• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoe Fit Thread

kronik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In recent light of the CT sale and the number of people that found that they were relatively ill-fitting in regards to their "posted" sizes, I figured it might be a good idea (if feasible) to compile a list of shoes that are true to size, run small, or run large.

I'll start - CT Loakes - run approximately 1 size larger than posted.
John Lobb 8000 (I'll correct if necessary) runs a little long.

I'm not sure how well this can work or helpful it can be, but I figured it was worth a shot. I do realize that it will depend on the last as well so please note that if you can.
wink.gif

pkincy

Reaction score
I can join in.

I consider my AEs as the standard and will wear a 9D in everything that will fit. If it doesn't fit well rather than change sizes I will pass.

I wear a 8.5E in C&J 337 and 330 last
and a 8.5E in John Lobb 8000 last although these fit less snugly than my EGs or C&Js. There is a chance I could/would wear an 8E in the 7000 last but that is from trying on the shoes not owning a pair yet.

I wear an 8.5 E in EG 888 last and have ordered an 8.5E in the Chelsea on the 606 last from the sale.

Perry

mbc

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pkincy
I wear a 8.5E in C&J 337 and 330 last
and a 8.5E in John Lobb 8000 last although these fit less snugly than my EGs or C&Js. There is a chance I could/would wear an 8E in the 7000 last but that is from trying on the shoes not owning a pair yet.

I wear an 8.5 E in EG 888 last and have ordered an 8.5E in the Chelsea on the 606 last from the sale.

Point of order... is that 8.5E the original UK size or converted to US size?

oscarthewild

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pkincy
I can join in. I consider my AEs as the standard and will wear a 9D in everything that will fit. If it doesn't fit well rather than change sizes I will pass. I wear a 8.5E in C&J 337 and 330 last and a 8.5E in John Lobb 8000 last although these fit less snugly than my EGs or C&Js. There is a chance I could/would wear an 8E in the 7000 last but that is from trying on the shoes not owning a pair yet. I wear an 8.5 E in EG 888 last and have ordered an 8.5E in the Chelsea on the 606 last from the sale. Perry
I wear a UK 9 E in the 337 and a UK 9.5E in the 330 last. (Find that 330 is considerably shorter than the 337) 10.5 in most US shoes. Size 10 US in Alden loafers though.

tsherry

Reaction score
CT calf derby UK 10 1/2 E
CT suede chukka UK 10 1/2 E
Tom James Barton (C & J) 12 D
Santoni (regular line, not FAM) 12 D
Paul Stuart (Grenson Masterpiece) 12 D
Mephisto (11 1/2)
Alden LHS 986 Cordovan 11 1/2 C
Ferragamo patent pumps 12 M
J & M (old) 12 M

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Alden 11.5 B/D. (Same in J&M, Cole Haan FWIW). A very nice fit.
Santoni 11.5 U.S - the same, perhaps a bit on the narrow side.
RLPL by EG 888 last 11DUK/11.5 U.S, which gives a comfortable, snug fit. (I have a pair of 10.5E U.K.'s on the 89 last on the way and will edit this to update it as appropriate.)
On the CT/Loake 23 last (semi-brogues) I wear a 10.5G, which fits fine but if anything a bit loose - possibly a 10.5F would be better.
CT calf derby 10.5F fits well.
In the CT/Loake suede chukka's, an 11 U.K. is way too big.
In my Grenson/ Paul Stuart loafers, an 11.5 is a comfortable/loose fit.
In Magli loafers, 11.5 is about right (there's some difference between the two models I own, I would have to look to give the specifics).

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Normally I wear a 10.5 US Loake / Charles Tyrwhitt last 029 (ie Norwich side-seam wholecut ) UK 10 is too loose at heel. UK 9.5 is still wide at heel but better fit. Loake / Charles Tyrwhitt last 026 (ie Charles Tyrwhitt black calfskin brogued ankle boots) UK 10 is a good fit, could possibly go down half size but heel fit is better than on the 029 last above. Grenson Ilkley brogued country boot - UK 10 (only available in G fit) - slightly loose at middle of boot, heel width is greater however it is very bearable and allows thicker or double sock. Polo Ralph Lauren Tarlton II double leather-soled boot with double upper buckles. US 10.5 is too loose at heel. Definitely need to size down. Loding Milan wholecut - US 10.5 is loose at heel. US 10 is a much better fit, width is good. Allen Edmonds Park Avenue - US 10 is a good fit but a slight bit too narrow at front of shoe. Don't remember what width it is. Allen Edmonds Fairfax - US 10.5 is loose at heel (wide width?) New info: Allen Edmonds Hastings - US 10 D is almost perfect Allen Edmonds Fairfax - US 10 D is almost perfect Update: R.M. Williams Stockman kangaroo leather buckle boots (jodphur boots) - 9 F Australian/UK size. Snug fit mid foot, very slight heel looseness but very comfy. Another update: Clarks Desert Boots: size 10 (US). Pretty good fit. Not sure if I could have gone down to 9.5, they may have been too snug. But they work ok with thin/dress socks and very well with slightly thicker socks. And another update: R.M. Williams Craftsman, 9G (Australian), yearling. Surprisingly it does not feel as snug as the kangaroo-leather Stockman, but at the same time it is not as loose at ankles as the Stockman. I'd blame my spindly ankles for that. Very comfortable. Stacy Adams Madison 00015 in size/width 10 D color Brown kidskin. Bought these because they were cheap and looked pretty decent unlike the vast majority of S.A. pimpwear. Fit is excellent. Comfortably snug, even at the ankles.

kronik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No more contributions? I figured people would appreciate this thread.
wink.gif

Riley Martin

Reaction score
I purchased 2 size 7.5 (uk) Loake shoes, Norwich and Twynning (spelling?).

The Twynning fits perfectly but the Norwich is half a size on the loose side.

kronik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Addition -

Barker Black - 11 1/2, Worthington? last.
Gucci - 10 1/2.
To Boot New York driving mocs - 10 1/2.
Santoni Brenden - 10 1/2.
Santoni Bristol - 10 1/2 (length is great, tight across toebox, returning tomorrow).

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
i know most people here like to wear their shoes on the snug side.
i prefer on the bit looser side (not loose).
i wear 10 in santoni classic perfect fit
i can wear a 9.5 in santoni FAM but i prefer to stay consistent and get a santoni FAM in 10 as well. it still fits, just a tad bit looser.

anything wrong with wearing shoes on the looser side? any opinions?

Sartorially Challenged

Reaction score
There is a phenomenon I noticed. I was wondering whether others noticed this too.

I wear AE, Polo in 9.5 US. Some Italian brands I wear 9. I find that 9.5 UK (9 US) Loake/CT are a bit on the loose side.

Now, it seems that most sellers translate 9.5 US to 9 UK, but their translation to the European size vary. Some mark 9 US as 42 Eur, others makr 8.5 US as 42 Eur.

I guess what I am trying to say is that with US and UK sizing, the fit varies (for me) from maker to maker. But if they specify the European size as 42, it invariably fits me, no matter what the brand. Why would this be the case?

Anyone else notice this?

kronik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've noticed that as well.. I pretty much go for a 44 and hope for the best.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Same here. Both Loding and Bexley funnily enough were rather generous with their conversion factors.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads