• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Shoe Care for New Shoes

Dapper Dandy

Reaction score
Let's say you just bought a new pair of shoes, and you want to take care of them properly. Right out of the box, what do you do to yours? Do you just wear them out for a full day? Break them in a few hours at a time at first? Polish them or clean them or wax them? I want to treat my new Sutor Mantellasis properly!

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I put on some shoe cream, then give them a full spitshine. The next day (the spitshine takes time) I wear them around the house for a couple hours. Only after a couple brief wearings do the shoes get taken for a full day outside.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dapper Dandy
Break them in a few hours at a time at first?

I wear them at home 3-4 times(put a piece of tape on the unworn soles or you may kill yourself on carpeting), then wear them exclusively in evenings out(or half-days) for another 3-4 wearings. The point is to warm them up before wearing them for 10-14 hours at a time.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I always thought the point of wearing new shoes a few hours at a time at first was so the shoes molded to the shape of your foot w/o undue foot pain. If your feet can handle it, is there a good reason not to wear them for a full day at first?

dan

Renault78law

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I typically add a few layers of polish then I wear them normally. I'd only use cream if they looked particularly dry.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I use leather conditioner, shoe cream, and two coats of wax polish. Then, if they're a tight fit, I wear them for several hours at a time to make sure they won't cripple me before subjecting my feet to a full day in new shoes.

I find that the leather conditioner and shoe cream help most scuffs just wipe off, but it takes about 15-20 coats of wax polish to get a really deep shine.

Dapper Dandy

Reaction score
I've also heard of people trying to get a layer of dust on them. Can anybody explain why you would want to do that? For those of you who wear them briefly for a few times, is it just for comfort, or is it better for the shoes somehow?

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How did Covid-19 impact your personal style?

• My style hasn't changed at all.

• My wardrobe hasn't changed but I am wearing casual clothes more often.

• I invested in new good quality leisure and casual clothes.

• I invested in new sartorial clothes taking advantage of the sales.

• I purged my closet during quarantine and I have nothing left to wear.

Results are only viewable after voting.