• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoe polishing screwup

Redsoxwin

Reaction score
Looking to see if anyone can help. I started to try to remove a food oil stain from a pair of Dalton’s. After trying talcum powder, renomat etc, I can confirm the rubber cement trick worked.
Feeling confident, I want after a scratch on the other boot, adding more and more polish until I created a dark spot. I went after it with renomat, and in my enthusiasm I wore off all the polish. So now I need help. My first thought was to apply renovatuer and then build up layers of polish. But when I add the renovatuer and polish, it makes the spot dark, almost black.
Is is a matter of letting each layer dry before adding more? Or do I need professional help?
Thought appreciated

Attachments

• 181C8CD1-E1E0-48EB-884F-B9DFD1342D16.jpeg
    181C8CD1-E1E0-48EB-884F-B9DFD1342D16.jpeg
    462.7 KB · Views: 90

Anachronist

Reaction score
Let it dry, usually the spot will lighten up. If it doesn't, I would gently try to clean the vamp afain with renomat, maybe even more evenly remove the polish and then treat it with a less oily conditioner (Dasco Leather Conditioner), which usually dries without leaving dark spots, but nourishes the leather like the Saphir renovateur. In any case, after putting the conditioners on, I usually give the shoes a day and a night for the stuff to seep in, because polish tends not to adhere so well to freshly conditioned leather because of the oils in the conditioner. Good luck in fixing it and view it as a patina opportunity :)

Redsoxwin

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions. Im hopeful letting it dry over a day or so after applying conditioner will minimize the dark spots.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads