• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shirt + Tie Question

kuslamb

Reaction score
Sorry to start another one. I have gone thru the WAYWRN's plus the conservative business dress's + older similar threads and still need a little assistance.

I am wearing a shirt very similar to this - http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/brooks-...shirt/3175599?origin=category&resultback=6498 - Essentially white background with a grid check. The grid lines on my shirt are 1/2 black and 1/2 blue. The black and blue lines go in both directions (as opposed to black horizontal and blue vertical). Shirt is Robert Talbott.

I am wearing a charcoal suit w/ black shoes. It is an evening wedding at a country club, so a little dressier is okay.

Pocket square options are white linen, or various shades of blue with white piping linen, or none of course.

Please recommend a few tie options. I have never worn this shirt with a suit as I typically wear solid white or blue with texture with this suit.

I was thinking diagonal stripes in blue. white, and another color, but not confident on that look.

Any recommendations would be great. Additionally, specific links to previous wearers of a similar look would be even better.

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For an evening wedding with country club reception I go with the solid shirt. The check is a bit informal in my mind.

White square is good - contrasting piping is fine.

For a tie, silver satin or glen plaid is of course traditional. But not required.

Why not look for something in the gray/silver range and be all out classy?

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
tie possibilities with this shirt are endless. personally for a wedding id follow gdot and go solid. Preferrably a solid white. For a tie, go with silver or a glenplaid and white square with black piping. :slayer:

***nordstrom sells brooks brothers? never knew that.

Last edited:

kuslamb

Reaction score
Thanks to both. In terms of non-wedding attire, and trending toward conservative business dress, what would you recommend with such a shirt.

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks to both. In terms of non-wedding attire, and trending toward conservative business dress, what would you recommend with such a shirt.

For business dress a wide navy/white stripe could be fine, a grenadine solid, lot's of different patterns - just be sure the scale of them is very different than the pattern in the shirt.

And......sorry to disappoint you.....but in the strictest sense this shirt would not be conservative business dress. Although - unless you are in a VERY conservative environment I don't think you have anything to worry about in that regard.

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score

almost any color of a classic rep tie would work. id just avoid too small of stripes. purple pindot is a favorite of mine too...that would look grea. really any pindot color would work. I think as long as you get a good material tie, any color or pattern will work fine.

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads