• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Magnanni style 5018 crocodile loafer care

Reaction score
I tried using Bickmore exotic spray and then chamois oil. The first left a dull cloudy film on the shoe. The second did not correct it.

How should I polish these shoes?

I received the following lackluster response from Magnanni:

“Thanks for reaching out. I'm not familiar with these products, but I cant image it should leave a full cloudy film on the leather. My best recommendation at this point would be to find a local shoe shine or cobbler who could help you with the specific pair and show you the best way to care for them. My normal recommendation is to use our neutral leather cream on the shoes. Or if you want to match the color or add color back in, I'd do the Cream with the corresponding color.”

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have a pair of lizard loafers and just use your regular shoe cream and leather conditioner.

I once bought a jar of Saphir's Special Reptile Beauty Milk, which is marketed as being for exotics. Like you, I found that it leaves a cloudy residue, and I didn't find it to be anything special. I've stuck with my Allen Edmonds conditioner.

Reaction score
I found some Venetian leather balm in my shoe care drawer that mentioned use on reptile leathers on the label. I used it, and it appears to have fixed my problem.

maxalex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a pair of lizard loafers and just use your regular shoe cream and leather conditioner.

I once bought a jar of Saphir's Special Reptile Beauty Milk, which is marketed as being for exotics. Like you, I found that it leaves a cloudy residue, and I didn't find it to be anything special. I've stuck with my Allen Edmonds conditioner.
I've never had a problem with Saphir Reptan polish on my vintage Italian lizard shoes, maybe that's a different product? Possibly normal polish would be fine and people overthink this...

Last edited:

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I've never had a problem with Saphir Reptan polish on my vintage Italian lizard shoes, maybe that's a different product? Possibly normal polish would be fine and people overthink this...

I wouldn't say it's a problem, I just don't find it to be special. Seems like needless differentiation to me.

IMO, there has been a boom in online dress shoe culture where people are selling needless shoe care products and very strange-looking CM shoes. All this is done to just make a buck off people. Green oxfords, red loafers, etc. And then tons of tutorials and shoe care products to further engage the audience.

In the last ten years, I feel like I've seen more threads on here of people asking how did they ruin their shoes. In almost all cases, it's from someone who bought all these fancy shoe care supplies and went overboard with the technique. I think most people will be fine with basic cream, wax, and conditioner.

maxalex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't say it's a problem, I just don't find it to be special. Seems like needless differentiation to me.

IMO, there has been a boom in online dress shoe culture where people are selling needless shoe care products and very strange-looking CM shoes. All this is done to just make a buck off people. Green oxfords, red loafers, etc. And then tons of tutorials and shoe care products to further engage the audience.

In the last ten years, I feel like I've seen more threads on here of people asking how did they ruin their shoes. In almost all cases, it's from someone who bought all these fancy shoe care supplies and went overboard with the technique. I think most people will be fine with basic cream, wax, and conditioner.
Bravo amico! I don't miss much about my previous life in NYC but I do miss the shoeshine guys at Grand Central who made every polish look amazing, with the same three or four products.

Reaction score

Actually, I took the finish off of two different pairs of shoes by using what appeared would be an appropriate product. One was a pair of Johnson and Murphy saddle dress shoes on which I used Cole Haan leather conditioner. Took the color and the finish right out. The same thing happened with a pair of brown Allen Edmonds Strands. I can’t recall specifically what I used on those. It might’ve been the same stuff. I had to send those back for recrafting. Since then, I use only Allen Edmonds products on those shoes.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Actually, I took the finish off of two different pairs of shoes by using what appeared would be an appropriate product. One was a pair of Johnson and Murphy saddle dress shoes on which I used Cole Haan leather conditioner. Took the color and the finish right out. The same thing happened with a pair of brown Allen Edmonds Strands. I can’t recall specifically what I used on those. It might’ve been the same stuff. I had to send those back for recrafting. Since then, I use only Allen Edmonds products on those shoes.

I had the same experience with Saphir's Renovateur on a pair of Saint Crispin's shoes.

There used to be a member here named DocHolliday who often preached that people were buying overly fancy shoe care products and he didn't understand why. He bought very basic creams and waxes at his local cobbler and thought those were fine. I've come around to his view. If you have crust leather shoes, certain products can be very harsh.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads