• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

shoe advice: you guys are good at giving it

familyman

Reaction score
Originally Posted by shoreman1782
For boots, maybe a real workboot, like red wings or justin ropers. You'll have to wear them in yourself, though.

This is wise. The one thing that's always confused me about this forum is the love for dry denim and breaking it in yourself so the distressing is 'real' and 'genuine' and then one thread over the love for pre-distressed boots. I understand that boots take WAY longer to really break in and show wear, but they also last much longer and are less fickle style wise.
I'll make a guess here and say that boots will be the next dry denim. Or not.

Reaction score
Originally Posted by familyman
I'll make a guess here and say that boots will be the next dry denim.
That's true for me. My selvage denim fund is now my boot loot. However, I don't see boots as a replacement for jeans, just another addiction.

cheapmutha

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by denimdestroyedmylife
replacement

you are getting more random by the minute... and i feel it is my fault. i know i broke your brain, but isnt it time you got it fixed?

cheapmutha

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
your mod... then it must be true.

on-subject... get some 2-tone dunks

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have these Future Cats, I like them. Had to size up though. WHat other sorts of boots do you like?

ratboycom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I own a pair of Chocolate Brown and Clay Red Speed Cats, they are very comfortable but suck if you plan to walk around on the street a lot. with that thin sole you feel every crack and crease in the ground. I think the FutureCats are pretty cool too. They stand out with the off center laces and split heel.

dhinggok

Reaction score
So, basically you think that the mocs and the Dunks and/or Speedcats are the best combo? If that is the case, what do you think about the Banana Republic Urban driving loafer :
http://www.bananarepublic.com/browse...scid=226984002

You said that the driving shoes wear out quickly, but this seems to have added support. I really, really like the J. Crew Milbrook penny loafers, but they only come in dark brown and I would ideally wear them with my black velvet blazer from Theory, which I highly recommend, or my pinstriped blazer, or possibly my plain dark blue blazer. Thus, I feel like I need black shoes, right?

cheapmutha

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i really dont like those br shoes.... too square and too black

familyman

Reaction score
Since you mentioned the Milbrook I have to add this as another option.
420-BRN.jpg
It's from http://www.quoddytrail.com/index.html handsewn in Maine, you choose the leather. They're largely made to order and (others have told me) you can choose to delete the heel foxing or slightly change other details. Resoleable for cheap and top quality leather. They should last you for years if they are a look that you like. They also have a venetian loafer style if you prefer that.
301R.jpg
You can get both shoes in black, brown or cinnamon. Let me know if I'm getting a little too trad for any of you.
smile.gif

cheapmutha

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
hmmm.... maybe im trad at heart, but i like those. would look good with some vintage 501s.

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Again, you're probably not going to offend anyone at school wearing those BR loafers, but I don't like them. That velvet jacket might go well with a pair of those Nort SF dunks, though.

Since whoever posted the Quoddy Trail link on AA (you, familyman?) I've really dug their 3-eyelet boat shoes.
601ld0.jpg

More Trad than dhinggok is looking for, I'm betting. (Un)fortunately, I just bought a pair of J Crew's 2-eyelets for $30.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads