• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoe questions from a noob

micbain

Reaction score
Okay, I've been frequenting this forum for almost a year but I'm still a total noob at certain things so forgive me as I ask the following:

1. Boots - I like RM Williams and may purchase a pair soon so the question is: When are these "dress boots" appropriate? Are they worn only casual situations or can they be worn with a suit?

2. Monk straps/ Double monk straps - Same question as above.

Thanks,

micbain

Reaction score
Thank you sir.

A related follow up q: For boots - what is the forum opinion of Crockett & Jones vs RM Williams? If you had to choose just a pair from just one of these makers, which would you choose?

Thanks

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The RM Williams is a little more rugged than other chelseas. As such, it's a little more casual. I don't hesitate to wear them with suits, but others here do, and it's possible to find dressier chelseas. If you need them primarily for that purpose, that might be something to consider.

I'm not a huge C&J fan, so I'd lean toward the RM Williams, but that's purely my personal preference. At around the same price point, Martegani makes a nice chelsea.

academe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by micbain
Thank you sir. A related follow up q: For boots - what is the forum opinion of Crockett & Jones vs RM Williams? If you had to choose just a pair from just one of these makers, which would you choose? Thanks
I think this is almost an apple & oranges question in my book. C&J have what I would consider more elegant lasts, while RM Williams have a slightly more rugged, muscular look to them. Your choice between the two would depend on your personality and the occasion. I'd look at the shoe p0rn thread for suggestions as to other chelseas or dress boots. There really is a wide range to chose from... FWIW- I also wear dress boots in any situation where I would wear shoes, except for very formal events.

micbain

Reaction score
I apologize, I should have been clearer - what other chelseas in that particular price range (RM & CJ range)?

The shoe Appreciation thread contains a lot of nice shoes which are well beyond my means - seems like every other pair is EG or JL!

academe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I apologize, I should have been clearer - what other chelseas in that particular price range (RM & CJ range)?

The shoe Appreciation thread contains a lot of nice shoes which are well beyond my means - seems like every other pair is EG or JL!

Where are you based? Are you in the UK/Europe or the US? If you're in the US, you might consider Brooks Brothers' Peal shoes (I think these are made by C&J or Alfred Sargeant). You might also consider some of the other English shoemakers like Alfred Sargeant, Loake, Cheaney, Trickers, etc. Even though they're not chelseas, you might consider getting these chukkas by Alden for Rubber Soul:

http://www.leathersoulhawaii.com/200...-dress-chukka/

For some reason, I really like these <sigh>. Too many shoes, too little time...

micbain

Reaction score
Now, another question which has arised from reading your post:

What is the difference between a chukka and a chelsea?

micbain

Reaction score
Sorry - but the other british shoe makers (specifically loakes) I've heard some mixed reviews on this forum, where as the CJ seem to have glowing reviews - what gives?

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Now, another question which has arised from reading your post: What is the difference between a chukka and a chelsea?
Chelsea has elastic sides, while a chukka is a laceup. This is a chukka:
chukkas.jpg
Sorry - but the other british shoe makers (specifically loakes) I've heard some mixed reviews on this forum, where as the CJ seem to have glowing reviews - what gives?
Some of the makers are better than others -- it's really as simple as that. C&J is a solid, mid-tier maker, in terms of the English spectrum. Loakes are at the lower end, as their best stuff is only passable by the lofty standards of many SF shoe fiends. Loake's less expensive offerings, for example, are made with lesser-quality leather, and the shoes show it with wear. C&J, on the other hand, is much better overall. Even their less expensive offerings are decent shoes by any standard. At the upper end of the spectrum you have John Lobb and Edward Green, which offer better leather, better detailing, fancy finishes, etc., but at a correspondingly higher price. If you're interested in specific brands, try doing searches on them. There's a ton of great info here on the topic.

datasupa

Reaction score

You're going to buy an M3 but you can't afford EG?
plain.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads