• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoe advice for med student

valuefrog

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I'm a med student who will be on the wards, and would appreciate any recommendations on shoes. I'm looking for something that is comfortable to stand in for many hours, yet don't want to completely sacrifice any stylistic sense. This may sound like heresy, but I'd prefer a shoe with a rubber sole so that they won't get ruined if it rains.

Previous posts have mentioned Geox, but I don't have any experience with them. I'm open to pretty much anything.

Thanks!

VacheronMD

Reaction score
Eventually you won't care about style when you are wearing scrubs, I used to wear eccos in 3rd and 4th year, now I just rock new balance/saucony's since I am in OR all the time...maybe you could try ecco or rockport? Geox as mentioned before is excellent as well, but when you are on your feet all day...
uhoh.gif

Four Aces

Reaction score
Geox would be a great choice if wearing all day. In addition, Geox has some nice dressy style comfie shoes.

suitsusid

Reaction score
Timberland shoes are very comfortable for all day. If you want to spend a little extra check the Prada rubber sole shoes these too are very comfortable but cost about £200.

R's
Sid

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've had the ecco rubber soled dress shoes and they fall apart and crack quite easily. They also squeaked pretty badly and that was really really annoying. I've had the "city" edition and also the Trek II hiking shoe...which actually might be good too..they are Gore tex and are extremely comfortable. They are a tad heavy-ish.

I still like my Prada Linea Rossas, despite all the hate on them here. lots of cushioning and quite comfortable and they have so far taken quite a beating with very little wear on them.

coachvu

Reaction score
I wore Allen Edmonds for all my third year rotations. They are comfortable and look much better than Merrell, Geox, etc. Many of their shoes have rubber soles. I also wore Birkenstock clogs in the OR. I'm sure half your class is telling you to buy those Dansko clogs, but they look silly and are pretty expensive.

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ecco worked for me.

Not the best looking but more comfortable than AE which I would sometimes wear on shorter days or when I knew I wouldn't be standing/walking a lot.

When on call and during surgery and Ob, I would wear sneakers (with booties on top).

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Can you wear some suede loafers?
They're very classy and comfortable in the same time..
Boat shoes? Such as Sebagos...They're quite conservative looking for boat shoes and you can stay up all night in them ...

robot

Reaction score
I had a pair of black Eccos that got me through medschool and two years of residency. Leather uppers clean up easily, and they look acceptable under scrubs.

NiFTY

Reaction score
i don;t know how it is in the US, do you wear scrubs around the wards? i am a doctor in australia and when not in theatre i wear any shoe you would normally see on style forum. almost entirely leather soled, i just normally have a leather insole for sole additional padding. I find fatte a mano santoni to be quite comfortable. In theatre i wear 5 dollar immitation crocs, i would wear anything that you would be sad to get blood all over.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 98 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads