• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoe color w/ navy suits

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Well, if Bruce Boyer says it's okay then it's okay with me.
biggrin.gif

Horace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I consider that a simple rule like no loafers with a suit, and I will make that a rather dark, formal suit, out of respect for your well-considered comments, is not in my view anachronistic, it is merely proper, and appropriate, particularly if the fellow doing the wearing is an old guard traditionalist, who deals with others unamused by "fashion" or trends.
My argument all along has been, if not out-right stated, than implicitly that: the old guard does wear the Brooks Alden loafer with suit.

And to prove it, I am going to start doing so tomorrow. So there.

Horace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(prinseugen @ 12 Oct. 2004, 6:00) I consider that a simple rule like no loafers with a suit, and I will make that a rather dark, formal suit, out of respect for your well-considered comments, is not in my view anachronistic, it is merely proper, and appropriate, particularly if the fellow doing the wearing is an old guard traditionalist, who deals with others unamused by "fashion" or trends.
Also: allow me to add an excerpt from the article that StyleStudent pointed to (and see his other comments on the tassled loafer, contra yours). Of course, there are many ways to "read" this excerpt, and attaching the loafer to Bill Clinton may not be the most sartorially convincing thing to do: cited text: Today, Alden makes the legendary tassel loafer in oxblood, black, mahogany brown, whiskey (light) tan and ravello (dark) tan Cordovan (priced at around $375); and in burgundy, black, walnut brown, tan calf and brown suede (at around $245). The black calf version has been Alden's best-selling shoe for the past 40 years. It has become known as the lawyer's shoe, as when George Bush during his presidential campaign with Bill Clinton complained that Clinton was supported by "every lawyer that ever wore a tasseled loafer." And Bush, an Eastern Establishment guy if ever there was one, should know. End cited text:

STYLESTUDENT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also:  allow me to add an excerpt from the article that StyleStudent pointed to (and see his other comments on the tassled loafer, contra yours).  
Just to clarify, I personally don't wear tassel or other loafers when I wear a dark suit to a meeting or hearing but use my captoe oxfords instead. Mostly I wear sportcoats or blazers to the office with the tassel shoes. On some occasions, I'll wear a more casual suit (e.g. a lighter colored gray flannel) with a buttondown shirt and loafers. That's because I don't consider this combination much more formal than a sport jacket. It all depends on where you have to go during the workday.

prinseugen

Reaction score
(prinseugen @ 12 Oct. 2004, 6:00) I consider that a simple rule like no loafers with a suit, and I will make that a rather dark, formal suit, out of respect for your well-considered comments, is not in my view anachronistic, it is merely proper, and appropriate, particularly if the fellow doing the wearing is an old guard traditionalist, who deals with others unamused by "fashion" or trends.
My argument all along has been, if not out-right stated, than implicitly that: the old guard does wear the Brooks Alden loafer with suit. And to prove it, I am going to start doing so tomorrow. So there.
Knock yourself out, pal.

prinseugen

Reaction score
(prinseugen @ 12 Oct. 2004, 09:38)
Originally Posted by Thracozaag,11 Oct. 2004, 7:06
I can honestly thank the stars that I'm in a field where I don't have to worry about these ridiculous restrictions regarding loafers with suits. My one pair of Lobb shoes is a loafer. koji
Ridiculous restrictions? There is nothing ridiculous about propriety. And you are fortunate indeed to work in a field that allows you to freely express your preferences. Jack
Any line of work which frowns upon a gorgeous pair of loafers paired with a suit, I do find ridiculous, imo. koji
And I find your consistently disagreeable remarks ridiculous...at which point does a shining example of transcontinental success like you begin to communicate respectfully? I don't know what you do for a living, koji, but I have certainly done my level best to treat your point of view with respect. That's over. You are a rude and pretentious little man. May you wear your loafers to distraction.

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Koji is a very talented pianist. Koji, are you still playing for Mikhail Baryshnikov?

Thracozaag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Koji is a very talented pianist. Koji, are you still playing for Mikhail Baryshnikov?
Yes; strangely, he still deems it worthy enough to still work with me despite my loafer fetish, go figure.
On a side note, I was stuck in the Trenton train station (an exceedingly depressing place, especially at midnight on a sat. night) during the business rush hour and saw five gentlemen lined up like ducks in a row. All five were wearing either suits or a sportscoat/slacks combo, and yes, ALL FIVE were wearing tassled loafers. For the record, I object to the wearing of tasseled loafers with suits on aesthetic (one pair looked almost like a footjoy product one would don for a round of 18 holes) rather than proprietary grounds.
Prince, my friend, I've met some gigantic egos in my day in the music field but none take themselves quite as seriously as you do. Bravo.

koji

Nick M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Could it be that prinseugen is really Marc Grayson? Â Nah. Â I mean, really, who would go to the trouble of constantly creating new aliases for the express purpose of insulting people on an online forum. Â No one's life is that empty. Â Right?
Oh, Manton, where do you get those cockamamie theories of yours?
Thank you for the sterling recommendation, DejaVu--your respect for Mr. Beaman is reassuring (I visited his web site; a New York fitting will eventually work out for me). By the way, have you heard of a fellow by the name of Raphael, whose New York City shop is called Savile Row?
Who is this "Raphael" of whom you speak? Is he some kind of fashion designer? To stay on topic: Me likey the dark brown shoes with navy, unless it's a light navy, in which case black can work out very nicely. I don't really care for tan shoes with navy, but in my heart of hearts, I can forgive those who do.

offshore observer

Reaction score
Could it be that prinseugen is really Marc Grayson?

No.

I mean, really, who would go to the trouble of constantly creating new aliases for the express purpose of insulting people on an online forum.  No one's life is that empty.  Right?

No.  No one's life is that empty.

prinseugen

Reaction score
(A Harris @ 17 Oct. 2004, 01:26) Koji is a very talented pianist. Koji, are you still playing for Mikhail Baryshnikov?
Yes; strangely, he still deems it worthy enough to still work with me despite my loafer fetish, go figure. On a side note, I was stuck in the Trenton train station (an exceedingly depressing place, especially at midnight on a sat. night) during the business rush hour and saw five gentlemen lined up like ducks in a row. All five were wearing either suits or a sportscoat/slacks combo, and yes, ALL FIVE were wearing tassled loafers. For the record, I object to the wearing of tasseled loafers with suits on aesthetic (one pair looked almost like a footjoy product one would don for a round of 18 holes) rather than proprietary grounds. Prince, my friend, I've met some gigantic egos in my day in the music field but none take themselves quite as seriously as you do. Bravo. koji
You are a pretentious bore, koji, and to think that so many tiresome sycophants feel the need to overlook your insulting rubbish, while focusing on my logical resistance to it is truly mindboggling. A place where truculent twits like you are prized in this fashion is of no interest to me. As to manton's Grayson remark: I was unimpressed with the fellow's unrelenting negativity, but you are another of these sanctimonious malcontents; I have no connection to the guy, but in spirit, we are not so far apart, since Grayson was at least honest in his judgments. And I have never until this very post insulted a bloody soul, but koji is a risible little wretch. And to all of you who rushed to defend the indefensible: congratulations on your weak, politically correct herd mentality. Miserable peasants. J: you may block me from posting on the site, but it would be wasted effort, since I will now depart of my own volition. And congratulations again for providing a forum that gave me great pleasure for a short period, and where many persons benefit from sterling advice.

Kaga

Reaction score
koji is a risible little wretch. And to all of you who rushed to defend the indefensible: congratulations on your weak, politically correct herd mentality. Miserable peasants.

J: you may block me from posting on the site, but it would be wasted effort, since I will now depart of my own volition. And congratulations again for providing a forum that gave me great pleasure for a short period, and where many persons benefit from sterling advice.
Eugen:
Banzai.
Good riddance.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads