• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoe maintenance for ebay purchase

Sartorian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
After struggling to find any shoe in my size anywhere, I just won a used pair of Aldens in my size on ebay (thanks to a helpful suggestion by a SF member):

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ayphotohosting

Though they're obviously well worn, I'm very happy with the price.

This will be my first real pair of designer shoes so I'd like to do what I can.

I'm just wondering, for anyone who has purchased used shoes, if there is anything specific I should do when I get these. Should I take them to a shoe repair person? Any parts of the shoes I should look over for problems? Should I shine them or condition them no matter what, or put something on them only if I see some telltale sign?

Also, are there a specific kind of shoe tree I should look to purchase? Anyone link me to a purchase spot, or should I just go into one of the AE or dept. stores and purchase there?

Thanks for tips!

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was looking at those, nice score. It's hard to tell whether you will need to take them to a shoe repair as he doesn't show the sole at all. You might need new heels, you might not need anything. They look okay though.

Barring massive sole wear, the only thing I would do is condition them well especially on the flex vamp area (I use lexol), wait a couple days and then polish it.

Sartorian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info.

These kinds of questions come up for me all the time, and the referencing/searching functions on here are terrible.

I've now searched for 15 minutes, and the pictorial index pin is not working:

what's the 'flex vamp' area?

mrwiz

Reaction score
That's the wrinkled part on the front of the shoe above the toe cap. Lexol is a leather conditioner that, combined with polish, can reduce the appearance and severity of the wrinkling evident in the listing photo.

Jared

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is a minority opinion, but depending on the weather where you live you might want to have Topys put on.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 107 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 107 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads