• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoe Care for Rarely Worn Shoes

AunToni

Reaction score
This will sound strange and gross, but has anyone here had an issue with what appears to be very small white bugs (they can easily be crushed) crawling around on the bottom of the shoes and inside the shoe boxes? I live in a very humid area and have countless shoes, as does my gf, but I just noticed in doing some "spring" cleaning that we have these bugs.
I have no idea what they are. I thought might be grain mites or something, but I have no idea how they got there or why they are there. I only find them in the shoe boxes or on the bottom of shoes that my gf has in her shoe closet (these shoes are not inside boxes or shoe bags). For me, all of my shoes were in boxes and inside shoe bags, inside a large closet.
I've since bought some stuff to absorb moisture, including camphor wood sticks, but I can't find anything about these bugs online in English. However, since we live in China, I searched in Chinese and found numerous people talking about them and they all say they are attracted to moisture, etc.
In panic mode, I bought a ton of stuff to reduce moisture, I threw away all the boxes and replaced them with plastic boxes, washed all the shoe bags and let the shoes sit in the sun for a day while also applying some treatment for the soles , hoping the chemicals will kill the bugs.
Sorry for rambling, but no idea what to do. Seems they are mostly harmless in the sense that none of our shoes are damaged, but ****! help, haha.

Mr G

Reaction score
Any conditioner in particular you swear by? I have a couple of jars of neutral Saphir cream polish that I would lean towards using, but always interested in alternatives?
Try pure polish products its organic natural ingredients and affordable

Phrank

Reaction score
Cedar shoe trees are a must - period.

Some good conditioner, I use only Saphir products (the absolute best in my opinion), 6 months or yearly, brushed properly, especially for my cordovan shoes/boots - and again, most importantly, every pair of shoes or boots I have has a pair of cedar shoes trees.

Wicks any moisture or smell away, and maintains the shape of your shoes/boots.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Vigorous brushing seems to have done well for my shoes. I only use conditioner sparingly now.

Coloured cream conditioner for filling in scuffs with a toothpick.

Neutral cream conditioner for general conditioning purposes.

54039-all-purpose-suede-brush-495_1024x1024.jpg

A rubberized brush like that for my suede. It works much better than bristle brushes and doesn't rip off suede.

Phrank

Reaction score
Those are good brushes for Suede, which can be difficult to keep clean and brushed properly.

For my leather/Chromexcel and Cordovan shoes boots, I use Horsehair brushes only and for Cordovan I'll use a Boar Bristle brush, very stiff brush to deep clean the tighter pores on Cordovan leather.

At 10 pairs of Alden and Viberg boots, mainly Cordovan, and at least 8 pair of Alden and AE shoes, shoe trees, a good Horsehair brush, and again, cedar shoe trees have kept some pairs of shoes in perfect condition for over 20 years - the patina some of the Cordovan has developed is spectacular.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This will sound strange and gross, but has anyone here had an issue with what appears to be very small white bugs (they can easily be crushed) crawling around on the bottom of the shoes and inside the shoe boxes? I live in a very humid area and have countless shoes, as does my gf, but I just noticed in doing some "spring" cleaning that we have these bugs.
I have no idea what they are. I thought might be grain mites or something, but I have no idea how they got there or why they are there. I only find them in the shoe boxes or on the bottom of shoes that my gf has in her shoe closet (these shoes are not inside boxes or shoe bags). For me, all of my shoes were in boxes and inside shoe bags, inside a large closet.
I've since bought some stuff to absorb moisture, including camphor wood sticks, but I can't find anything about these bugs online in English. However, since we live in China, I searched in Chinese and found numerous people talking about them and they all say they are attracted to moisture, etc.
In panic mode, I bought a ton of stuff to reduce moisture, I threw away all the boxes and replaced them with plastic boxes, washed all the shoe bags and let the shoes sit in the sun for a day while also applying some treatment for the soles , hoping the chemicals will kill the bugs.
Sorry for rambling, but no idea what to do. Seems they are mostly harmless in the sense that none of our shoes are damaged, but ****! help, haha.

Like these?

Sinyo18

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I’m feeling ambitious, I’ll hit them with some conditioner maybe once a year. That’s for ones I have in racks like you. Others are in bags in boxes. Those I don’t do anything to until I rotate them out.
Conditioner, yes.

AunToni

Reaction score
Like these?

they look a little different, but about the same. however, they aren't anywhere else in the apartment. we live on the 35th floor and I checked our plants, nothing. Anyways, I put camphor wood sticks and some other stuff to absorb moisture in the closets. I threw away all the shoe boxes and replaced them with plastic shoe boxes. On most of the shoes I've noticed the "mites" are basically gone. So, who knows.

Thanks for the link though.

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Vigorous brushing seems to have done well for my shoes. I only use conditioner sparingly now.

Coloured cream conditioner for filling in scuffs with a toothpick.

Neutral cream conditioner for general conditioning purposes.

54039-all-purpose-suede-brush-495_1024x1024.jpg

A rubberized brush like that for my suede. It works much better than bristle brushes and doesn't rip off suede.

Parenthetically, this offers a solution to my own ponderings about suede maintenance, so thank you.

Reiver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just give my lesser worn shoes a good brushing every once in a while to stop any dust build up.

I wouldn't necessarily worry too much about conditioning unless they are actually starting to look or feel dry.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads