• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoe Care Help (Part Ostrich)

knezz

Reaction score
Greetings,

I’m seeking some opinion on shoe care for part leather, part ostrich shoes. I purchased a pair of Mezlan Tasca Wingtips. They are by far more progressive that any shoe I own but I wanted to spice things up a bit (mid-life crisis maybe). The shoes are a bit darker than the picture. They have an antique look. I used Kiwi neutral on only the leather part – leaving the ostrich sections alone.

I’m thinking nothing needs to be done to the ostrich sections?

I chose neutral Kiwi as the shoe has different color leather (antiquing). Are there any other suggestions?

BTW: I was surprised at how nice the shoe is made and it’s fit. I’m normally and Allen Edmonds McAllister, Park Ave, Strand, 5th Ave guy.

See pic of the shoe from Nordstoms (they are darker than they appear on the pic).

http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/mezlan-tasca-wingtip-oxford/3189791?origin=keywordsearch&resultback=2320

Thanks for the help.

Last edited:

Hadrius

Reaction score
Is that really ostrich? Doesn't look like any of the ostrich I've seen on here before...

phoenixrecon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
its not real ostrich leather.... its embossed... so its leather made to look like something else....

well now im confused... the shoes on the bottom say genuine ostrich but the description says embossed. so who knows.

Last edited:

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm quite sure that the sales description is off-base--Nordstroms doesn't know what they are talking about, IOW.

I could be wrong...without actually handling the shoe, there's no way for me to know for sure...but that looks like ostrich leg to me. I really like that part of the ostrich...I call it "dino-skin".

I doubt the maker would be legally able to pin a "Genuine Ostrich" label to the bottom of the shoe if it weren't.

knezz

Reaction score
The plate on the bottom of the shoe as well as the literature states genuine ostrich. Either way the ostrich didn't make me lean towards the shoe it was the look. Once they arrived the fits is well.

Assuming they are ostrich how should they be cared for?

knezz

Reaction score

I could be wrong...without actually handling the shoe, there's no way for me to know for sure...but that looks like ostrich leg to me. I really like that part of the ostrich...I call it "dino-skin".quote]

It seens as if you have been around the block a few times. You are correct "ostrich leg".. I hope ostiches don't pee down their legs...

http://www.mezlanshoes.com/store/item.asp?ITEM_ID=1859&DEPARTMENT_ID=34 Look at the description. BTW this picture is more a reprentation of the color. The shoes I have are a darker brown as shown. The shoe would not have been as attractive to me if they had the standard ostrich look.

Last edited:

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

The plate on the bottom of the shoe as well as the literature states genuine ostrich. Either way the ostrich didn't make me lean towards the shoe it was the look. Once they arrived the fits is well.
Assuming they are ostrich how should they be cared for?

Main thing is to keep them clean.

Other than that...Renovateur, Lexol, Bick4, or any exotic/reptile conditioner. Polish with an appropriate cream.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads