you take the metro to Opera and visit Carmina? Great shoes and will probably have a sale going on.

Volkl

Reaction score
It's very doable--I am just lazy (or I could say, prospectively jet-lagged, but lazy is closer to the mark). What sort of price range might Carmina come in? Don't know much about them.

pabloj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I remember well it's from 250 to 500 € (upper limit is for shell cordovan), I've posted a photo of their shopwindow somewhere in this forum (here)

Volkl

Reaction score
Thanks--I will expand my horizons and cross the river to check out the Carmina store.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
And JM WESTON , even if the Champs-Elysees shop is more impressive...

Volkl

Reaction score
JM Weston, like everything else on the Champs Elysees, is probably beyond my means, if I have understood its pricing structure correctly.

HHD

Reaction score
Prices for C&J in Paris are very high compared to their English shops. The prices have not been reduced to reflect the rise in value of the euro against pounds sterling: Bear in mind that even in the sale, you might be paying 100 euros more than you'd pay in London for the same shoe.

As far as I can tell, this is true of all the English brands in Paris.

Paraboot, Weston and Heschung are worth checking - I'm not keen on Heschung's recent turn towards fashion shoes, but the traditional walking shoes (still made in Alsace, in some cases) are well worth your time.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The difference in prices between the UK and France is more due to the collapse of the pound more than a definitive trend.
Most upmarket brands have roughly the same prices around the world..
It is only the currency fluctuations we're talking here.
A few years ago , when the pound was a lot higher ,English people used to come shopping in France.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pabloj
If I remember well it's from 250 to 500 € (upper limit is for shell cordovan), I've posted a photo of their shopwindow somewhere in this forum (here)

Yeah €300-€500 with regular shoes being €350 if I remember correctly. They have some nice lasts and models.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads