• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

shoe advice: you guys are good at giving it

dhinggok

Reaction score
So, I am in the fortunate position to be able to get a few new items in the coming weeks. I bought some Frye Chelsea boots and I returned them because the back heel was too big for my liking and the front was too rounded and elevated. I wanted that something that was rounded in the front, not square or anything of the sort, but something more subtle and not so elevated. I am now re-thinking my buying boots at all. I am in college. I am deciding between a pair of Puma Speedcat US version, Nike Dunks, J Crew Milbrook driving mocs, boots, which I can't seem to find any I like, or two American Apparel hoodies. I can get two of those items. Let me explain my rationale before you go presuming I have horrible taste.

I like the white and black US version Puma Speedcats. They are a nice flat shoe and they are versatile. I can wear them every day and I can wear them to a party too and not feel odd in a college campus.

I love Nike Dunk lows. I can wear them every day and I can wear to them clubs and bars, most of the time, but they define the outfit and I can't wear them with a nice button down. It seems too odd. With Dunks, I feel like you have to stick to a very certain style, so in that way, they aren't as versatile.

J Crew Milbrook driving mocs are nice and most importantly, they serve as the formal shoe for college kids here at Penn. I know you aren't supposed to wear them outside of summer and spring, but kids wear them year round here and they are very good for pulling off the button down and jeans look. They can also be worn with a t-shirt and jeans, but I would not want to wear them every day because despite what they are actually meant to be used for, it would be too formal for class.

Boots would be nice, but first and foremost, I can find a freaking pair I like. The ones I want are too expensive. Also, while boots are probably the most durable and every day shoe, I would feel weird wearing them every day here at Penn because I don't know many, if any at all, who have boots or more over, wear them often.

I have no American Apparel hoodies and I love to wear hoodies, jeans and a t-shirt because it is so comfortable.

I truly feel like the Pumas are probably the most versatile shoe considering where I am in life and all, but I am interested to see what you all have to say and if you have any other suggestions. THanks so much for the advice.

minya

Reaction score
buy a pair of Chucks.

(and some Dunk Highs, not lows. **** Dunk Lows.)

hrvatsko

Reaction score
anyone a fan of these?

_5220476.jpg

i'd buy them tomorrow if they didn't have the gigantic cross on the side. i'm tempted to buy them and try to remove it.

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would totally kill zombies while wearing those.

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No joke, I think I saw Simon Belmont wearing those.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hrvatsko
anyone a fan of these?

_5220476.jpg

i'd buy them tomorrow if they didn't have the gigantic cross on the side. i'm tempted to buy them and try to remove it.

Use a chainsaw to remove it, and be sure to drink heavily first or put on a bandanna over your eyes or something.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arethusa
These boots were made for zombie fightin'.
Yeah, bonus points if you have the chainsaw instead of one of your hands.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Those boots are...wow.

For the OP, I think Speed Cats are fairly nice shoes, I have a couple pairs and wear them from time to time, be careful about fit though, I've found them to be a bit tight in the toebox for people with wide feet. Also, a lot of people will have them, if you care about such things.

I like Nike Dunk Lows quite a bit, they're pretty slick and somewhat versatile. I think you could use them with any sort of outfit if you got the right color combo.

A nice pair of chelsea boots would be good but I wouldn't wear them every day. Maybe a different type of boot?

SomeGuy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by hrvatsko
anyone a fan of these?

_5220476.jpg

What shoes are those? They're really nice. Pity about the cross.

Nick M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SomeGuy
What shoes are those? They're really nice. Pity about the cross.
Look like Mark Nason boots. Check Zappos.com .

dhinggok

Reaction score
it's the puma future cats, not the speedcats. also, these boots are the only ones i have seen i like. anyone have any more input about this topic and what two i should pick up?

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nick M
Look like Mark Nason boots. Check Zappos.com .
Yeah, they're Nasons. Not sure on the quality of that label, but at the price they ask, my guess is not great. They do look decently cool in those pictures, admittedly, save for the cross. I advise buying a pair and storing them in case of undead attack.

familyman

Reaction score
Buy the most useful shoe first. Clearly one shoe won't do it all, ideally you'd have a pair of speedcats and a pair of driving mocs and a pair of boots. If you had all three pairs what would you wear most? Probably the cats? I'd get those first. When funds permit or they go on sale pick up a pair of driving mocs. When the snow starts to fly at Penn pick up a pair of boots. I always think of boots as more of a fall/winter thing anyway.

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I hate to do this, because no one should buy those Nason boots, but they're on sale at Nordstrom. $279 is still pretty steep, especially if you're just gonna get zombie blood all over them.

dhinggok, you're playing it pretty safe with those choices. That said, you're probably not gonna find a lot of positive opinions here. Speedcats are ubiquitous and dainty-looking; dunk lows are OK, but Dunk Highs look less like an average skate shoe; driving mocs are ubiquitous and not at all durable (enjoy the philly salt slush in those); AA hoodies are nice, but you don't wear them on your feet (and see the buying and selling forum to get a better price on them). I still recommend boots, but maybe they're just not your style. Are you saying you can buy two pairs of shoes? From your choices, I'd go with the dunks and driving mocs, because they're two totally different shoes that fit with totally different occasions. For boots, maybe a real workboot, like red wings or justin ropers. You'll have to wear them in yourself, though.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads