• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoe advise for an amateur

GinSoakedBoy

Reaction score
Hi All

I am a shoe enthusiast and have been reading up a lot of threads recently on SF. This forum is absolutely great - just joined today and this is indeed my first post.. Feeling excited!

I wanted to get some general advise & answers to my questions below from all the pro's out there. Pardon me for any stupid questions - I am an amateur when it comes to shoes but am quite keen to build up my collection & further my knowledge! My best shoes at the moment are a pair of Fratelli Rosetti's (blake construction) and a pair of rubber soled Bally's i got suckered into buying at the duty free at Heathrow airport.

I am looking to spend around £200 - £250 on a pair of black shoes for work (which I will use in rotation with another pair). My preference is for "sleeker" lasts (i am infatuated with the Vass U last and C&J 348 last for example). C&J is out of my budget at £350 (looking at their website) but is there anywhere i can get them at better prices? . I have a pair of Loake's (the Design line, not the 1880) but I gather from this forum that they are not very well made and generally come with cheap quality corrected-grain leather. Are there any other options that fit my budget? How about Loding / Meermin / Markowski? I feel Allan Edmonds is a bit conservative for my taste.

Also, i have some other basic queries:
1. I have been reading that a shoe conditioner is probably the most important product to apply for shoe care. Should i be using Conditioner + Cream + Wax polish or would Conditioner + Wax polish suffice? I did read Ron Rider's post (which was very useful), but saw a shoe care video on the John Lobb website that uses only Conditioner + Wax Polish.

2. There are a couple of shoes that i wear maybe once a year. Is there any harm done by keeping them in the shoe box (with shoe trees inserted) between wears? Or is it advisable to regularly polish / condition them?

3. What is the best way to identify corrected grain leathers and is it true that such quality would wrinkle more than calf leather? I did read that CG looks more shiny, plastic, uniform etc but i still find it hard to tell. For example, can one say if the upper in the link below is CG? The website says calf leather + Goodyear Welted, but i doubt its the case looking at the £155 price tag.
http://www.loake.co.uk/design-loake/victor.html

Thanks for reading all the way down! Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

Balfour

Reaction score
Loake 1880 (and only 1880) offer excellent price:quality at the lower end of your budget. Some of the ill feeling is about the lower ranges, which do indeed use corrected grain, are made abroad, etc. See: http://www.styleforum.net/t/354125/loake-appreciation-shoe-p0rn-thread/0_50

Herring Shoes (a mail-order retailer) are excellent. The have an own-brand shoe made by Cheaney, slightly over your budget, with the sleek last you are looking for: http://www.herringshoes.co.uk/produ...&catid=56&oldcolid=2452&stype=0&colourid=2451

Use HSAB code for a free pair of shoe trees (and look on their twitter feed for other discount codes).

Last edited:

GinSoakedBoy

Reaction score
Thanks Balfour.

The Loake 1880 range have wider lasts in general so not to my taste unfort.

I did go to my local Crockett and Jones store and tried out a few pairs and boy, were they comfortable! The 348 and 360 both look great after wearing.. getting really tempted to shell out that extra bit for a pair!

Anywhere i can get them at a discount? Looked up the PLal website but they don't have many left apart from odd sizes.. i'm a UK 9.5E on the 348

Cleav

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
GSB, you in the UK? Go to C & J factory shop. It is a lottery in that you do not know what you will find. Some times you'll be lucky...

amdaman

Reaction score
Thanks for replying - they look sleek on the picture there but from what I can see the width is E ??

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads